Expansion

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

BeenThereDoneThat

Expansion

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Both the GOJHL and the OJHL have filed applications to locate a franchise in Collingwood.
Should be interesting to see who locates here and adds this location to their footprint.
There is also another group looking to expand the GOJHL footprint by adding another division.
It has also been said that the OHA is looking at expansion for the GOJHL by adding another division.
The future looks bright for the GO, if the leadership has the wisdom and knowledge to recognize
this opportunity and moves forward in a positive direction. A positive direction would be expansion.
RocketGirl

Re: Expansion

Post by RocketGirl »

I've heard that it's been discussed at league meetings about expanding to 4 Conferences or contracting to 2 Conferences, so we'll see what happens.
I've heard that not much actually gets accomplished at league meetings because there are quite a few GM's with their own agendas or they're just stubborn.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I know for a fact that a Eastern/Northern Conference can be a go and there are MULTIPLE locations interested. The issue is at the league level and not having the foresight to take a step to better the brand. A league is only as strong as the teams in it and vice versa. The truth was when the 'old" OHA tried to sell off Cambridge for $150k and there were no takers. They ultimately allowed a relocation from Guelph to Cambridge. That should tell you something about value. The only way this league/owners can achieve a $150k expansion fee is if the league, as a whole, is solid and has the initiative to make decisions. And you are right, there are owners with their own agendas. The problem with that is, their distorted vision causes irreparable harm to the league/brand as a whole! Value, ultimately is dictated by supply/demand factors. If the league is big and strong, then there will be more demand! Put the $$$$ away for now, put in a fourth conference, and you will see the value of the franchises and the league rise to new levels!
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

FrozenPonds wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm I know for a fact that a Eastern/Northern Conference can be a go and there are MULTIPLE locations interested.
That's the only way I'd support Collingwood getting a team, along with towns like Owen Sound etc... it's just way too out of the way compared to other teams
blanegretzky

Post by blanegretzky »

jfvoll wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:11 pm
FrozenPonds wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 pm I know for a fact that a Eastern/Northern Conference can be a go and there are MULTIPLE locations interested.
That's the only way I'd support Collingwood getting a team, along with towns like Owen Sound etc... it's just way too out of the way compared to other teams
So the 2 hour drive from Cambridge-Kitchener-Waterloo-Stratford ( little less for Listowel and Elmira) is too out of the way

but the 2 hour drive for St Marys-London- St Thomas-Komoka to Lasalle and Leamington is acceptable
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I have an answer for that one...I will shoot you a message.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

blanegretzky wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am but the 2 hour drive for St Marys-London- St Thomas-Komoka to Lasalle and Leamington is acceptable
There was complaints when Owen Sound was in the league because of distance, besides, how many teams can Collingwood go through?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

blanegretzky wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am
So the 2 hour drive from Cambridge-Kitchener-Waterloo-Stratford ( little less for Listowel and Elmira) is too out of the way

but the 2 hour drive for St Marys-London- St Thomas-Komoka to Lasalle and Leamington is acceptable
The Midwest and the Shoe aren't used to travel, for the majority, their longest trip is an hour. The West looks at 2 hours and says so?

I went to a game in Ancaster last year and someone overheard me talking about it only being an hour or so and said I must love hockey if I'm willing to drive an hour to watch it. It takes an hour for me to get to Sarnia and Chatham. In fact it takes me 45 minutes to drive home to Strathroy for our games.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Jrhockeytalk

Post by Jrhockeytalk »

So has anyone looked at the logo created for the GOJHL application regarding the team being created in Collingwood? You should and then look at the Branpton Admirals jr a team logo which the rights are owned by the owner. Wondering how that is allowed?
OutsideLookingIn

Post by OutsideLookingIn »

I do have a question... with Brantford hosting an OJHL and a GOJHL team. Has anything been brought up about moving the JrB team to the like of Woodstock?
JruGordon

Post by JruGordon »

OutsideLookingIn wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:10 pm I do have a question... with Brantford hosting an OJHL and a GOJHL team. Has anything been brought up about moving the JrB team to the like of Woodstock?
I have heard that discussed throughout the Jr C division that I'm in. But then what would you do with Woodstock's Jr C team?
JruGordon

Post by JruGordon »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 pm Both the GOJHL and the OJHL have filed applications to locate a franchise in Collingwood.
Should be interesting to see who locates here and adds this location to their footprint.
There is also another group looking to expand the GOJHL footprint by adding another division.
It has also been said that the OHA is looking at expansion for the GOJHL by adding another division.
The future looks bright for the GO, if the leadership has the wisdom and knowledge to recognize
this opportunity and moves forward in a positive direction. A positive direction would be expansion.
I found this from last month, makes it sound like the team will be in the GOJHL MidWest

EDIT - might help if I include the link

https://thepeakfm.com/news/4837952/juni ... llingwood/
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

The Midwest is the only division they can go into and even that is insane! I wish Collingwood the best of luck but they are due to fail as their operating budget just went through the roof!! All this could have been avoided quite honestly but, you have people who will only listen to their own ideas and suggestions!! Time to get rid of the dead wood in the league like the OHA was subjected to!! Its really too bad because this league has many, many positives on which to build! Unfortunately, there are some people within the league who have no clue or foresight to make decisions not just for now, but for the future. Let's start with a $150k price tag!