World Juniors 09-10 Edition

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Blades

World Juniors 09-10 Edition

Post by Blades »

Yep, it's that time of the year when hockey fans get to watch some of the best junior hockey teams from a multitude of countries.
I've been reading some of the comments on TSN after the game write-ups. Guess I'm "seeing" some trash talking and it's almost funny.

Think the game of Canada vs the U.S.A. on Thursday is going to be huge on a number of levels and am looking forward to seeing it.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Blades

Re: World Juniors 09-10 Edition

Post by Blades »

Is no one other than I watching these games? If so, that's a pity. The game between Canada and the US last evening was an interesting one to watch. The Americans pretty much dominated the game for the first 40 minutes, then on came the Canadian squad I'm accustomed to seeing play. Still not a fan of using the shoot out to determine a winner.
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

I agree the Canadians got outplayed and got lucky again. I hope it put a scare into them to show them they have to play 60 minutes of hockey to be the best.

As for the shootout I do not like it either. Hockey is a team sport and should be kept that way. Why should a team win because of a shootout. What your basically doing is making a team sport into an individual sport. SO much for the theory win as a team lose as a team in a shootout.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I was shocked to see it go to a SO as well. When it comes to the medal games though, they should just do straight OT, like we do in the play-offs.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

I hate shootout as well, but I've come to accept it. (I hate admitting it, but I don't mind the shootout for games that "don't matter") When I say don't matter, I mean non playoff games. Really, the New Year's Eve game, did not matter, if it really mattered, we wouldn't be seeing the US again in the finals. Ok, the US had a "harder road" to the finals then we did, but that's all. That's why I don't mind a shootout. I would hate to see a game that doesn't matter, end up going 3 or 4 extra periods to determine a winner, just get it over with. But, when games do matter, in playoffs/finals, then do NOT decide the win with a shootout.
The Masked Grappler

Post by The Masked Grappler »

I still hate shootouts, even in regular season games as I was saying in Chatham last night. I'd rather have ties than shootouts.
Administrator

Post by Administrator »

I've been following these games too Blades.
The Canada vs USA game was horrific. Canada certainly did not deserve to win that game and as Fivehole said, they got lucky. I was home alone during that game and my house was ringing with curse words as I armchair refereed and coached. LOL
Blades

Post by Blades »

During the Canada/US game, I actually had to leave the room for a while I was so underwhelmed by the play of the Canadian team.
They did look better during their game against the Swiss but now with one of their top "D" out ... it's going to be difficult. The US are a good and fast team. If Canada hopes to make it six, they'll need to be outstanding, have exceptional goaltending and most of all STAY OUT OF THE BOX.
It's going to be a great game on Tuesday night and I know I'll have my eyes glued to the TV ... at least for the most part.