Alvinston Flyers moving to Petrolia

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Caledonia Fan

Alvinston Flyers moving to Petrolia

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/02/ ... rolia-move

If the JR-B cuts back on 20 year old's. This should help some of these JR-C teams.
Plus JR-C can have 4 21 year old's.
Port hockey1

Re: Alvinston Flyers moving to Petrolia

Post by Port hockey1 »

Hasn't Jr. hockey already failed in Petrolia in the past?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Blades

Post by Blades »

Petrolia had a pretty decent club when they were the Jets. Won the league (it was league back then, not conference like it is now). When they were a winning club, attendance was good and they had enough volunteers to take care of most of the stuff. It seemed once the team went on a bit of a slide, so too did other things. Fewer people attended the games, not enough volunteers and a change of ownership a few times, IIRC. I remember one game I attended in Petrolia and I was quite surprised to find they had no one manning the goal lights (I know it's not the right term but words have a tendency to fail on me too often, sorry) behind the net. I asked about it and was told they didn't have enough people to get that position covered so they went without. I *think* it was a playoff game, but hey, I've been wrong before.
I also remember when they had a horn and the person blowing it often, loud and long was Lonnie ??? (can't remember his name either). It almost seemed that when he was no longer attending the games, attendance dropped and the number of volunteers decreased. There were a few games I attended in Petrolia and there were considerably more fans from/supporting the team from Sarnia than there was supporting the Jets.
Fewer volunteers, fewer fans, a team either not making the playoffs or out in the first round makes it difficult to run a team monetary-wise. In stepped the current ownership who took them to Forest where they became the Lambton Shores Predators.
Mind you, this was Jr B hockey and the cost to run a Jr B club is higher (and in some cases, considerably higher) than a Jr C club. Perhaps at a Jr C level, the town of Petrolia might better support the team and make a go of it -- at least from the standpoint of money. I'm not sure how competitive their minor system is at the current time but it's worth a try, I would think.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Hopefully this is a good move for them. I understand that the Squires have good support in Petrolia, and they've been looking to get a Jr. team back, so I hope this works out for them.

There goes the rumours that the Preds are returning to Petrolia.

And you're correct about Lonnie. I had many battles with him across the ice.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.