World Juniors 2010-2011

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Blades

World Juniors 2010-2011

Post by Blades »

Yep, the winter classic that I always enjoy begins tomorrow afternoon - at least here in Ontario. I'll be glued to TSN a lot over the next few days, following the Canadians as they try to return the favour to the American team. They won it last year here on Canadian soil, would be sweet if team Canada could win gold on American soil this year.
Go Canada Go
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
RocketGirl

Re: World Juniors 2010-2011

Post by RocketGirl »

Whitey is getting to be quite the popular man. This is his 3rd article in the paper in the last week.

Summit Series history in attendance at final
By MIKE ZEISBERGER, QMI Agency

With passers-by gawking and pointing, there it was for all to see, being worn by a white-haired man standing in the concourse outside Section 119.

A genuine game-worn 1972 Team Canada Summit Series uniform top.

What was it doing here, you ask?

Simple. It was being adorned by a genuine 1972 Team Canada Summit Series player.

“It’s the real one,” said former Team Canada defenceman Pat (Whitey) Stapleton, who made the trip down to Buffalo from his Strathroy, Ont. home. “It’s the one I wore in the four games in Russia.

“It’s my way to support the Canadian kids.”

When friends of Stapleton told Pat they had tickets to the world juniors, he responded by buying them modern-day Team Canada jerseys.

“Why don’t you come with us to a game?” they asked.

“Not unless it’s Canada-Russia in the final,” Stapleton responded.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

“It’s always a special matchup,” Stapleton said. “It’s been that way since we played them when they still were the Soviet Union.”

Stapleton is best known for allegedly still possessing the puck that Paul Henderson scored the series-winning goal with more than 38 years ago.

Since he brought the jersey with him, did he bring the puck too?

“Damn. I forgot it,” he said, a wry smirk on his face.

Maybe he should have snuck it here, too. Given that the Russians would come back from a 3-0 deficit to win 5-3, the Canadians could have used all the luck they could get.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.