A Despicable Act

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

A Despicable Act

Post by RocketGirl »

Honestly, who thinks of something like that? And what possesses a person in 2011 to do something like that in the first place?

Banana thrown at Flyers' Simmonds in pre-season game

Philadelphia Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds says he has experienced racism throughout his life and hopes what happened during a shootout loss against the Detroit Red Wings Thursday night in London, Ont., wasn't another example of it.

The rangy forward, who scored in the last minute of regulation play to send the exhibition game into overtime and ultimately a shootout, took the first shot of the tie-breaker and admitted a bit of shock when a banana came flying into his path as he zeroed in on Detroit netminder Jordan Pearce.

"I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact I'm black," the Toronto native said. "I certainly hope not. When you're black, you kind of expect [racist] things. You learn to deal with it."

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman released a statement Friday calling the incident "stupid and ignorant."

"We have millions of great fans who show tremendous respect for our players and for the game," Bettman said. "The obviously stupid and ignorant action by one individual is in no way representative of our fans or the people of London, Ont."

Hockey Night in Canada commentator and former NHL goalie Kevin Weekes, who is black, also responded via a series of posts on his Twitter account.

"I'm extremely disappointed with what happened to Wayne Simmonds tonight in London Ont," Weekes wrote. "We've taken HUGE steps to grow the game of hockey, as I speak Willie O'Ree and I are in D.C attending the Black Congressional Caucus on behalf of the NHL & ironically this takes place.

"There's NO place for this in sports since sport connects us not divides us. Much love to all the true & Classy NHL Fans."

Maple Leafs head coach Ron Wilson deemed it "despicable" after Friday's practice.

"I don't ever remember seeing anything like that [when I played], but society's a lot different today, we're a lot more open-minded about other races, creeds or what have you, so the fact of the matter is, it's just not right," Wilson said.

Simmonds is among seven newcomers on the Flyers, brought in to replace a total of nine players who have departed through trades or free agency. He brings a toughness and durability after playing in 89 straight games for the Los Angeles Kings, where he was third in penalty minutes.

As for his scoring in this one, he'll take them however they come. His shot from the corner went in off Pearce.

"I just fired it hoping a teammate could deflect it; it went in off the goalie's inside pad. But I'll take it. As they say, it's not how, it's how many."

The banana rattled him, he said, and his only thought was to get off a shot.

"It shocked me and knew I had to keep going and get a shot off. It was certainly unusual."

The Red Wings emerged 4-3 winners after dominating play for most of three periods. Darren Helm caught the Flyers flat-footed while killing off a penalty when he stripped Graydon Coburn of the puck at centre ice and zipped in to roof the puck over Mike Leighton's shoulder mid-way through the first period.

Valtteri Filppula gave the Wings a two-goal spread in the second until James van Reinsdyk snapped a rebound past Detroit starter Ty Conklin. Ian White pumped in a power-play screened shot early in the third period and the Wings appeared to be on their way.

But their defensive zone control they exhibited until then seemed to evaporate in the late going and Matt Carle on a screened power play shot, then Simmonds' score, extended the game.

The regular pre-season "home" game the Flyers have played at the 9,090 capacity John Labatt Centre since it was built in 2002 became Detroit's "home" game for this one. The arena is operated by Global Spectrum, a subsidiary of Flyers' parent company Comcast-Spectacor.

A crowd of 7,427 fans loudly backed Detroit and were invited on the arena public address system to consider various ticket packages to Wings' games.

With files from CBCSports.ca
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.