It's the Olmypics!!!

A discussion area for things not hockey related.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Blades

It's the Olmypics!!!

Post by Blades »

Discussion about those days and events in Vancouver.
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Blades

Re: It's the Olmypics!!!

Post by Blades »

Canada finally gets gold on home soil in Moguls!!! Yipee!!! I jumped and yelled and yelled some more.
Anyone else see the gold medal run?
mrst

Post by mrst »

I watched the runs...my knees are sore just thinking about it. Not sure how those people do it, but it was an incredible run.

Womens hockey today. Canada vs Switzerland at 2:30 PST.
Gotta Love it when someone steals your tag. Some people just have no imagination of their own I guess
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

mrst wrote:I watched the runs...my knees are sore just thinking about it. Not sure how those people do it, but it was an incredible run.
Agreed! I saw a thing yesterday where they superimposed the Gold and Silver runs in the same video. Really interesting to see. The Canadian was a little ahead, and slightly cleaner. What an amazing run.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Medal #4 was almost gold. After leading for most of the race, our snowboarder was a bit slow going over a bump and got passed near the end by an American. Considering our silver medal winner was a dark horse to win anything at all, congrats to him and the other 3 Canadian men boards.
Women snowboarders go today. Hmmm ... something else of signifigance is happening too .... oh yeah :lol: , the Canadian men's hockey team plays!
Go Canada Go
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

Watching the men's Curling right now. Good match going on between Martin and the checkered pants of Norway.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I saw the checkered pants of Norway this afternoon. Who would wear those in public?!
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Well, we may not be "Owning the Podium" but the gold medal haul is looking pretty good.
What I don't understand is that the standings are now based on total medals won when it used to be based on total gold medals won and before that they used a point system where they gave points down to 5th (I think) place. If that were still used can you imagine how many points Canada would have given all our 4th place finishes.

Men's hockey are playing tonight. Win tonight or go home ... or stay in the village and watch other athletes.

On another note, this Olympics has seen it's share of bad things. It began with a sledder dying before the Olympics really began and now the mother of Canada's top woman figure skater dies at the age of 55 shortly after arriving in Vancouver.
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

don't forget the troubles the "Olympia" Ice machines had on the speed skating ice... Turns out Zamboni had to come in a rescue that portion.
Blades

Post by Blades »

HockeyFan1111 wrote:don't forget the troubles the "Olympia" Ice machines had on the speed skating ice... Turns out Zamboni had to come in a rescue that portion.
Yeah, I kind of forgot about that which is strange because on another board I frequent, the point was very clearly made that they weren't zambonis (which is what I usually call any machine that cleans the ice).
As many problems as there have been, I've never been prouder of what this country has accomplished so far and for the patriotism I've seen breaking out all over the place in Vancouver.

Team U.S.A. is playing men's hockey right now against the Swiss and it's the end of the 1st with no score although the Americans really outshot the Swiss. Plan to be following the Canadian game tonight while at another hockey game.
GO CANADA GO!!
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

It is great to see the performance of our Canadians! 4 medals yesterday, at least 1 tonight, we are actually tied for the lead in Gold Medals! Great to see the success of our team. Gold medal game in Women's hockey tonight, Semi's in Men's tomorrow, playoffs in Jr B on Saturday, Men's Finals on Sunday,.... Just gotta love this time of year!
Blades

Post by Blades »

HockeyFan1111 wrote:It is great to see the performance of our Canadians! 4 medals yesterday, at least 1 tonight, we are actually tied for the lead in Gold Medals! Great to see the success of our team. Gold medal game in Women's hockey tonight, Semi's in Men's tomorrow, playoffs in Jr B on Saturday, Men's Finals on Sunday,.... Just gotta love this time of year!
It's certainly a great time to be a sports nut!