Round 2, playoff predictions

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Round 2, playoff predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

1.Caledonia vs 4. Ancaster:

Caledonia looked lethal in the first round. Even though they were playing a brutal Pelham team, most thought 10 goals might be possible in a couple of games. But nope, they scored 18 & 12 goals in games 3 & 4.

Their fourth line can out play anyone's first line. They have kids that are capable of a point a game on their fourth line. They dominated round one without top scorer Connor Bramwell & shutdown D Todd Ratchford. Caledonia also has the two best goalies in the league.

Ancaster has a solid offense, they picked up a power D at the deadline and have a well rounded team. Goalie Blake Richards is very good. Just as good as Janzen & Entmaa. But Caledonia will dominate this series, not even debatable.

Prediction: Caledonia in 4

2.St.Catharines vs 3. Welland:

I have thought long and hard about this one. Falcons have a team loaded with 20 year olds. They have four lethal forwards.(Morrisson, Manns, Doucette & Ackerman) Jackson can be a game changer when he wants to be. That isn't often...That is the teams biggest issue. Lack of effort. If they play all out and are healthy...Look out. But that's a huge if.

Kelly is a great offensive D but turns the puck over all the time. Welland will need to be ready for this. Two goalies that are hot and cold...But the new kid has looked great most nights.

Welland has a full team effort. They have three great D'men, Ruggi can be a game changer...either by taking dumb penalties, or by playing smart like the vet he is.

The forwards are scoring by committee. Stortz has been on fire, Melna's playing good hockey lately too. Chris Janzen has had his confidence rattled a bit. But with Johnson possibly on the shelf for the season, his confidence must be high right now.

Prediction St.Catharines in 6
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
LeafsFan1984

Re: Round 2, playoff predictions

Post by LeafsFan1984 »

Caledonia vs. Ancaster

Caledonia in 5

St.Catherines vs. Welland

St. Catherines in 6
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia vs Ancaster
Caledonia in 6

St Catharines vs Welland
Welland - 6
Fanofthegame

Post by Fanofthegame »

Caledonia vs Ancaster

Caledonia - 5

St Catharines vs Welland

St Catharines - 6
Volvoman

Post by Volvoman »

Round 2.
Caledonai vs Ancaster

Richards will steal a few games but that's as far as it goes.
Caledonia in 6.

St.Catharines vs Welland.
Tough, tough series. St.Catharines fire power is very good. But Welland's good D and style of hockey should prevail.
Welland in 6.
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

caledonia in 5 welland in 7
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Im going with Welland in 7 ! Gonna be a great series I think. St. Cath has the power forwards, Welland has solid D. If Janzen stands on his head (which I think he will), All games will be close. Thinking theres gonna be a few OT games. (As long as the ref's decide to show up and call a good game). 2 teams ref, two teams !!!!
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Caledonia in 4, St. Catherines in 6
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Caledonia vs. Ancaster--------------Caledonia in 6

St.Catharines vs. Welland----------St.Catharines in 6
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

This is from the St. Catharines Standard.

Junior B playoff roundup
By Bill Potrecz, The Standard

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015 ... ff-roundup

There shouldn’t be many surprises when the St. Catharines Falcons square off versus the Welland Junior Canadians in their best-of-seven Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League, Golden Horseshoe Conference semifinal playoff series.

The teams have met in the playoffs the last two seasons with the Falcons prevailing on both occasions. St. Catharines swept Welland in the semifinals last season following a memorable seven-game series the season before in the finals that saw the Falcons win Game 7 3-2.

“We know Welland well — this is the third series in three years against Keith (Osborne) — so I have a pretty good idea on what he likes to do and vice versa,” St. Catharines coach/general manager Frank Girhiny said. “It comes down to executing the game plan.”

Osborne echoed Girhiny’s thoughts on that subject.

“As a coach, you can put in any systems you want but the kids have to make the plays and follow the system,” Osborne said. “It (familiarity) really doesn’t matter. After Game 1, I know I will be making adjustments as much as we know each other.”

A big part of St. Catharines’ game plan will involve the Falcons aggressively forechecking the Junior Canadians.

“The strong parts of their game are their goaltending and defence so we need to really work their D and pressure them and be physical. We need to go right at them,” Girhiny said. “We have to be patient and get to the net as much as we can because they have strong goaltending.”

The Junior Canadians live and die with their defence, but Girhiny isn’t completely discounting Welland’s ability up front.

“They are a well balanced team but we need to be extra aware when (Brayden) Stortz and (Jack) Fitzgerald are on the ice,” he said.

The Falcons are coming off a 4-1 quarter-final series win over the Thorold Blackhawks. Their only loss was a 5-4 overtime defeat in Game 4.

“I liked our game. I thought we had a really good series against Thorold and I liked the way we played as the year finished up,” Girhiny said. “We like where our goaltending is and our back end.”

Still, Girhiny feels his squad has more to offer.

“As we go on, there’s no doubt our guys need to kick it into another gear,” said Girhiny, who has led the Falcons to at least the Sutherland Cup round-robin in his first three seasons in St. Catharines. “We saw that with guys like Tyler Morrison and Ryan Doucette. Our leaders have really kicked it into another gear.”

The Junior Canadians took the season series 5-2 and were separated by just one point. The Falcons finished second with 67 points followed by the Junior Canadians with 66 in third place.

“It’s a clean slate. They had the upper hand on us but all the scores were pretty close,” Girhiny said. “There’s a lot of parity and not a lot of separation between the teams.

“We’re very competitive against them as they are against us so that should make for a good series.”

Osborne, too, feels what happened in the regular season shouldn’t have much bearing come the post-season.

“It’s a new season,” he said. “We beat Fort Erie six out of seven and they played us very tough. You can’t go by what you did in the regular season because there’s new players here now.

“Every game could have went either way. The only thing it does is give us confidence that they have beaten the Falcons this year.”

The Falcons expect to have injured forwards Manny Manns, Devon Rymarchuk and Paolo DeSousa back in the lineup. Winger Nicholas Dozzi (mono) is still on the shelf indefinitely.

“We expect to have most of them back which is great. If we were getting into a series where we needed them they would have played against Thorold but we were able to give them some really good rest,” Girhiny said.

Osborne reports the Junior Canadians are 100% healthy and that he will see how things go in practice this week before naming a starting goaltender. Chris Janzen went 3-0 versus Fort Erie. Hunter Johnson was 1-1 but had the better goals-against average (2.74 to 3.26).

Game 1 goes Friday in St. Catharines with Game 2 in Welland Sunday.

Potrecz picks: Welland can be tough to play against but will need to be almost perfect to shut down the Falcons for a whole series. St. Catharines in six.

CALEDONIA VS. ANCASTER

The defending Sutherland Cup champion Corvairs host the Avalanche Friday to begin their best-of-seven set. Game 2 is in Ancaster Saturday.

The Corvairs, who featured the best record in the GOJHL at 44-3-2, dominated the Pelham in a four-game sweep to advance, outscoring the Panthers 43-2.

Caledonia coach Mike Bullard made no apologies for the way the Pelham series played out.

“We knew we had to go through Pelham and we knew we were going to take some embarrassment because of some of the scores, but with the rules you have to kind of run the score up and you don’t want to,” he said.

Bullard reminded his charges to play the game properly, regardless of the opponent or the score.

“What you do in this series, if you want to play bad habits it’s going to affect you in the next series,” Bullard said. “We played four lines and six D. Everybody played. We had to play that series like they were a top team. You can’t take your foot off the gas pedal anywhere from here on in.”

Bullard isn’t the least bit surprised the Corvairs are facing the Avs.

“I called this from Day 1. I had planned all along we were going to play Ancaster,” he said.

The Corvairs swept the season series 7-0 but Bullard isn’t taking the Avs lightly.

“Ancaster is a very intriguing hockey team,” he said. “They were very good in the second half and they made some big pickups and he’s (league most valuable player Blake Richard) not a bad goalie.

“He’s the kind of goalie who can steal games. Our practices have been really hard. I’m trying to focus them on getting ready for the next level.”

Potrecz picks: Richard will make things tough but the Corvairs are too deep and too talented. Caledonia in 4.

SEMIFINAL SERIES

St. Catharines vs. Welland

Game 1: Friday, March 13 at St. Catharines, 7:30 p.m.

Game 2: Sunday, March 15 at Welland, 7:10 p.m.

Game 3: Tuesday, March 17 at Falcons, 7:30 p.m.

Game 4: Thursday, March 19 at Welland, 7:30 p.m.

*Game 5: Friday, March 20 at Falcons, 7:30 p.m.

*Game 6: Sunday, March 22 at Welland, 7:10 p.m.

*Game 7: Monday, March 23 at St. Catharines, 7:30 p.m.

Caledonia vs. Ancaster

Game 1: Friday, March 13 at Caledonia, 7:30 p.m.

Game 2: Saturday, March 14 at Ancaster, 7:30 p.m.

Game 3: Sunday, March 15 at Caledonia, 7:30 p.m.

Game 4: Tuesday, March 17 at Ancaster, 7:30 p.m.

*Game 5: Thursday, March 19 at Caledonia, 8 p.m.

*Game 6: Saturday, March 21 at Ancaster, 7:30 p.m.

*Game 7: Sunday, March 22 at Caledonia, 7:30 p.m.

*if necessary
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Bill knows, Caledonia in 4...Smart pick.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

If Blake Richard is going to steal some games against Caledonia he's got to be better than he was against Niagara Falls.
GA - 15 GAA -3.56 SV% - .884