Maroons one loss away from elimination

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Maroons one loss away from elimination

Post by Port hockey1 »

Chatham loses 4-1 tonight. Why Jake Patterson started again is a mystery. Not saying he played that badly, but Bessette had clearly earned the #1 with his play down the stretch.

This team needs the owner to step aside and let the coach run the team. It's no secret that the coach has been told who to start in goal. He's a puppet on the owners hand and it's getting beyond frustrating. The team has a great history. The past two seasons have been filled with drama including the currant goaltending situation.

It's time that the owner starts doing what's best for the team. If he wants control, get behind the bench and try your luck.

I know the owners are generally good people. But stepping on the coaches toes isn't good for anybody.

Full marks to London for being ready to play a great series. Good to see your coach is allowed to start the goalie he knows should be out there. :smt092
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
flyers2011

Re: Maroons one loss away from elimination

Post by flyers2011 »

Main problem in Chatham is ownership, he will look like a fool if they get swept out of the first round.
End of a era in Leamington
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Here are three other problems: London has better coaching, goal-tending and heart.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Chatham Daily News is reporting Bessette has finally received the nod to start in Game 4. Good for him and for his teammates, and good luck to both teams. Has the makings of another great game. Whatever the outcome, hopefully it will be largely free of controversy and whining about poor officiating, coaching, management etc., etc. Let the boys settle on the ice whether any more games will be needed to resolve the series. I also hope that if the Nats manage to produce a commanding lead before the dying minutes of the game that the Maroons show some class and not turn it into a goon show.
shady

Post by shady »

London has dictated the play in all 3 games , now it is time for Chatham to come and play as a team and play the way you can play that got you to 2nd place in the league .Leave it all out on the ice , I could be wrong but I don't recall the Maroons acting like goons and I believe they have shown a lot of class in this series . So I believe they will show class if losing in dying minutes . I have faith they can win tonight but that doesn't matter , it is them that have to have faith in themselves and play as a team . Go Maroons Go
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

So far, so good, shady... I would agree they have shown a lot of class, especially given the level of frustration they must be feeling. Apart from the one fight and Ford spearing incident late in game 3, it's been what I would describe as a gritty series, but not (too) dirty. Just hope it stays that way.
BLACKHAWKDOWN

Post by BLACKHAWKDOWN »

Or as Peter Griffin would say, "I hope they display the same kind of good sportsmanship that Lambton Shores usually displays."

:wink:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Chatham playoff games have been some of the tamest in the league.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Blades

Post by Blades »

I see that Chatham is having Bessette start in goal tonight (game 4). Glad to see he's being given the chance to try and right a ship that's listing.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Tugwell has kicked the net off 16 times now. People have been counting. Bessette in goal, winning four straight will feel great(if it happens) after all the London showboating.

Tugwell = scared, lol.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Huge win tonight...By the end of the second period the London goalie had kicked the net off 17 times in the series...Unreal. Why doesn't it come off in the Chatham zone?

With more solid efforts like tonight things will be looking up.

Go Maroons!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Hopefully the owner has seen the light and will continue to put Bessette in net.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

:lol: Gutsy win by Chatham and the bounces went their way. They capitalized on two glaring defensive lapses by the Nationals. Notwithstanding those 2 fatal mistakes, London was the better team tonight. Bessette played well enough but in the end let four by him and proved to be only marginally better than Patterson. He must have pinched a loaf in his drawers when the Nats stormed back with three quick ones in the third. Friday's another chance to succeed for the Nats, and another chance to fail for the Maroons. Keep whining about the posts, boys, keep whining... :lol:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Series isn't over, hopefully the refs start making the delay of game call.
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

Qwerty wrote::lol: Gutsy win by Chatham and the bounces went their way. They capitalized on two glaring defensive lapses by the Nationals. Notwithstanding those 2 fatal mistakes, London was the better team tonight. Bessette played well enough but in the end let four by him and proved to be only marginally better than Patterson. He must have pinched a loaf in his drawers when the Nats stormed back with three quick ones in the third. Friday's another chance to succeed for the Nats, and another chance to fail for the Maroons. Keep whining about the posts, boys, keep whining... :lol:
And if the shoe was on the other foot and the Chatham net was knocked off 17 times in 4 games during high scoring chances, are you saying that there wouldn't be some questions, comments, complaints from whatever team they were playing and from the fans too?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

hockeyfan77 wrote:
Qwerty wrote::lol: Gutsy win by Chatham and the bounces went their way. They capitalized on two glaring defensive lapses by the Nationals. Notwithstanding those 2 fatal mistakes, London was the better team tonight. Bessette played well enough but in the end let four by him and proved to be only marginally better than Patterson. He must have pinched a loaf in his drawers when the Nats stormed back with three quick ones in the third. Friday's another chance to succeed for the Nats, and another chance to fail for the Maroons. Keep whining about the posts, boys, keep whining... :lol:
And if the shoe was on the other foot and the Chatham net was knocked off 17 times in 4 games during high scoring chances, are you saying that there wouldn't be some questions, comments, complaints from whatever team they were playing and from the fans too?
Of course there would be. But after a couple of years on this forum, I've learned that there's a lot of hypocrites out there. I can't even be bothered to respond to some of the rubbish anymore. :)
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

This whole kicking the net off thing is becoming tired, give it a rest. Someone is really counting the number of times London has kicked it off???

I'm not saying Chatham will lose in the end but it sounds to me like someone is getting their excuses ready...

Just sayin"
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

I heard about it on Chatham radio last night. It was the Maroons' goalie coach who gave them the numbers.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Maybe the Chatham goalie coach should be teaching their goalies the fine art of stopping the play...
hockeyfan77

Post by hockeyfan77 »

GoWest wrote:Maybe the Chatham goalie coach should be teaching their goalies the fine art of stopping the play...
Was going to reply smartly, but decided it isn't worth it.
What I can't fathom is how much hate there is towards Chatham. Is it directed towards the players on the ice or is it something else?
Blades

Post by Blades »

I can't speak for others, but having Mark Davis there left a bad taste in my mouth. Can't say that I hate the Maroons as an organization. They tend to be successful often, but the past few years and the "drama" the club has had to deal with may skew the perception of some here. I wouldn't say I love the Maroons but then there aren't any other teams in our conference that I would say I love.

I may be going out on a limb here, but sometimes it's the attitude that comes across from some posters that may have soured how others feel about the team/club. I had a real strong dislike going on for the Rockets for a while because a couple fans/posters got into some very personal attacks. It was quite "spirited" here for a while until those posters kind of went away and all (except for one that I know of) never came back.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

It's sad that it needs to be counted. You can count on a finger-less hand how many times the Chatham net has been kicked off.

If L.S. had done the same, if St.Thomas had done the same, it would still be a issue. It makes the league look bushleague.

Just my opinion here...17 times in 4 games...No called penalty on any of them. I guess that's part of the game to some, but it isn't to me.
slap-shot

Post by slap-shot »

17 times or not there seems to be 8 different ref's in the first 4 games that would disagree with all of you bitching and whining about the net coming off..... Only a few years ago it was London goalies that always had the net off, if this is a major issue maybe they should change the way they peg the net to the same way they do in the OHL
You wonder why people have a dislike for Chatham, this is just one of those reasons, how many posts over this net issue, it's fine to vent once maybe twice then drop it, it is not the reason the Chatham lost the game, they were out played. Chatham fans get upset when everyone was posting about how much money the team has spent to buy a cup …. Same thing just different subject

it's like trying to reason with a cop when you get caught speeding, you feel better but nothing changes. Just sayin!!
Drop the puck, the playoffs are here
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

In an effort to change the channel away from certain fans' incessant whining about the net going off its pegs (get over it, already... it's NOT the reason why Chatham is down 3 games to 1) what I saw happening in game 4 was the Maroons starting to juggle their lines and using their size to drive the net and get some "dirty" goals. It worked. If I had the significant age/weight/intimidation advantage Chatham has over the Nat's younger/lighter defence core, I would do the same thing. But, if Tugwell continues to stand on his head -- you can say what you want, but he HAS been the best goaltender in this series -- and if Chatham continues to fail in tightening up its back-end, the Nats are going to eliminate the "Mighty" Maroons. There is no "hate" on this forum toward Chatham. They have a great team, especially on paper. When you look at the massive age and size differential of their roster compared to the Nats, Chatham SHOULD be dominating London. But they are not. What there IS on this forum is an insufficient degree of recognition for how well London is playing. 17 goals for in four games, which equals Chathams average goal output during the regular season. More importantly, London has held Chatham to 12 goals against in four games. Considering that the Maroons were the GO's top goal-scoring team during regular season (that is 7 more than Caledonia), it's evident that London is punching well above its weight on the back-end. Whether it takes 5, 6 or 7 games, my money's on London.