Welland's bad decision

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Welland's bad decision

Post by Port hockey1 »

Welland made a bad move by picking up Hunter Johnson. Their management feels they need a veteran for the playoffs.

I remember Thorold going all the way years back behind 15 year old goalie David Shantz. With Janzen, Welland is in a similar situation. He's been their MVP all season and this move doesn't exactly send a vote of confidence. Sarnia is a serious contender, they got rid of Johnson for a reason. They felt they needed to bring in a better goalie.

Welland fans should be voicing their concerns loudly. They've hurt their starters confidence and slowed the development of the great young goalie that was backing him up.

Johnson will be their worst enemy if he is played in the post-season. Get rid of him and go with the kids that got you here!!!!
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
zantimisfit

Re: Welland's bad decision

Post by zantimisfit »

Welland is sinking like an anchor thrown overboard into the canal just as we are about to head into the playoffs......lol. I see the great 'ol Hunter Johnson was in net for the loss in Ancaster tonight. Welland has gone from an early season contender to their usual place as a pretender!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

How have the Falcons looked lately?(haven't seen them in a while) Welland will be ready for the playoffs.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

The Falcons have slowly improved all season long and will end up exactly where they belong this year......in second place.The top four 'Shoe teams in order despite any final standings:1.) Caledonia 2.)St. Catharines 3.) Ancaster 4.) Welland.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

If i was a St Kitts fan that's the last thing i would want is Ancaster to finish 3rd.
Let Ancaster go through Niagara Falls and Caledonia.
And than St Kitts and Welland can fight it out.
goalie34

Post by goalie34 »

Port hockey1 wrote:How have the Falcons looked lately?(haven't seen them in a while) Welland will be ready for the playoffs.

ArcPro HD hasn't covered a Falcons game in a while I see. :smt024
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Caledonia Fan wrote:If i was a St Kitts fan that's the last thing i would want is Ancaster to finish 3rd.
I hope you can understand that I wouldn't "want" Ancaster to finish in third place, just that they are the third best team in the 'Shoe this year. I'd want to play Welland all day long instead of facing Ancaster in the playoffs. Welland will have their hands full in the first round if they have to face Fort Erie.
Bruin Fan

Post by Bruin Fan »

Port I think you should get off Hunter's case. Its not his fault that he got traded to Welland. He was brought in to be the number one goalie and he is only playing every third game. How is he supposed to get into a groove?

The real problem with Welland is Osborne - he has lost the room- all he does is yell and berate the players.

The kids are afraid to make a mistake. He changes lines like his underwear and they can't build any chemistry.

The best thing that could happen is he is let go even at this late date.

Port I know you look up to him but go ask the players how they feel about him you might change your mind.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

zantimisfit wrote:The Falcons have slowly improved all season long and will end up exactly where they belong this year......in second place.The top four 'Shoe teams in order despite any final standings:1.) Caledonia 2.)St. Catharines 3.) Ancaster 4.) Welland.
Can't really disagree. Ancaster has improved a lot. I'm hearing mixed reviews on St.Catharines...But I figured you'd know better than anyone. Tyler Morrison has been on fire, what a hockey player. Looked good earlier this season and i'm hearing that he's been like a different player the past six weeks.

Welland really needed a scorer. Not finding one might be the difference. Kids are also straying away from the defensive style that got them where they are. I can only hope Osborne will have them ready...If not, Caledonia, St.Kitts & Ancaster should make for some great playoff hockey anyways.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

goalie34 wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:How have the Falcons looked lately?(haven't seen them in a while) Welland will be ready for the playoffs.

ArcPro HD hasn't covered a Falcons game in a while I see. :smt024
Why you even here? All you do is troll and post negative comments. I go to games when I can, not your business though.

Seeing how you never contribute to this forum, I will be ignoring, possibly even blocking all further posts from you...must be a sad little man. lol
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Bruin Fan wrote:Port I think you should get off Hunter's case. Its not his fault that he got traded to Welland. He was brought in to be the number one goalie and he is only playing every third game. How is he supposed to get into a groove?

The real problem with Welland is Osborne - he has lost the room- all he does is yell and berate the players.

The kids are afraid to make a mistake. He changes lines like his underwear and they can't build any chemistry.

The best thing that could happen is he is let go even at this late date.

Port I know you look up to him but go ask the players how they feel about him you might change your mind.
Hunter has had two years to find a "grove". Couldn't find it in Niagara Falls or Sarnia...That is the reason he was traded to Welland btw...Because Sarnia wasn't confident in him.

He was not brought in to be the number 1 either. Get your facts straight please. He was brought in because management was concerned about Janzen's lack of playing time in the playoffs.

How is a goalie that a contender(Sarnia) felt couldn't get things done going to help? Janzen got Welland where they are. A strong focus on defense helped. They overachieved at the start of the season thanks to Osborne.

He's a great coach, getting Welland where they are this season wasn't easy. They don't have any stars up front but Osborne got maximum effort. Just like his Port days, brought the Pirates back from a 3-0 series hole to Welland, won 4 straight to advance.

You should be thankful that they have a good coach...Or they'd probably be looking up at Niagara Falls at this point! I gave my reasoning for both not being confident in Hunter & for being confident in Osborne.

If you're going to reply, please explain what makes Osborne a bad coach in your opinion. Please explain why anyone should be confident in a goalie that's on his fourth team.

Thank you.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

IMO Changing lines is looking for chemistry that just cant be found. He cant let just one line play well. He needs Melna, Stortz, Cuglietta, Flack, Fitzgerald & Reid among others to be better.

When they buy in...The 18-5 start showed what is possible. When they don't listen...Well it isn't going to be pretty.

Every coach yells, it's frustration. The kids are old enough to know how to make it stop.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Port hockey1 wrote:Every coach yells, it's frustration. The kids are old enough to know how to make it stop.
And they're also old enough to tune it out and stop listening.

Once you've lost the dressing room, you're screwed.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:Every coach yells, it's frustration. The kids are old enough to know how to make it stop.
And they're also old enough to tune it out and stop listening.

Once you've lost the dressing room, you're screwed.
That is also very true. From what I hear though, they still believe in him. He's also a great motivator. But I have to admit, I'm feeling a little uneasy at this point. Really hoping the boys focus and listen in the playoffs. He's a good coach.
Hockey Mom

Post by Hockey Mom »

I have always respected Osborne as a coach, but really have to question his motive for bringing in Johnson. He claims it is because of Janzen's lack of experience post season. How is he supposed to get play-off experience if he isn't played? If and when he does play, how much pressure will be on him to perform? Where is the loyalty to the goalie who played all season and got them third place? Seems like he is being set up for failure.
Volvoman

Post by Volvoman »

Wow, I didn't see all this discussion happening here. Some very good points being made. But I'll add a bit more now that the playoffs have started. Welland does look like they are attempting to 'step it up' for the playoffs. If wasn't for great goaltending on FE's side, score would have been very lopsided. In saying that, being a former goalie, IMO Welland has screwed up the goaltending BIG time! You bring in a goalie near the end of the season, give the new goalie the start in the playoffs, and most possibly destroy Janzen's confidence. There is NO way Johnston will steal and win games against the better teams. If they get past FE, which they should, they'll be playing against St.Kitts. No way will Johnston stop that team. And then, if you have to turn to Janzen, you've screwed yourself! You destroyed his confidence, taken him out of his groove and NOW you will expect him to perform? What a joke!! Great hockey, great playoffs always start from the goal-line out and Osborne or the manager has screwed this big time!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Hockey Mom wrote:I have always respected Osborne as a coach, but really have to question his motive for bringing in Johnson. He claims it is because of Janzen's lack of experience post season. How is he supposed to get play-off experience if he isn't played? If and when he does play, how much pressure will be on him to perform? Where is the loyalty to the goalie who played all season and got them third place? Seems like he is being set up for failure.
Agree 100%. Janzen has been their rock all season. When the forwards couldn't score many goals, he was always up to the task.

A confidence rattler for sure.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Volvoman wrote:Wow, I didn't see all this discussion happening here. Some very good points being made. But I'll add a bit more now that the playoffs have started. Welland does look like they are attempting to 'step it up' for the playoffs. If wasn't for great goaltending on FE's side, score would have been very lopsided. In saying that, being a former goalie, IMO Welland has screwed up the goaltending BIG time! You bring in a goalie near the end of the season, give the new goalie the start in the playoffs, and most possibly destroy Janzen's confidence. There is NO way Johnston will steal and win games against the better teams. If they get past FE, which they should, they'll be playing against St.Kitts. No way will Johnston stop that team. And then, if you have to turn to Janzen, you've screwed yourself! You destroyed his confidence, taken him out of his groove and NOW you will expect him to perform? What a joke!! Great hockey, great playoffs always start from the goal-line out and Osborne or the manager has screwed this big time!!!
Well said.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

The true test will come next season when Welland want to sign him and he tells them he's not interested in returning. From what I've been told, the move was made in desperation by upper management. Osborne was apparently satisfied with the goaltending they had. :?
Hockey Mom

Post by Hockey Mom »

If they had lost confidence in him, they should have traded him for a goal scorer when he was #1 in the league. They could have gotten a lot for him then. Now they are simply ruining him....who wants an 18 yr old without playoff experience?
Last edited by Hockey Mom on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Really good points. Somebody really dropped the ball in Welland on this one. :oops: :(