Chatham: 2015-2016 season thread

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Chatham: 2015-2016 season thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

They look like they have a really good group of forwards. But after that I'm a little worried early on. I know these rosters aren't set in stone and teams will make changes. But I hope Chatham is able to find at least two solid defense men & a starting goalie.

They're saying this isn't a re-build, but I'm not so sure... What are the local fans expectations? I'm hoping for a 3rd-4th place finish. This division does look deep this season though.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
insanity

Re: Chatham: 2015-2016 season thread

Post by insanity »

I am thinking slow start and a strong finish. Fairly common for a team with a big personnel turnover. Happens to most teams.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

It seems there trying to get better on defense.I think there still waiting for the OHL cuts.They are never scare to make moves.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2015/09/ ... defenceman

Seems to be a lot of suspensions for using a discriminatory slur already. So far this year two during the season and one in the preseason.
Last edited by Caledonia Fan on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForThreeStrangeDays

Post by ForThreeStrangeDays »

It is possible that officials have been told that a rule of emphasis this year from the OHA prospective is on discriminatory slurs. Hence, they are to be more alert to such incidents and to make these calls.

Interestingly, one of the same officials from this game also made this same call in a Jr. C game the night before for a comment that many felt was well below the standard of what the intention is for a discriminatory slur.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

From Hockey Canada: discriminatory slurs. Rule 9.2(f) states: “Any player or team official who engages in verbal taunts, insults or intimidation based on discriminatory grounds (race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, language) shall be assessed a gross misconduct penalty and the referee shall report full details of the incident to the president (of the league).”

So if the player said something that doesn't fall into race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or language category, it is still considered a discriminatory slur? What the ref 'thought' he heard and what was actually said are two very different things.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The MHAO issued a memo last part way through last season making discriminatory slurs an area of emphasis for the officials and increased the sanctions after a noted increase in incidents. The directive was with a zero tolerance application, the penalty being a minimum 5 games plus a mandatory coach level respect in sport. The definition was very broad based as follows:

Discriminatory Slurs are defined as: Insults, intimidation or verbal taunts based on a person’s race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or language. What we are finding is profanity laced comments to a person’s perceived sexual preference seems to be the most commonly used slur.

It would not surprise me to see the OHA moving in a similar direction with stiffer penalties this season.

Hockey Canada 9.2 would be viewed as a minimum suspension, the OHA or GOJHL could increase the sanction(s) if they were so inclined.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The Chatham kid got a raw deal. I see the worlds obsession with political correctness has now hit Jr.B hockey.

This ref basically screws a kid out of seven games simply because he was offended. What a total tool, he needs to tune into the Howard Stern show or something and see this isn't the 60's anymore. :smt009
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

So I guess every team will be without several players for several games at a time. Because we all know every team has a lot of kids who use these taunts.

If this rule was enforced in the NHL...There'd be no players left to play the games. :P
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Information on Brandon Stapley suspension

http://m.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-story ... his-season
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Faubert, Krieger on fire early

Ian Faubert had a strong finish last season after being more of a role player his first few seasons in Chatham. He's picked up right where he left off, with 5 goals & 1 assist(6 points) through 4 games.

Chatham rookie Ross Krieger has enjoyed some early success as well. In 4 games the rookie's put up 5 points.(1 goal, 4 assists)

Expecting rookie goalie Colin Lauzon to have a solid first season in Chatham. He was one of the best goalies in the Great Lakes Jr.C hockey league(Essex) last season.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I was at the game last night, and the first period was very rough to watch. There were only 9 recorded shots on net in the first 11 minutes of the game.

As the game went on, it picked up and was actually a good game to watch.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.