Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Marcie

Re: Trades

Post by Marcie »

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

"The Strathroy Rockets finally officially released forward Matt McGhee. The 17-year-old London native played his last game for the Rockets on November 6 in St. Marys. He stepped away to play high school hockey and concentrate his efforts on a golf scholarship."

From the article above.

Finally is the operative word here. McGhee has also returned to midget hockey with the London Jr Knights. Allegedly the Rockets had demanded $3K for his release earlier, but since this was done at the deadline I am thinking the price likely went down since he wont likely be returning to the GOJHL.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

My breakdown of the GOJHL Trade Season.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/gojhl-trade-season/
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/01/12/brend ... e-deadline

The best two pickups on the trade deadline.Should be a exciting playoff race.
I like want they said about Caledonia.
"Someone has to try to knock them off"
The Nationals figure they're up for the job.
But that mean's getting past Conference leading Leamington in the playoffs.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

If the Rockets were trying to deal McGhee for 3 grand, that would imply that he still wanted to play in the GOJHL, not just with the Rockets. I can't see where he is worth $3000. The Rockets' best player isn't worth 3K. Book value is likely just a couple of hundred bucks. I enjoyed watching him play. He brought a lot to the team.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Marcie wrote:If the Rockets were trying to deal McGhee for 3 grand, that would imply that he still wanted to play in the GOJHL, not just with the Rockets. I can't see where he is worth $3000. The Rockets' best player isn't worth 3K. Book value is likely just a couple of hundred bucks. I enjoyed watching him play. He brought a lot to the team.
Uh... players in this league get dealt for a lot more than 3K. PPG scorers generally go for 5K+...
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I heard that a team in our conference paid 5 figures for an offensive defenceman.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I heard Caledonia payed 10k for Daniel Volpe.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I realize that big bucks are paid for many players, but not for a rookie forward like McGhee who scored 3 times in 18 games. He would be worth the standard release fee, nothing more.
leafs63

Post by leafs63 »

No real effect on Lasalle but Sarris can be called up to Spitfires if needed acording to the Windsor Star. Primeau can as well.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Generally 17 year old rookies that aren't go to guys aren't worth 3K after 18 games. A veteran might draw that but it would be to fill a specific role. I recall McGhee played with an edge and some teams could be looking for that over the long term, but usually at game 18 you are still learning the ropes. If the golf scholarship falls through it wouldn't surprise me to see him resurface in a year or two with another team.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Marcie wrote:I realize that big bucks are paid for many players, but not for a rookie forward like McGhee who scored 3 times in 18 games. He would be worth the standard release fee, nothing more.
More in response to "The Rockets best player isn't worth 3K"

As an example, a guy like Lucas Latina, would probably be worth 4-5K
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The way Latina is playing now he could be