Hockey Talk

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

flyers2011

St Marys Transactions

Post by flyers2011 »

St. Marys 11/21/14 DEL Di Loreto, Rai (F) placed on team suspension
St. Marys 11/21/14 DEL Lewis, Frasier (D) placed on 14 day IR
St. Marys 11/21/14 DEL Ruddock, Callum (D) placed on team suspension

any idea why they were placed on team suspension ?
End of a era in Leamington
RecKing

Re: St Marys Transactions

Post by RecKing »

Most likely they are holding the players' cards and refusing to trade them.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RecKing wrote:Most likely they are holding the players' cards and refusing to trade them.
Classy. They don't want to be there, do what classy organizations do, trade or release them.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

Port, you've got With those players just sitting and waiting they aren't developing their skills. Best for the players and the organization to trade them, get someone or some money for them or release them and let the players move on.
Blades

Post by Blades »

I would venture to say that the Lincs are likely talking to other teams and want to make sure that any trades they make are good for all the teams involved. I'd think that any and all teams are willing to part with players, but it has to make sense for all and not just a fire sale because more players want off a team that is struggling to even dress a full lineup some nights. Just because "Jimmy" wants to play elsewhere doesn't mean the team has to jump at the first offer made -- if indeed any offers are made. Sometimes trades can be done quickly, but I've found when a player wants "out", movement takes longer. Why that seems to be, I'm not sure, you'd have to ask the GMs of teams.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Blades wrote:I would venture to say that the Lincs are likely talking to other teams and want to make sure that any trades they make are good for all the teams involved. I'd think that any and all teams are willing to part with players, but it has to make sense for all and not just a fire sale because more players want off a team that is struggling to even dress a full lineup some nights. Just because "Jimmy" wants to play elsewhere doesn't mean the team has to jump at the first offer made -- if indeed any offers are made. Sometimes trades can be done quickly, but I've found when a player wants "out", movement takes longer. Why that seems to be, I'm not sure, you'd have to ask the GMs of teams.
Fair enough, but that doesn't help a team that cant dress a full roster, not when 'Jimmy' wont report and is under suspension.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
sam

Post by sam »

A player has a better chance playing out till the trade dead line ,and tell his team managers he would like to be traded on friendly leave .Other teams would more consider that as well,but to just walk off and with hold ones work efforts looks bad. no doubt none of them will be back on a lincolns roster ever.as they have severely let down all their team members.
I don't know what the answer is to this problem but I think the league should be split up with the big teams going on to tier two and the smaller centers staying JB.
JMO
SAM
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

sam wrote:A player has a better chance playing out till the trade dead line ,and tell his team managers he would like to be traded on friendly leave .Other teams would more consider that as well,but to just walk off and with hold ones work efforts looks bad. no doubt none of them will be back on a lincolns roster ever.as they have severely let down all their team members.
I don't know what the answer is to this problem but I think the league should be split up with the big teams going on to tier two and the smaller centers staying JB.
JMO
SAM
Good point Sam, I was under the impression they had asked to be moved and told no. If that isn't what happened and they both just refused to show up out of nowhere...Well then I can see why the team would be a little upset. The best moves is for the team to take the high road though, trade them to Lambton Shores or St.Thomas, or release them. :)
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Two words: no money. Lincolns can't afford to attract or retain quality players, especially out of towners and veterans. Sad but true. Hometown boys Siddall and Blight took flight after last season for greener pastures. Now two London boys, both good kids and students at Western, tired of paying for the privilege to play for the worst team in the league. In life, you tend to get what you pay for. StM wouldn't be in this situation if they could pay. The team and town have a long, proud history in JB but until they figure out a way to pay for quality players, they will continue to be home for promising youngsters (e.g., Wierenga... will he be in StM next yr??) whose mommies and daddies are willing to do the driving and foot the bills to keep the dream alive. Also a great place for goaltenders who want to see a lot of rubber in a short period of time. Masters is certainly reaping the benefits of playing Lincs hockey... talented kid and possibly the smartest in the league because he's getting the best opportunity to improve. One of the few who may actually land an NCAA gig.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

You mean teams need to spend money to get good talent? Don't say that here, you'll be told that only Chatham spends money. :lol:
sam

Post by sam »

You are wrong about money .The guy behind the Lincoln franchise is a very wealthy business man .He is obviously keeping his losses. at a minimum . Have the rules providing players with money changed in this league ,maybe this should be investigated , I heard Norwich got warned a couple years ago for getting to loose with money .
sam
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

Interesting comment to read about being "wrong about money." That may be true, but thought StM is a community owned team. If there's a "very wealthy business man" behind the franchise, then he may have lots of money but clearly doesn't know how to spend it to build a competitive hockey team. Perhaps the Lincolns are a tax write-off (a la Charleston Chiefs in Slap Shot). Perhaps he should trade for some wanna-be Hanson Brothers to create a new brand for the team and put some fans in the seats.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

My understanding is the same, St. Marys is 1 of 2 community owned teams in our Conference. Now, perhaps they have someone in the background that was not able to purchase the team, but they put the money up if the team is short at the end of the season. We had someone try that with us for a while, only lasted a year or so.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
LincBrass

Post by LincBrass »

It's almost like some posters have only watched this league for 2 seasons?
Last season, and this season have been rough, but prior to that it wasn't all doom and gloom.
2012, the only year they didn't make the playoffs in a long time, they were loaded up with 20 year olds, and had a 7-1, or 8-1 start. They got hammered by injuries, lost their best dman to the Q, and ended up trading(selling) everyone off, so they could go try and win. Their captain, Consitt did, and was a big part in London's success.
Anyway, the 10-12 seasons prior to that, they were in the top 1-4, every year, except for a fifth once.
There were numerous Stratford and London players that wanted to play in St. Marys. I'm assuming Merlin had a lot to do with that. I can't recall how many, but Merlin has had multiple 30 win seasons, in the past decade.
go west
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Hate to be "that guy" but since when did the player dictate to the team? Seems to me these kids knew what they were getting into when they signed with St. Mary's, for better or worse. I for one applaud the team for letting them sit if that's what they chose. If the team can make a good deal for them at some point great, but if not, too bad so sad.
RecKing

Post by RecKing »

Merlin in his 7 years as Lincs' coach (2003/04-2009/10) had four seasons where the team had 30+ wins and another when he was one shy of hitting that mark. It will take time for the young players who stay with the Lincs to adjust to Merlin's systems and there is no doubt the organization is looking to rebound from the past few disappointing seasons. Several times in their history the Lincolns have dwelled in or near the basement yet every time they have overcome player problems and become a powerhouse.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

LincBrass wrote:It's almost like some posters have only watched this league for 2 seasons?
Last season, and this season have been rough, but prior to that it wasn't all doom and gloom.
2012, the only year they didn't make the playoffs in a long time, they were loaded up with 20 year olds, and had a 7-1, or 8-1 start. They got hammered by injuries, lost their best dman to the Q, and ended up trading(selling) everyone off, so they could go try and win. Their captain, Consitt did, and was a big part in London's success.
Anyway, the 10-12 seasons prior to that, they were in the top 1-4, every year, except for a fifth once.
There were numerous Stratford and London players that wanted to play in St. Marys. I'm assuming Merlin had a lot to do with that. I can't recall how many, but Merlin has had multiple 30 win seasons, in the past decade.
They actually had a 9-4-1 start in 2012.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Both players have been sent to London.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Port hockey1 wrote:Both players have been sent to London.
Not exactly a surprise.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
GoWest

Post by GoWest »

Guess I've still got a lot to learn about the league, although nothing really surprises me anymore.
I thought London would stick with their self proclaimed youth movement and try to build for the future.
Looks like the future is now.

Port, does London now make your list of Sutherland Cup contenders?
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

The new players will make London better, they may even win a couple of playoff rounds but still not Sutherland cup contenders.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
Qwerty

Post by Qwerty »

I agree with Oglethorp, but with Warren and Hughes added to the mix, the Nats are going to be a team to watch in the second half of the season. They gave first-place Leamington a run for their money first game out of the blocks after acquiring DiLoreto, Ruddock, Warren and Hughes (3-2 loss) and then dominated LaSalle 7-2. Once they get a chance to settle in, learn systems and get reacquainted with old teammates (half the players on this team know one another from their LJK days and all made multiple trips to provincial championships in minor hockey) they are going to be serious West conference contenders. Once you get to the dance, anything can happen. And with only two 20-yr-olds on the team (Tugwell, G, and Wooley,D) they have the makings of a 2015-16 powerhouse club, depending on whether or not youngsters like Murray, Kreis, Warren and Worrad make the jump up to the O.