Justin Tugwell

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Justin Tugwell

Post by Port hockey1 »

I see Tugwell took a delay of game penalty late in the third period. This led to a Flyers goal that tied the game, sending it to OT.

So, did he kick the net off, or shoot the puck over the glass??? If it was for kicking the net off, maybe one of the big shots down at the OHA can explain why it was allowed to happen 17 times in the first round!

Anyone have a count going on how many times Tugwell has kicked it off in this game?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
TheRealJeffS

Re: Justin Tugwell

Post by TheRealJeffS »

It was for shooting the puck over the glass.
"You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free."

Denis Lemieux
TheRealJeffS

Post by TheRealJeffS »

Justin Tugwell stopped 70 of 72 shots in the Nationals 2OT win this evening over the Leamington Flyers.

Incredible performance.
"You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free."

Denis Lemieux
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

That was an amazing performance.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Great game tonight by Tugwell, he stole the show. Was one of the most exciting games ive seen in some time. hopefully with Amante, Mcghee and Parlette back in the line up for Saturday they can provide some more offence.
End of a era in Leamington
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

:lol: Great goaltending and lucky bounces won it for the Nats tonight. Will be a different game in London on Saturday. 70 shots stopped and the peanut gallery is still whining about kicked posts... some people's kids just crack me up :smt005
Northofusa19

Post by Northofusa19 »

Hey bud , you want to tell me how 70 plus shots isn't enough offence . Tugwell squared himself to all the shots and his goaltending was the best i,ve seen in years .He won that game .The only way to beat this team is to get bodies in front of this guy so he doesn't see the puck .But this kid was unbelievable and he deserved the first ,second, and third star .He knocked the net off a few times which he seemed to have mastered when to do that too . All I can say is WOW . If it wasn't for this kid the game could have ended up in double digits .Leamington needs to figure out how they can get that many shots with him not seeing the puck .Its plain and simple ,if you cant see it you can't save it.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

I'm trying to get a handle on this one from someone who might have been at the game.

No doubt 70 saves is incredible and deserves all 3 stars, but was the play that lopsided? It looks like 26 of the shots came in OT (24 in the 1st OT alone!)

So that's 46 shots vs. 23 during regulation. Did Leamington dominate with a lot of good scoring chances, or were a lot of the shots from the outside?

Was London ever in this at all (except of course for stealing the win)?
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

Many of the 70 shots were from close range but the Flyers tried shots from everywhere. was also fortunate Tugwell ate that several shots (which weren't counted) rang off the posts. In that first OT Leamington had the Nats hemmed in their own zone for about 15 minutes of he period and just kept firing shots at him. That is really where Tugwell and the Nats won the game.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

For the most part, Flyers controlled the play -- as they tend to do in their home barn. Their ice is enormous and they have the speed, skill and experience to know how to play it to their advantage. They only lost twice during reg season at home so letting the Nats steal the home-opener is a big deal. When Flyers head back to London, where they'll have to play on a slightly smaller surface -- and where they lost their last league game against the Nats in OT -- it will be a different game. The shots will not be so lopsided Saturday because Thomson will find a way to tighten up the back-end, and he will also make some further adjustments to the style of play the Nats had to adopt against the Maroons so they can better match the speedy Flyers. Tugwell had the posts on his side last night but don't fool yourself that his play was anything less than stellar. Clearly he has been a difference maker throughout the post-season. Which is why the next time Quick runs over (oh, sorry, I meant to say accidentally bumps into...) Tugwell, there will be a bounty on his head -- and there may be one already given a prior deliberate/incidental collision earlier in the season that resulted in Tugwell having to leave the game. I expect Wheaton will play Sat for the Flyers and think he's marginally better than Barrett when it comes to rebound control -- who kicked out a fat one that ultimately ended last night's game in OT. Amante's return is going to help the Flyers, without question. But don't forget London was without their top point-getter (Worrad) last night, which helps explain to some extent the high differential on the shot count. Even without Worrad in the line-up, this is going to be one hell of a series. If Worrad makes it back soon, it's going to be a coin toss and this series will go 6 or 7 games. My bet is Flyers are probably thinking they "won" last night because of all the posts they hit and shots they took -- despite what the scoreboard said. They will come in Saturday night with lots of swagger. They need to lose one more to realize the Nats are for real. Just like the Maroons...
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

They should have some swagger, there the defending conference champs and finished First Place, that being said they all know the Nats are for real, They beat Chatham so yeah there for real. As for the Quick comment about running over the goalie, give your head a shake. The Flyers completely dominated this game from start to finish if it wasn't for Tugwell it would of been 10-2 after regulation. Tugwell has always been the real deal, I remember a couple seasons back when Davis was still in Lambton Tugwell made like 60 saves against the Flyers. Coach Piroski will change a few things up though and with Amante back that will help the Flyers. I also expect a 6 or 7 game series, that's why it should be this time of year. Maybe the Flyers can disappoint some of the Nat fans and those few Rocket fans supporting the Nats. GO FLYERS GO
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Qwerty wrote:Their ice is enormous......When Flyers head back to London, where they'll have to play on a slightly smaller surface --
You do realize that both ice surfaces are 200' x 100', right?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

@Northofusa: With Amante and the other missing Flyers in the lineup, they would've played even better. I look at like, 70 shots...Without three regulars...Wow.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

This is funny, Leamington is a lot better than London, yet here's buddy(above) saying how different it will be in London.

Um...I'd wager the Flyers outshoot the Nat's every game. I'd also wager the Flyers win the series without much issue.

The bias is showing with the London fans, I get that they're confident, I get that Tugwell has been on a tear...But at the end of the day...London cant keep up with Leamington, you can take that to the bank.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Too funny, how dare Quick run the goalie over...But the goalie can kick the net off all game. lol Quick is aggressive, he knows how to play.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:http://westernfairsportscentre.com/ice-surfaces/

http://www.leamington.ca/en/ourcommunit ... dunico.asp

just in case you don't think there the same size Qwerty
Shh, you're bringing logic to the conversation. :P
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

People, people, people, don't forget Chatham went into the playoffs with a rookie coach...With Davis still there, anyone really think they still lose to London...
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Thanks for setting me straight on rink size, RG and flyers2011... I appreciate standing corrected on my facts and should have known better that both are identically O-sized. Clearly I was optically deluded... which I know Port feels I may also be on several matters of perception and opinion. That's okay; that's what makes forums fun and interesting to read.

I agree with you, Port, that Leamington is highly likely to outshoot London in this series. In fact, it would be amazing and rather embarrassing if they didn't given that they are reigning division champs and first-place league finishers, while London finished only two spots above the lowly Lincolns.

Here's a little project for you, Port, especially since you can't seem to come to grips with the fact that Chatham is done now: go back and count up how badly the Maroons outshot London, and then contemplate how much that mattered in the end. To keep it logical, you should then also imagine how awesome Chatham would have been not only with Davis on the bench, but also with Morgan not on the sidelines, and with referees who called more penalties against London, and nets that never move, and Bessette in goal for the whole series, and meddling team owners interfering with the coaching staff... and how about pixies sprinkling ferry dust over Memorial Arena. If only, if only, if only all these things were true, then Chatham would not be polishing their golf clubs.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Qwerty, congrats on a great reply. LMAO :lol:
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Qwerty wrote:Thanks for setting me straight on rink size, RG and flyers2011... I appreciate standing corrected on my facts and should have known better that both are identically O-sized. Clearly I was optically deluded... which I know Port feels I may also be on several matters of perception and opinion. That's okay; that's what makes forums fun and interesting to read.
I totally get how you would think that the Heinz arena is bigger than the Western Fair because it's due to the lay out of the arenas. In the Heinz, you're higher up due to the bowl shape and it looks enormous, as you said, whereas with Western Fair, you're closer to ice level, so it looks smaller.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Qwerty wrote:Thanks for setting me straight on rink size, RG and flyers2011... I appreciate standing corrected on my facts and should have known better that both are identically O-sized. Clearly I was optically deluded... which I know Port feels I may also be on several matters of perception and opinion. That's okay; that's what makes forums fun and interesting to read.

I agree with you, Port, that Leamington is highly likely to outshoot London in this series. In fact, it would be amazing and rather embarrassing if they didn't given that they are reigning division champs and first-place league finishers, while London finished only two spots above the lowly Lincolns.

Here's a little project for you, Port, especially since you can't seem to come to grips with the fact that Chatham is done now: go back and count up how badly the Maroons outshot London, and then contemplate how much that mattered in the end. To keep it logical, you should then also imagine how awesome Chatham would have been not only with Davis on the bench, but also with Morgan not on the sidelines, and with referees who called more penalties against London, and nets that never move, and Bessette in goal for the whole series, and meddling team owners interfering with the coaching staff... and how about pixies sprinkling ferry dust over Memorial Arena. If only, if only, if only all these things were true, then Chatham would not be polishing their golf clubs.
lol Name another team, another group of players that have dealt with the drama that Chatham has the past two years.

First the sanctions, then the protested game yet again this season...then Davis is forced to leave. I don't know...that's a lot of distractions in two years. Not really a excuse as it's ownership's fault these things happened.

But after the way Bo played down the stretch, it was a slap in the face to be the backup the first three games. A rookie coach with no coconuts. The owner said what to do and he did it.

I'm not even going to debate this series with you. First you say the ice rinks aren't the same and how London will play a lot better on their home ice...Then you admit you were wrong, doing so completely eliminated your home ice theory.

So, do you expect London to give to the Flyers, or is it the other way around? You seem confused.

Btw: I see you like to point things out as well. Bringing up no Worrad, ext.

Maybe if Tugwell kicked the net more often...Maybe if Worrad was playing, maybe London would win the series. :lol:

See what I did there...Pot, meet kettle. :lol:
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Oh, Porty, you are clever. London winning the series. And I predict they will play better on home ice, where they beat the Flyers last time they met. Guess we'll both find out tomorrow. But despite all the drama in Chatham that continues to torment you, tomorrow, it will still be the case that London beat Chatham 4-2.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I'm over Chatham losing, you told me to get over it...now maybe you can do the same...

I expect this to be a great series, I expect Tugwell's play to make it one. But if the other Flyers goalie gets hot, giving up 2 goals will be a sure loss.

He's a great goalie, the offense he has in front of him is what gives him a huge edge in my opinion. That depth will stop London in their tracks. Tug's is only human.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Let the best team win, but Qwerty, I'm a big fan of your well thought out intelligent posts. Keep it up!
fanofgame

Post by fanofgame »

oh Port I see things have not changed in the time I have spent away from this board. "Tug's is only human" wouldn't it stand to reason that every player on the ice is only human? including Flyers goalies??
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

fanofgame wrote:oh Port I see things have not changed in the time I have spent away from this board. "Tug's is only human" wouldn't it stand to reason that every player on the ice is only human? including Flyers goalies??
Leamington isn't a huge underdog...Thought it was obvious.