Falcons continue to fall, Canucks continue to rise

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Falcons continue to fall, Canucks continue to rise

Post by Port hockey1 »

The Niagara Falls Canucks defeated the St.Catharines Falcons 5-3 today. The Falcons have been struggling as of late, going
0-5-1 over their last six games. Before today's game the Falcons coach kept saying a short bench was the reason they were facing adversity. Well today they had a full lineup and still came up empty. Plus, the Falls recently lost starting goalie Joseph Murdaca(OHL), and played today without their best player(Johnny Curran).

Every team deals with a short bench at times, it's time for the Falcons coaching staff to admit things simply aren't going well for them right now instead of looking for reasons why their opponent had an edge in the game. :roll:

A thing that might be a major concern for the Falcons is goaltending. Nobody would've ever said that just a few weeks ago, but things have drastically changed in recent weeks. Starter Joel Horodziejczyk had a red hot start to his season. He's easily been the best goaltender in the Shoe, posting 5 shutouts and being next to impossible to beat.

But over his last 4 games he's surrendered a whopping 12 goals. :shock: This is down right shocking when you consider he only surrendered 21 goals over his first 17 starts. Everyone must be getting nervous about that, nobody more than himself. He hasn't had a overly large work load during the first half. So I doubt it's fatigue.

I think he'll bounce back, but what if he doesn't? Backup Cameron Gray hasn't exactly been stellar this season. His 4-5-1 record, along with his 2.91 GAA & .898 SV% is very respectable. But not exactly number one stuff on a contending team either.

The Falcons now sit in 3rd place, trailing Ancaster by 3 points. The Falcons have 4 games in hand, but if they keep dropping games, the spread will get wider. They could potentially drop to 4th place by the end of the season.

Canucks keep rising

After their 5-3 win today, the Canucks now sit only 3 points behind the Falcons for 3rd place. The Falcons have 3 games in hand. But if they keep up their strong play, passing the Falcons isn't out of the question.

Niagara Falls is on fire, having won their last 6 games. They've gone 8-1-1 over their last 10 games, including a 4-3 win over Caledonia.

Forward Johnny Curran who put up 23 points in 12 games(10-13), is leaving for college. It will be a big hole to fill but they showed today that they can still soldier on without him in the lineup.

Goalie Adam Dentico has been a pleasant surprise for Niagara Falls this season going 9-3-1 with a sparkling 2.32 GAA & .923 SV%. After a bit of a rough go in the past, nobody was expecting such a drastic turnaround.

Looks like we might have a four team race. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
BeenThereDoneThat

Re: Falcons continue to fall, Canucks continue to rise

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Not often do I agree with what PH states but I do agree with his comments about both Niagara Falls and St.Catharines.
The Canucks are doing exactly what their coach said they would do, they just keep getting better.
I think the bigger problem in St.Catharines is that the Girhiny influence (Frank and Rick) seems to have disappeared.
The teams looks like a ship without a rutter floundering in rough seas :smt119
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote:Not often do I agree with what PH states but I do agree with his comments about both Niagara Falls and St.Catharines.
The Canucks are doing exactly what their coach said they would do, they just keep getting better.
I think the bigger problem in St.Catharines is that the Girhiny influence (Frank and Rick) seems to have disappeared.
The teams looks like a ship without a rutter floundering in rough seas :smt119
I agree, with this post. And with PH's. Unfortunately for the Falcons, if I was Girhiny (Frank), I'd pick watching my son play Major Jr A over coaching as well. Falcons may have to look for a new, comparable, head coach if Wolfe can't do it. As for Rick, don't expect to see him back. He has moved on.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I agree with the coaching thing in St Catharines. I've seen St Catharines play 6 times this year so far and every game they had a differ combination of coaches.I don't know if Wes Wolfe is the answer.
Volvoman

Post by Volvoman »

Remember somebody saying something about the goaltending a number of weeks ago? Being a Falcons fan for some time now, it was tough for me at times to admit to myself that maybe we didn't have the best goaltending in the league. Put an average gaolie on a very good team and they will shine. Not saying our goaltending isn't excellent, as I know it is, but I can call it like it is if I have to. Take a goalie like in Welland has and put him on a good team and look out! Scary to think what would happen if he was to come over to the Falcons. Just wondering....
Thoughts?
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

it seems to me the falcons have started to slide since mr johnstone stepped in to help coach
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

15timechamps wrote:it seems to me the falcons have started to slide since mr johnstone stepped in to help coach
Upset the chemistry maybe...Growing pains?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102