Shootouts

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Shootouts

Post by RocketGirl »

Should they do away with the shootout format? The Western and Midwestern Jr. C leagues have.

http://localsportsreport.com/gojhl/2015 ... -shootout/

As the article states, the shootout is purely a skills competition and in reality, you win as a team and loose as a team. I've never really been a fan of the shootouts either, but I'm not sure how I feel about 3-on-3 hockey. I think I'd have to see it in action before I form an actual opinion on this format. But imagine how it would actually affect the standings.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Re: Shootouts

Post by Port hockey1 »

I say keep it. Pro hockey uses it, so why take it away from junior hockey? I've never cared for them all that much either, but I think junior hockey should be trying to keep the rules as similar to pro hockey rules as possible. My reasoning is this a developmental stage in a hockey players career. We are supposed to prepare them for higher levels.

So I'd have to say taking the shootout away would be a step backwards.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Blades

Re: Shootouts

Post by Blades »

IIRC, the West was using shootouts as a means to complete a game before the NHL. Once the NHL adopted it, then I think the Jr A ranks followed suit.

Personally, I'd like to see us do away with the shootout. It really is a skills contest of one on one. Last I checked, hockey was a team game.

One thing I'd like to see the West try is using a scoring system whereby each game is always worth the same number of points. As it stands now, some games are worth 2 points (winner determined in regulation) while others are 3 point games (an OT or SO win). My suggestion would be: A win gets you 4 points and loser gets 0; an OT win gets 3 points with the loser getting 1 point; if still tied after 5 minutes of 4 on 4 play, each team receives 2 points. I think it might also give some teams more of an incentive to actually go for the win in OT knowing there is no shootout to try and get that one extra point. Get it done in OT or you split the points. This way you win/lose as a team and the skills competition can be put into the all star games.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic