Caledonia headed to Sutherland Cup finals for second straight year

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Caledonia headed to Sutherland Cup finals for second straight year

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia hung on for a 2-1 win tonight, they win the best of seven series 4-1.

Bring on Elmira/LaSalle! :D
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Marcie

Re: Caledonia headed to Sutherland Cup finals for second straight year

Post by Marcie »

They are the best looking hockey club that I have seen in a long time. They make such great decisions with and without the puck. They can really make the game look easy. Their play was so clean they hardly gave the Flyers anything. Rarely would the Flyers have a second chance in front of the net and when they did their goaltending was jaw-dropping spectacular. Too bad they don't get more support. That rink should be full watching a team that plays at that high level. Looking forward to watching the finals.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Well said a team that good should be playing in front of a full house nightly. Flyers played much better tonight then last night. showed some heart and should of tied it late but in the end Caledonia is one of the best if not the best Junior B team I have seen. Good for them for advancing to the Suthy Cup finals cant see Lasalle or Elmira touching them but who knows. Congrats to my Flyers on another great season which produced a Western Conference Championship. In the beginning of the year if u said we would win the League id look at you twice after all the players the Flyers lost last season. Very successful season. Congrats to both teams.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The Flyers should be very proud of another first place finish & Conference championship.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

After reading some of the reviews on Caledonia, just wanted to say maybe now those who called me a band-wagon jumper understand how easy it was to watch that team and cheer for them.

A Welland fan first, but can they ever build a hockey team. :)
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

I never really commented on Caledonia cause well never seen them play, but you are absoulty right about them. Cant listen to a few of the other people, some of those people there teams didn't even win a playoff game so.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Congrats to Caledonia in reaching the finals again the biggest surprise to me is there goal tending I did not expect it to be has good has last season.
goalie34

Post by goalie34 »

Yeah, amazing team on the ice, but a team that leaves much to be desired off ice. Now on their second city in the last few years and still no one wants to show up, wonder why that is?
Here is their attendance for the last several years, compared to a team the Shoe has in Fort Erie that openly admits they're never going to win a championship, they are there to develop players.

08/09 brantford 325 fe 285
09/10 brantford 251 fe 216
10/11 brantford 134 fe 196
11/12 brantford 203 fe 197
12/13 caledonia 219 fe 255
13/14 caledonia 227 fe 277
14/15 caledonia 215 fe 191

Certainly seems like comparable numbers. When you consider 2009 Sutherland Cup winner, 2010 Sutherland Cup finalist, 2012 Sutherland Cup finalist, 2014 Sutherland Cup winner, and returning in 2015 you'd think the city(s) would get behind them.
But when you consider in this same recent past this team has done things from faking mailing address so players appear to be non imports to naming their trainer 3rd star in a game against their closest rival. Well I guess that's just a little glimpse into being able to answer the question I posted above.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

Is Caledonia's attendance really that bad?
Population 10,000 avg game att. 219
St. Kitts 131,400. Avg 440
Niagara Falls 83,000 avg 708
Chatham 44,000 avg 774
Sarnia 72,336 avg 1258
Pelham 16,598. Avg 191

Interesting to see population and attendance numbers, not that it means much.
insanity

Post by insanity »

another great job by Tony p.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

hes done wonders for the Flyers. Back to back League titles, no other coach of the Flyers can say that.