Caledonia scores 5 PP goals, dumps Leamington 6-2

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Caledonia scores 5 PP goals, dumps Leamington 6-2

Post by Port hockey1 »

The Corvairs easily won game 1 by a score of 6-2. The Flyers were missing a top forward, while the Corvairs just got one of their best players back to health.

I caught about 30 minutes of the game, Flyers played their game well, but it was no match for the defending Cup champion Corvairs. The Flyers scored first early, but the Corvairs tied it up later in the first period.

The Vairs led 4-2 after the second, shots were 41-21 for Caledonia.

The Flyers have a skilled team, they know where to be and what to do with the puck in high-pressure situations. But the Corvairs depth was still just too much. Several needless penalties pretty much hung the Flyers.

One thing I noticed, B.Bechard has gotten a lot bigger, still plays that hard nosed game too.

5 on 5 will be hard enough, keep taking needless penalties and this series will be over fast. What you saw tonight is what you'll get every game from the Vairs.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Re: Caledonia scores 5 PP goals, dumps Leamington 6-2

Post by Port hockey1 »

So Western Jr.B hockey fans...What do you think of Caledonia?

I realize a lot of people were probably seeing them for the first time this season, any thoughts?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Northofusa19

Post by Northofusa19 »

I think they have a pretty solid D. What I was not impressed with was the refereeing . Two guys getting kicked out for hits from behind yet I saw hits from behind that were not even called against Caledonia . And I watched both players from Caledonia turn their backs to the hitter . In terms of the game I saw the Flyers defence back in on their goalie way too far.I also saw a lot of turnovers at the bluelines with guys trying to carry the puck in on a D that was standing them up. .I personally believe that when you start getting into games like this , they should bring in refs from outside both ways . I was very impressed with how Caledonia played in their own end .I think they were hardly pressured down low much . I do think there were a couple of stupid penalties on the flyers side and it appeared that they were getting frustrated which lead to this ie : a really dumb spear infraction .I did however think that five on five the teams were fairly even. I hope the coaching staff from Leamington figures out a better PK or this series is over fast.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

5 on 5 I thought it was pretty even. personally thought the reffing was good tonight didn't really have any complaints. Flyers made there own bed by taking stupid penalty after stupid penalty. Bechard for example. U take a dumb holding penalty, they score, then u spear a guy and take a 4 min penalty. This is the Sutherland Cup. Caledonia has a awesome power play and very good at blocking shots. Flyers stay out of the box they can compete and make it a close series. Flyers take penalties like tonight and we will have a sweep. Announced attendance was 651, looked like a bigger crowd then that fans were really getting into the game not what I expected but was fun to see. Hoping to see some Caledonia fans make the trek to Leamington sunday night.
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Northofusa19 wrote:I think they have a pretty solid D. What I was not impressed with was the refereeing . Two guys getting kicked out for hits from behind yet I saw hits from behind that were not even called against Caledonia . And I watched both players from Caledonia turn their backs to the hitter . In terms of the game I saw the Flyers defence back in on their goalie way too far.I also saw a lot of turnovers at the bluelines with guys trying to carry the puck in on a D that was standing them up. .I personally believe that when you start getting into games like this , they should bring in refs from outside both ways . I was very impressed with how Caledonia played in their own end .I think they were hardly pressured down low much . I do think there were a couple of stupid penalties on the flyers side and it appeared that they were getting frustrated which lead to this ie : a really dumb spear infraction .I did however think that five on five the teams were fairly even. I hope the coaching staff from Leamington figures out a better PK or this series is over fast.
Good take on the game, but I have to disagree with the hit from behind on Peacock. I thought it could've been a 5, I didn't see the other one.

As for the reffing, Bolibruck is a awful ref, he makes cocky, sarcastic comments to the players, then loses his mind when a kid even questions something and slams his hands on his hips(10 minute misconduct). He, and the guy who's initials suit him well (D.H. :mrgreen: ), are two of the worst refs in the Shoe.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:5 on 5 I thought it was pretty even. personally thought the reffing was good tonight didn't really have any complaints. Flyers made there own bed by taking stupid penalty after stupid penalty. Bechard for example. U take a dumb holding penalty, they score, then u spear a guy and take a 4 min penalty. This is the Sutherland Cup. Caledonia has a awesome power play and very good at blocking shots. Flyers stay out of the box they can compete and make it a close series. Flyers take penalties like tonight and we will have a sweep. Announced attendance was 651, looked like a bigger crowd then that fans were really getting into the game not what I expected but was fun to see. Hoping to see some Caledonia fans make the trek to Leamington sunday night.
Good description flyers2011. I personally thought the Corvairs had the edge 5 on 5(Only saw 30 minutes though). Mostly their speed and ability to make something out of what looks like nothing at times.

But the Flyers are no pretenders. Already down a key forward, and some bad penalties might have made it look worse than it was. They are also very good at making plays out of what looks like nothing, but they seemed to be a little surprised by Caledonia's ability to turn the pressure up as much as they do at times.

I have a feeling game 2 will be a lot closer. Flyers will come out flying on their ice, have played great hockey at home all season. :)
Northofusa19

Post by Northofusa19 »

Port
I don't get into disputing ones opinion but I have read a lot of dialogue between you and others and it seems that you quite enjoy it.
That being said I will disagree with you on your call of the first hit from behind on Peacock .It was very clear that he turned his body inward
probably because he knew that 27 was on the ice. I wont dispute that it was a hit from behind but kids are constantly turning in on potential
hits .I personally think he should have taken the hit to make the play but in my opinion he turtled and thus resulting in a hit from behind.
The reason I wasn't fond of the reffing is because most refs are very aware of this fact and usually call it boarding .I think there was a certain
bias and these guys were more than happy to dish out misconducts. I can also refer to three hits made by Caledonia players whom were not even called. This is why I suggested outside refs. Im not trying to take anything away from a very talented Corvair team .They are very impressive .