2nd Round Matchups

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Hockeylover321

2nd Round Matchups

Post by Hockeylover321 »

The 2nd round started on both fronts last night (the usual Friday nights in Listowel and Stratford).

Listowel, as expected, came out on top 3-0 against the Siskins so lead that series 1 - 0

Stratford, OTOH, got trounced by the Sugar Kings 6-1 !! So Elmira gets off to an early lead in that series.

Was anyone at either game who can comment? Looks like a typical Listowel win but what happened in Stratford? Sure wish I'd been there to see that!
ILuvHackey

Re: 2nd Round Matchups

Post by ILuvHackey »

Was in Listowel Friday night and then did a triple-header Sunday (Waterloo, Ayr, Elmira).

Fridayy was a solid "playoff game" -- Waterloo was real physical on Listowel and at times dominated them in the possession game in their zone cycling the puck with some of their bigger wingers, but just couldn't get to the inside to beat Wright. Whereas you know that Listowel only needs one or two chances to absolutely bury with their snipers. Game 2 was similar - Loo really dominated them at times in the cycle but were able to find ways to score. Listowel came on late and made it close (2 gals in last 2 minutes) with their skill. People around the rink both games said that these two teams had really good games all year -- something like 4 or 5 games went to OT.

In Elmira, that game was really tight. A lot of skill on display for both teams. My only concern if I'm Stratford about going deep is their tendy. People I talked to their said Badenhorst was brutal Friday night and just had one of those games to forget but it should have been tighter than it was score wise.

Overall, the Midwest final four are deserving strong hockey teams and I'm hoping they both go 6 or 7 and look like they might.
Last edited by ILuvHackey on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

Is Stratfords goalie's their weak spot?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Badenhorst was terrible last night, that's why he only lasted 5 minutes. I thought Vigilatore did a good job, guess he hadn't played since Feb 24. Elmira found ways to score, especially on the PP.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

RocketGirl wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 am Badenhorst was terrible last night, that's why he only lasted 5 minutes. I thought Vigilatore did a good job, guess he hadn't played since Feb 24. Elmira found ways to score, especially on the PP.
That was the word about Badenhorst from Game 1 too.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

RocketGirl wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 am Badenhorst was terrible last night, that's why he only lasted 5 minutes. I thought Vigilatore did a good job, guess he hadn't played since Feb 24. Elmira found ways to score, especially on the PP.

I agree. When you have skilled players like Skinner, Jordan, Wiseman, etc. when they're on their game they are deadly. Skinner and Jordan had particularly good games last night.......although it was looking like Jordan might be gone after taking that shot to the head. That was a scary moment. He seemed to come out of it fine. Hopefully he is. Poor guy already missed a lot of time this season with the broken hand.

Wow ILuvHockey, you must really love hockey taking in all that in one day!
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Hockeylover321 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:28 pm Wow ILuvHockey, you must really love hockey taking in all that in one day!
I do. My girlfriend? Not so much, hahahaha.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The Mid-West has easily been the most exciting division in these playoffs. I thought Listowel wouldn't have any problems with Waterloo. I know Waterloo has a good hard working team. But, wow... If they can get the win tonight they'll have a 3-2 series lead.

And how about Elmira! They had a decent season, but couldn't seem to get as much out of their top players as other teams. But what a statement they've made against a very powerful Stratford team in this series! Should be another great game tonight. Stratford's goalie had a nice bounce back game, but will he have another good start? Or will we see the Badenhorst of the first two games?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Elmira wins tonight and takes a 3-2 series lead over Stratford. I didn't see that coming, heading into this series.

Big win for Listowel tonight. Waterloo has to win 2 straight to win the series. I don't think that will happen, but who knows...
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

What is truly amazing in the Elmira/Stratford series is that neither team has won on home ice. Game 6 on Sunday in Elmira should be a great one. The question is can the Kings break the home ice curse in this series?

I have to admit to be cheering on the Kings and hoping for a rematch for the Cherrey Cup.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Waterloo held on for the 2-1 win this afternoon. Next up, game 7.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

Woah, very few thought the Siskins would be able to go to 5 let alone 7! Must have been quite the game.

Heading to the Kings/Warriors game...........hopefully the home team wins this game as well!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Stratford Eliminated

Two upsets so far in the 2nd round.

Elmira takes out Stratford in 6 games

St.Thomas takes out Leamington in 7 games.

Could be two more upsets coming.

Waterloo's looking to eliminate Listowel in game 7, and Ancaster is looking to do the same to St.Catharines.
Hockeylover321

Post by Hockeylover321 »

Hate game 7's! A bad bounce of the puck can end someone's season.

As much as I'd like to see Waterloo complete the upset, I think that Listowel will put it out of the fire tonight.

OTOH St Catharines has 4 suspended players tonight so I believe Ancaster will pull it off.

It will be a fun night in the GOJHL.