Justin Tugwell

Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Justin Tugwell

Post by RocketGirl »

I hope Justin is ok and if anyone has an update, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last night in the game against Leamington, there was an incident in which Tugwell was injured rather severely. In the 2nd period, with the game tied 2-2, and London on the powerplay, the puck was sitting at the faceoff dot to Tugwell's left. Leamington’s Kyle Quick broke through the defence and was charging for the puck and Tugwell charged for it too, and the 2 collided. Quick was not injured on the play, but Tugwell laid there on the ice not moving, but I could see that he was breathing. When the trainers finally got him up, I’m pretty sure he had no idea where he was. I had heard that he was taken to the hospital with neck pain, which is understandable.

At that point, the game was very intense. The very next shift, Todosichuk ran Wheaton, but Wheaton fought back and stayed in the game. A couple minutes later was the fight between Madden and Quick. It was a good bout. Quick landed more quality shots, but when they knew it was over, they did the ‘good job’ shake, which automatically makes it a draw.

Anyways, as I said, I hope that Justin is ok, no one likes to see their goalie go down, and I wish him a speedy recovery.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
flyers2011

Re: Justin Tugwell

Post by flyers2011 »

hope he alrights, as you said he was right out of it. No penalty on the play, the 2 just hit bang on hard going for the puck.
End of a era in Leamington
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

You never want to see someone get hurt especially on such an innocent play.

I remember a similar play in Leamington a few years ago where Matheson was chasing after the puck and the goalie came out to beat him to it and dropped down sending Matheson head over heals... Matheson got a two minute penalty for charging on the play.

Hopefully Tugwell is feeling better this morning.
slap-shot

Post by slap-shot »

Last year Sean Parker from Sarnia came out of his net in LaSalle collided with a rushing forward and broke his neck, he is fine today but from what I heard it was very close to not walking or breathing on his own.
I saw the video of Tugwell's collision on CTV news last night, it was a big hit, Quick went flying through the air at the crash point, he is lucky to not be injured as well.
Drop the puck, the playoffs are here
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. Never want to see serious injuries.
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

If it was a race between the forward and the goalie, why run the Leamington goalie? Why the need for the fight?

Everyone is supposed to be shaken by what just happened to London's goalie, so London goes and tries to hurt the Leamington goalie!!! Unbelievable. Something wrong with somebodies thinking there.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Tugwell is fine, thankfully. No concussion and cleared to play is the report. Quick could have, and should have, avoided a full-on collision. Say what you want... Q is a good, skilled, rough and tumble player, but you can't ever justify running a goalie like that. He knows it. And he would be wise to listen for footsteps vs. London for the rest of the season. His tangle with Madden may not be the end of it.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Qwerty, thanks for the update and it's great news he's o.k.

I'm also glad you seem to agree that to say "the 2 collided" is bull. The player ran the goalie, plain and simple. How no penalty was called is beyond me.
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

GoWest wrote:Qwerty, thanks for the update and it's great news he's o.k.

I'm also glad you seem to agree that to say "the 2 collided" is bull. The player ran the goalie, plain and simple. How no penalty was called is beyond me.
I never understand this logic, the puck is in the face-off circle, Quick is going after and the goalie decides to make a last second decision to go try to beat the player going full steam to the puck and it is somehow the puck carriers responsibility? The goalie in that case has no business coming out to play the puck if he isn't going to clearly beat the player to the puck. What is a player supposed to do in that situation? Hit the deck and take the goalie out at his feet? I watched it multiple times on the news broadcast and from the angle they showed there was no way that collision could of been avoided, unless Quick went, oh I beat both their defence, let me just stop and watch the puck sit there.
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

http://london.ctvnews.ca/video?binId=1.1807099

Play can be seen at 24:17 of the Wednesday Newscast.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

The game video is now up on the London Nationals web site (2:40 mark). The goalie did not make a "last minute decision", he was going for the puck from the moment it was coming at him. The player made NO effort to avoid him.

Spin it however you want, the bottom line is that the goalie is the one lying on his back and ending up in the hospital...
rhinomark50

Post by rhinomark50 »

I don't even care what teams are involved, it's not a play where the goalie needs to be coming out of the net. I'm not trying to spin it any way. The video on the news clearly shows about a second or two between the time the puck gets past the defenders and the collision. If the website has a different angle, great, but that's not the angle on the newscast. I don't think it could of been avoid unless the attacking player gave up on the play, you obvious feel that goalies should be able to play the puck whenever they want and the emphasis is on the player to in a second or two make a decision on how to best avoid running into them.

It was what it was, I don't know what penalty would of been called on the play, but if you felt there should of been one, that's your opinion. I see a goalie trying to bail out his d-men in a situation where it put himself in a dangerous spot with someone already chasing after the puck. Just two differing views on the same play, and my view is regardless of what teams are involved, and I've always held the same views regarding goalies and when they should and shouldn't play the puck, and they're likely never going to change. I'd say the same thing if Wheaton or Barrett put themselves in the same situation.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Rather than argue all day on this point, here's some food for thought... NHL Rule #69 says:

"(When) the goalkeeper is out of the goal crease, and an attacking player makes other than incidental contact with the goalkeeper and no goal is scored on the play, a minor and/or major penalty (is called), plus assessment of whatever other penalties may be appropriate up to and including Supplementary Discipline." Read for yourself at http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The question is whether or not Quick's collision could be reasonably described as "incidental contact." Any reasonable person in the rink on Wednesday who watched the play, and any reasonable person who watches the video would be very hard pressed to call that "incidental" contact. Tugwell got hammered. You're not supposed to hammer goaltenders. So it seems evident this was a missed call. Quick should have got at least a minor, and given the severity of the collision and the aftermath (Tugwell had to be helped off the ice by two team staff members), it should have been a major.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

In looking at the videos, I see I was wrong. The puck wasn't sitting at the faceoff dot, Quick had it the entire time. Here's my question, why would Tugwell decide to try and poke check it? I understand he was probably thinking, if I get the puck away from him, he won't be able to take a shot, and possibly score a goal, but why not just say in your position and take the shot?

This isn't going to be very popular, but Tugwell put himself in that position. I'm not saying that Quick shouldn't have tried to avoid the hit, but he didn't have much time or room to do anything but.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

RG, if you really want an answer to your question, as a goalie (50+ years worth) and goalie coach, anytime you can prevent a shot from happening it's 1 less that you have to stop. I encourage all goalies to play the puck as much as they can.

Of course, that's just my opinion on how to play the position.
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

I know I'm beating this thing to death but I have 1 last comment and then will shut up.

In watching the video again, how could London's #6 & #8 stand there with their goalie flat on his back? At least #9 came in for a little bit of payback.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Well, I guess we can all agree to disagree on what we see, though I can't resist pointing out that Quick decidedly did not have control of the puck... both players were racing for a loose one. I will also agree with GoWest in wondering how two Nationals stood idly by while their goaltender was blacked out on the ice. Quick would have taken a proper beating for his malfeasance had Kotsovos been on the ice, instead of getting the chance to fold like a buck-fifty suitcase to draw the penalty against London when Robinson skated into him. That dive could qualify him to play in the British Premier soccer league. It should also be pointed out that Quick was lucky to have had the opportunity to drop his mitts against Madden before Kostovos got a chance to take a pound of flesh. Quick saw his chance to make his exit against a smaller player and took it. So while you can safely accuse him of running the goalie, you can't accuse of him of being stupid...
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The goalie left his net, the forward's job is to get to the puck and score. The goalies job is to stop the puck.

IMO, when the goalie leaves his net, he's not fair game, but he also doesn't get a credit card to not be touched. Again, the forward did his job by going for the puck. The goalie knew he was taking a chance leaving the net. The onus should be on any goalie leaving his net to avoid collision if going for a puck that is out in front of the net. The player is taught to go hard for the puck, the goalie is taught to stop the puck.

So who's at fault when these collisions occur? :!:
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GoWest wrote:RG, if you really want an answer to your question, as a goalie (50+ years worth) and goalie coach, anytime you can prevent a shot from happening it's 1 less that you have to stop. I encourage all goalies to play the puck as much as they can.

Of course, that's just my opinion on how to play the position.
You're encouraging goalies to risk serious injury. A lot of goalie coaches out there. A lot of different views as to where a goalie plays the puck amongst them.

If a goalie wants one less shot, be prepared for the same risks forwards & D'men face in a race for a puck...Contact. We all have our opinions, but many NHL goalie coaches would say what London's goalie did was take a huge risk.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Saw the video, Quick sees him at the last second. RG is correct. Quick has the puck the entire time, Tugwell races out for a poke-check and gets hit.

Not Quick's fault.