Strathroy player runs, injures St.Marys goalie

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

brad 36

Re: Strathroy player runs, injures St.Marys goalie

Post by brad 36 »

comon really rg if that was a chatham or a leamington player that did the to a strathroy goalie you would be the first one givin the chance to drop the hammer on the player these kids are old enough and experienced enough to know better and should have avoided the goalie end of story
co founder of the pylon chant!!!!!!
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

RocketGirl wrote:No I don't. I know that it wasn't intentional, it wasn't deliberate, and yes, Town went down, but within the rules of the OHA, and what the referees called, it's non-suspendable. He's a first-time offender at this level, his PIM's are relatively minor at 34, what kind of harsh sentence are you going to give him?

Now I'm curious about something. Why is it that you are all concerned about what's happening with the Rockets?
Yes we're struggling, but we've struggled before, this isn't new. What you seem to forget is that we have a new GM, new coaching staff, and pretty much a new board of directors and it takes time to clean up the mess that others have left.

Yes, our attendance is down, I get reminded of this on a weekly basis, but the fact is, the town of Strathroy doesn't support losers. Yes, we've been in the games and lost because of some mental errors that the other teams have capitalized on, but people are looking at the fact that we haven't won a game in 11 tries. And again, there are messes that some other people have left that we are trying to fix. And I can talk until I'm blue in the face, and I can come up with ideas on how we can reach out to the community and get them excited about coming to some games, or trying different things to get the attendance up, but I'm not on the Board of Directors. I came up with an idea last week that I pitched to the Secretary, and she agreed it's good, but considering we're 2 months into the season, should we save it for next year?
hows it feel to be the talk of the board not so nice now that its your precious rockets instead of the maroons wich have been the talk for the better part of 2 seasons
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I am trying to be objective on this since I am a Rocket supporter. I have watched it several times. It seems to me that McGhee's skate may have made contact with the Lincoln defender's skate. Because of this he appears to lose an edge and while trying to regain his balance falls awkwardly into the goaltender. Could have he tried harder to avoid contact? Possibly. Unfortunately from an early age players are ingrained with the thought that if you are falling and you can bump the goalie, you make contact even though they know it is dangerous and unsportsmanlike to do so. Did that happen subconsciously with McGhee? He may know the answer and he may not. It is a fast game and their isn't a lot of time to react. He hasn't shown any indication this season at all that he is a dirty player. I like the boy and enjoy watching him play. Any word yet from anyone as to how badly hurt the goaltender is?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

brad, it just proves the point that unless the conversation is about Chatham, Sarnia or Strathroy, nobody really cares.

And honestly, I don't think I'd be calling for McGhee's head if I was from St. Marys, but I'm not on that side. And if Gubbels or Ouellet got run over, it would depend on the situation on how I felt about it. You're throwing a hypothetical at me, until I'm in that situation, I can't tell you how I'd feel. At this moment, I feel bad for Town, and I hope that he's ok, but I don't think McGhee should be suspended for it.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ohaguru

Post by ohaguru »

Come on folks. We are talking about a Jr.B hockey player here, he knows how to skate and turned directly into the path between him and our goalie. I am sure that the supervisor that was at the game was not impressed with the on ice crew that didn't give him a Match Penalty.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

If it was any other team then strathroy rg would think it was suspendable.
End of a era in Leamington
peterpuck

Post by peterpuck »

my opinion the way i see the video , not to make any one mad, but he lost the puck at the top of the face-off circle yet continued on to the goalie instead of around the net. That would appear that he intentionally hit the goalie. the ref could have made a different penalty call instead of goaltender interference :?: :?:
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

oh and RG pretty sure people care when the topic is about the Flyers, considering there the team everyone is trying to beat.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

How does one know it "wasn't intentional"?

Grasping at straws?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

Conversely, how does one know it WAS intentional?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Administrator wrote:Conversely, how does one know it WAS intentional?
That's the point...Nobody knows per say. But as Peter Puck said, he lost the puck and continued towards the goalie. If it wasn't intentional, that was some coincidence. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

flyers2011 wrote:If it was any other team then strathroy rg would think it was suspendable.
And if it wasn't Strathroy, how would you feel about it? Lets say it was a Flyer that took out a goalie. What's your opinion then?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

If a leamington player did that i'd say suspend him. Theres no need for that.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Although you were rather quiet on the topic, you believe that Kyle Quick deserved to be suspended when he ran over Justin Tugwell last year? He didn't receive a penalty at all for that play, and that's back when we were allies and were sitting together and I seem to recall that you didn't have a problem with the incident. In fact, while Tugwell was laying on the ice not moving, I believe that's when you yelled at the Nats fan who was clearly upset by it to shut up.
Queen of the GOJHL

flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

and I do believe you also said it was not a penalty which that one was way different, Tugwell came way out of his net if you remember correctly there was no intent to injure. I also remember you yelling a few things that night, don't try and play that card on me haha
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

and also the reason I told the Nats fan to shut up was because the dad was swearing and there was kids around.
brad 36

Post by brad 36 »

and the plot thickens.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:Although you were rather quiet on the topic, you believe that Kyle Quick deserved to be suspended when he ran over Justin Tugwell last year? He didn't receive a penalty at all for that play, and that's back when we were allies and were sitting together and I seem to recall that you didn't have a problem with the incident. In fact, while Tugwell was laying on the ice not moving, I believe that's when you yelled at the Nats fan who was clearly upset by it to shut up.
The way you keep jumping to different incidents, makes it look like you're looking to prove two wrongs make a right?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You guys all seem to go back to things that I said 2,3,4 or even 5 years ago. Flyers said he feels any player that hits a goalie deserves a suspension, even Leamington players, so I brought up an incident involving 1 that he didn't have a problem with. And I never said that I did. You can go back to the topic, it's on page 5, near the bottom, called Justin Tugwell.

You guys were implying that I only feel this way about this occurrence because it involves a Rocket. I'm trying to prove that a) I felt the same way about one that didn't involve my team at all and b) when it did involve your team, you felt differently.
Queen of the GOJHL

Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Quick vs Tugwell was totally different from McGhee vs Town. It is just not a fair comparison. After a defensive breakdown, Tugwell left his crease to try to win a race for the puck with Quick and the collision occurred near the hash marks. Tugwell and Quick arrived at the puck at almost the same time. I remember it well, I was at that game. Town on the other hand was at the top of his crease square to the puck waiting for the shot after McGhee's drop pass. It is reasonable to give McGhee the benefit of the doubt that he didn't intend to injure, but was the collision avoidable? If he didn't intend to make contact with the Town it is at minimum a reckless play on his part that caused an injury. Similar to bringing your stick up and accidentally taking out an opponent's teeth, the onus is still on the player to be in control.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Well said oglethorp the 2 situations are not even comparable.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

....and then there was this incident,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIBE6qUZHoQ
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

wasn't there also a player a few years ago that got his jaw broke or something while playing against strathroy, I remember it was on the news and there was a huge thing about it. Cant remember the kids name
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:wasn't there also a player a few years ago that got his jaw broke or something while playing against strathroy, I remember it was on the news and there was a huge thing about it. Cant remember the kids name
Ferguson?
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Yeah i think thats who it was. Thanks port i couldnt remember was driving me nuts lol