G0JHL Losing Talent?

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

GoWest

G0JHL Losing Talent?

Post by GoWest »

Found this on the OJHL site (http://www.network54.com/Forum/243529/t ... ansactions).

9 (and counting) kids have jumped ship for the perceived greener pastures of that league.
Oglethorp

Re: G0JHL Losing Talent?

Post by Oglethorp »

The reality is that there is very much a perceived difference. Part of that stems from the OJHL marketing itself as a stepping stone to the OHL and NCAA. The GOJHL does send players to both as well but not in the numbers that the OJHL publishes. Realistically GOJHL championship teams are built with older players that the OHL has little interest in because of age. The OJHL appears to be a better road to the OHL. Some GOJHL teams are strengthened by players returning from the OJHL because they can see that the level is very similar, however these players are of no interest to the OHL teams, When they get the bulk of the icetime (as one would expect when coming back) and the 16 and 17 year olds don't factor in as much the OHL looks elsewhere. The young players in turn get frustrated being placed on the back burner and make a move for the greener pastures in the OJHL where they will be seen more.

The GOJHL needs to look at developing younger players better with the goal of marketing them to the OHL or the QMJHL. Since there is no national championship at B this would make sense. If more teams are looking more talent will stay. Some teams get too focused on the good players that are waivering on going to play JR C for the extra year or due to time commitments. The teams can win now with those players that are in their last year of eligibility but if the 17 year olds aren't playing, they aren't getting better, and if they are getting better soon enough they wont realize their potential. If the GOJHL becomes the place to develop for major junior then the players will come instead of go. The league will be perceived as better than "B" and can likely move to an A classification because no one can argue if similar numbers of players are graduating to major junior.

Just my opinion
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Oglethorp, I don't disagree with you but would make the same argument for players wanting to progress to the NCAA. The perception, incorrectly I believe, is that the OJHL is a higher caliber league. They do send way more to D1 and D3 players and actively celebrate those who make a commitment. Where is that in the GOJHL?

I also can't understand why players that receive a NCAA commitment while playing in the GOJHL feel the need to move to the OJHL for a year or two before going to school.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

A few Caledonia players have left I see, I think everyone knew Sorrentino wasn't going back to Pelham. :lol:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

I think both leagues are on the same track for NCAA, and those players are of interest later than the ones that are looking at major junior with wide eyes. I know of quite a few that as 17 and 18 jump to the OJHL for the purposes to be seen more by the OHL teams because they don't see as many coming directly from the GOJHL. Some agents/advisors will push younger players is that direction as well to be seen more, but will also tell you that the difference in playing caliber is very marginal.
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Other than the London Nationals' Drew Worrad (story below from the London Free Press) has anyone heard of any other Division I scholarships to the GOJHL?

Drew Worrad didn’t have to leave London to land a big-time U.S. college hockey scholarship with Clarkson.

The local puck pipeline to the south — dormant for nearly a decade — appears to be flowing once more.

“I don’t think there’s enough respect for this league,” said the 17-year-old London Nationals forward, who led the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League team in scoring this season. “One thing I’ve learned, the scouts will see you and they get to a lot of places. As long as you show every night you’re doing the right things, you’ll be seen.

“I didn’t feel the need to move and I’m just the start. I think there are a lot of guys who can get this opportunity.”

Justin Murray, the 16-year-old standout rookie defenceman, is likely next.

Most London and area kids jump to the Ontario Junior Hockey League and the Tier II ranks for a shot at the NCAA ranks. But these two are proving it’s not necessary, to the delight of the Nationals.

“Mike (London GM Mike Borrows) has put in a tremendous amount of work having schools in,” Nationals head coach Kelly Thomson said, “and recognizing we’ve got guys that make the jump to the OHL, why not the NCAA, too? We’ve been pushing for the last couple of years to change the landscape of players going to Tier II or Toronto to get scholarships and Drew’s been a huge part of that.”

Worrad visited Clarkson, about a six-hour drive away in Potsdam, NY, as well as Lake Superior State, St. Lawrence, Rochester Institute of Technology, Robert Morris and Canisius, before deciding.

Clarkson hasn’t stamped Worrad with an arrival date yet. He is likely heading back to junior this fall, but is still working out if it will be a return to the Nationals.

“It all depends on my development when I head (to school),” he said. “I know they’re looking for a big playoff run from me (he had nine points in the six-game win over Chatham) and that’s my main focus. We’ve already surprised a bunch of people. I think we can surprise some more.”

A month ago, it didn’t look like his season would outlast his big brother Jake, former London Knight and Belleville Bulls defenceman now with Western Mustangs. The Nationals were seventh seed knocking off No. 2 Chatham. Western, second in Ontario university West standings, were eliminated by seventh-seed Lakehead.

“I razzed him a bit that I’m playing longer, but he’s my biggest fan,” Drew said.

Now, the little brother has the Nationals back on the U.S. map.

The NCAA’s College Hockey Inc., will hold a local camp, with help from the Nats, March 31 to showcase more London kids.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Per the OJHL "Transactions" page, Drew Worrad just signed with the Oakville Blades of the OJHL. So much for the Nationals showcasing talent!

LEAGUE TRANSACTIONS

TEAM DATE TRANSACTION
Oakville 06/02/15 ADD Worrad, Drew (F) added to team
Burlington 06/01/15 ADD Peacock, Jordan (F) added to team
Burlington 06/01/15 ADD Gomes, Nathan (F) added to team
Burlington 06/01/15 ADD Sorrentino, Anthony (F) added to team
Cobourg 06/01/15 ADD McEneny, Austin (D) added to team
Cobourg 06/01/15 ADD Orlando, Robert (D) added to team
Georgetown 06/01/15 ADD Goodman, Lucas (F) added to team
Georgetown 06/01/15 ADD Crocker, Jordan (F) added to team
Trenton 06/01/15 ADD Hanlon, Daniel (F) added to team
Trenton 06/01/15 ADD Allan, Josh (D) added to team
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

This is another example of how the GOJHL could market itself better. You have go to twitter or individual team sites to see who has being signed but for the most part you can only find information on players on other league sites.