2017-2018 Season Predictions

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

ILuvHackey

2017-2018 Season Predictions

Post by ILuvHackey »

Super early, but let's get this party started. I will revise before the showcase with final predictions. Gonna be nice to only have to drive down HWY24 this year for about 20 minutes instead of the hour plus drive to London.

Team Standings
1. Listowel - returned most of the Cherrey Cup team. Deep, talented.
2. Elmira - possibly more scoring than last year, good back end. Goaltending good enough?
3. Waterloo - a good chunk of returning players, deep back end. Continue to be a solid system team?
4. Guelph - Depth at forward with skill to put up good points. Back end good enough?
5. Stratford - Some skill up front, star-in-the-making Dman, but relatively weak back end?
6. Kitchener - Relatively unspectacular. Some hard working players, some skill. Room to add?
7. Brantford - Looked poised to take a step forward before losing Walker. Who pushes the team offensively?
8. Brampton - Mostly unknown midget players, much like last year. Will they work as hard as last year's group?

Most Likely to Lead Midwest in Scoring
1. Holdyn Lansink (Listowel)
2. Jack Scanlan (Stratford)
3. Bailey Molella (Elmira)
Honorable Mentions: Jake Lee (Listowel), Sam Cherry (Waterloo), Tyler Harrison (Guelph), Kole Scott (Kitchener)

Best Dman in Midwest Candidates
1. Ryan Nicholson (Stratford)
2. Matt Murray (Elmira)
3. Alex Cimino (Waterloo)
HMs: Tyler McBay (Elmira), Matt Prucha (Waterloo), Danny Skinner (Listowel)

Midwest Rookie of the Year Candidates
1. Justin McCombs (Waterloo)
2. Kaleb Pearson (Stratford)
3. Jet Greaves (Guelph)
HMS: Mark Cooper (Kitchener), Alex Lycett (Waterloo), Peter Izzo (Guelph)

Midwest Goalie of the Year Candidates
1. Max Wright (Listowel)
2. Trenton McGrail (Guelph)
3. Evan Reinhart (Brantford)
HMS: Tyler Mazzacato (Elmira), Brett Miller (Waterloo), Jet Greaves (Guelph), Ruan Badenhorst (Stratford)

Still lots of unknowns. I will edit this once camp opens and I can take a look at the pointstreak names that teams have entered (including returning guys). With CTV not covering the league, Cambridge not having a team (therefore no Bill Doucet articles), it feels like the signing tweets have slowed down to a crawl.

EDIT 1: Quick update on Sept 5 with some of the names I've seen play some exhibition games and some research I did. Hopefully able to do one more update before the showcase this weekend, which I will be at all weekend!

EDIT 2: Another update on Sept 6. Rosters are up on Pointstreak except Elmira and Brantford (though both teams have reported a number of signings). Guelph looks like a darkhorse team to me. Let's drop the puck!

EDIT 3: Last update. Season is here starting tonight! HOCKEY IS BACK BABY!
Last edited by ILuvHackey on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bobbyorr

Re: 2017-2018 Season Predictions

Post by Bobbyorr »

There are a couple of new kids in Elmira that will be in the Running for Rookie of the Year and Best D.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 am Super early, but let's get this party started. I will revise before the showcase with final predictions. Gonna be nice to only have to drive down HWY24 this year for about 20 minutes instead of the hour plus drive to London.

Team Standings
1. Elmira
2. Stratford
3. Listowel
4. Waterloo
5. Brantford
6. Kitchener
7. Guelph
8. Brampton

1. Jack Scanlan (Stratford)
2. Bailey Molella (Elmira)
3. Kyle Walker (Brantford)
Honorable Mentions (if back as rumored): Jake Lee (Listowel), Sam Cherry (Waterloo)

1. Ryan Nicholson (Stratford) - if he doesn't make QMJHL team
2. ??
3. ??
HMs: ??

1. Mark Woolley (Brantford)
3. ??
HMS: ??

1. ??
2. ??
3. ??
HMS: ??

Still lots of unknowns. I will edit this once camp opens and I can take a look at the pointstreak names that teams have entered (including returning guys). With CTV not covering the league, Cambridge not having a team (therefore no Bill DOucet articles), it feels like the signing tweets have slowed down to a crawl.
Elmira
Listowel
Stratford
Waterloo
Kitchener
Brantford
Guelph
Brampton
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Updated my predictions as best I could based on the information I have. See everyone this weekend at the Showcase!
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Team Standings
1. Listowel
2. Waterloo
3. Elmira
4. Stratford
5. Kitchener
6. Brantford
7. Guelph
8. Brampton
Bobbyorr

Post by Bobbyorr »

The only way Elmira is any where near the top is to get rid of the Coach and start using the whole bench and not just the overagers!
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

ILuvHackey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 am Super early, but let's get this party started. I will revise before the showcase with final predictions. Gonna be nice to only have to drive down HWY24 this year for about 20 minutes instead of the hour plus drive to London.

Team Standings
1. Listowel - returned most of the Cherrey Cup team. Deep, talented.
2. Elmira - possibly more scoring than last year, good back end. Goaltending good enough?
3. Waterloo - a good chunk of returning players, deep back end. Continue to be a solid system team?
4. Guelph - Depth at forward with skill to put up good points. Back end good enough?
5. Stratford - Some skill up front, star-in-the-making Dman, but relatively weak back end?
6. Kitchener - Relatively unspectacular. Some hard working players, some skill. Room to add?
7. Brantford - Looked poised to take a step forward before losing Walker. Who pushes the team offensively?
8. Brampton - Mostly unknown midget players, much like last year. Will they work as hard as last year's group?

1. Holdyn Lansink (Listowel)
2. Jack Scanlan (Stratford)
3. Bailey Molella (Elmira)
Honorable Mentions: Jake Lee (Listowel), Sam Cherry (Waterloo), Tyler Harrison (Guelph), Kole Scott (Kitchener)

1. Ryan Nicholson (Stratford)
2. Matt Murray (Elmira)
3. Alex Cimino (Waterloo)
HMs: Tyler McBay (Elmira), Matt Prucha (Waterloo), Danny Skinner (Listowel)

1. Justin McCombs (Waterloo)
3. Jet Greaves (Guelph)
HMS: Mark Cooper (Kitchener), Alex Lycett (Waterloo), Peter Izzo (Guelph)

1. Max Wright (Listowel)
2. Trenton McGrail (Guelph)
3. Evan Reinhart (Brantford)
HMS: Tyler Mazzacato (Elmira), Brett Miller (Waterloo), Jet Greaves (Guelph), Ruan Badenhorst (Stratford)

Still lots of unknowns. I will edit this once camp opens and I can take a look at the pointstreak names that teams have entered (including returning guys). With CTV not covering the league, Cambridge not having a team (therefore no Bill Doucet articles), it feels like the signing tweets have slowed down to a crawl.

EDIT 1: Quick update on Sept 5 with some of the names I've seen play some exhibition games and some research I did. Hopefully able to do one more update before the showcase this weekend, which I will be at all weekend!

EDIT 2: Another update on Sept 6. Rosters are up on Pointstreak except Elmira and Brantford (though both teams have reported a number of signings). Guelph looks like a darkhorse team to me. Let's drop the puck!

EDIT 3: Last update. Season is here starting tonight! HOCKEY IS BACK BABY!
SO I was so very wrong on Guelph, and definitely didn't see Stratford being THIS dominant offensively. Most else I got fairly right.

At the end of the year, my opinions are:

Best Forward: Jack Scanlan
Best Dman: Ryan Nicholson
Best Rookie: Kaleb Pearson
Best Goalie: Max Wright

First All-Star Team: F: Del Vecchio - Scanlan - Pearson D: Nicholson - Coyle G: Wright
Second All-Star Team: F: Lansink - Cherry - Polilo D: Dam - Taylor G: Badenhourst
All Rookie Team: F: Lycett - Del Vecchio - Pearson D: Zuber - Macey G: Greaves