Elmira Sugar Kings

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Caledonia Fan

Elmira Sugar Kings

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://observerxtra.com/2016/04/07/time-say-goodbye/

A very good read about the Elmira Sugar Kings and the gojhl.
I like the lines by Jeff Snyder
I don’t know that we’ll see many guys like that,” said Elmira’s director of hockey operations, Jeff Snyder.

“They both played four years in Elmira. I don’t know that we’ll see that very often anymore

He could be right about guys staying 4 years in JR-B.
ILuvHackey

Re: Elmira Sugar Kings

Post by ILuvHackey »

Elmira made some announcements this morning.

Re-signed:
- Jonathan Reinhart (9GP-.920SV%) 96G
- Tyler Biles (43GP-10P) 98F
- Dawson Shackleton (34GP-4P) 98D
- Klayton Hoelscher (16GP-5P) 97F

APs Signed to Roster:
- Zack Cameron (10GP-4P) 99F - Waterloo Midget (38 GP - 44P)
- Mason Sinkeldam (8GP-0P) 99D - Waterloo Midget (40GP-12P)

16 Year Old Cards Used:
- Tyler McBay 00D - Waterloo Minor Midget - 8th RD, 146 Overall to Saginaw
- Keanan Stewart 00F - Guelph Minor Midget - 5th RD, 101 Overall to Owen Sound

New Singing:
- Blair Butchart 99F Mount Forest Jr. C (36GP-48P)

Acquisitions:
- Jake Brown 96F from Caledonia (48GP-77P)
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:Elmira made some announcements this morning.

Acquisitions:
How'd they get him? What went the other way?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:

Acquisitions:
https://twitter.com/SugarKings/status/7 ... 0958844928

@SugarKings
The Kings are excited to report the acquisition of 3 time defending Sutherland Cup Champ and 40+ goal scorer @brownjake_88 #letsmakeit4

No word on the cost. Usually it's cash, but not like Caledonia needs that. Possible that Brown is going to school in Waterloo and wanted to be closer? Elmira has already used their two 16 cards, so that's not being moved to Caledonia either.

I'll be interested to see.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:

Acquisitions:
https://twitter.com/SugarKings/status/7 ... 0958844928

@SugarKings
The Kings are excited to report the acquisition of 3 time defending Sutherland Cup Champ and 40+ goal scorer @brownjake_88 #letsmakeit4

No word on the cost. Usually it's cash, but not like Caledonia needs that. Possible that Brown is going to school in Waterloo and wanted to be closer? Elmira has already used their two 16 cards, so that's not being moved to Caledonia either.

I'll be interested to see.
That kid's dynamite! He'll probably lead the league in scoring. Big loss for Caledonia.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
DETGHOJHLFAN

Post by DETGHOJHLFAN »

Any Word on Ethan Skinner yet ? will he Sign with Trenton or go back to Elmira What's everyone Think ? I really like what I seen from him in the few games he played for Trenton in the playoffs very quick and plays a lot bigger then he is.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Copied from my post in Siskins forum:

@DarrenStevenson 10h10 hours ago
BIG trade in @GOJHL is now OFFICIAL. @WaterlooSiskins defenceman @Jslegers12 has been traded to @SugarKings for goalie @liamdevine98 #GOJHL

Huge trade. Slegers can be a top 6 grinding forward with size or he has such great mobility on the back end. Devine is a legitimate number one goalie, which Waterloo essentially didn't have until late in the season when Datz got his game together.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

DETGHOJHLFAN wrote:Any Word on Ethan Skinner yet ? will he Sign with Trenton or go back to Elmira What's everyone Think ? I really like what I seen from him in the few games he played for Trenton in the playoffs very quick and plays a lot bigger then he is.
He just signed in the BCHL
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
DETGHOJHLFAN wrote:Any Word on Ethan Skinner yet ? will he Sign with Trenton or go back to Elmira What's everyone Think ? I really like what I seen from him in the few games he played for Trenton in the playoffs very quick and plays a lot bigger then he is.
It would be interesting to get a number on how many players will be in the BCHL this season, that were in the GOJHL last season.

Seems like a lot of kids have left for that league this year. Can't fault them though, I keep hearing that league gets great exposure.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

The BCHL did heavily scout the GOJHL last season. I would expect the same going forward. It is the top Jr A league in Canada and players don't pay. This season had alot of very good 17 and 18 year olds.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:
ILuvHackey wrote:
It would be interesting to get a number on how many players will be in the BCHL this season, that were in the GOJHL last season.

Seems like a lot of kids have left for that league this year. Can't fault them though, I keep hearing that league gets great exposure.
Says something about our league. There's the BCHL and then there is every other Junior A league. It's a league not far behind the USHL, and it's getting better. Heck, they had two first round picks in the NHL draft this year.

It's free - they get upwards of 3000 fans at games for the top 3 or 4 teams (the low end teams get around 1000) - plus they are the best Canadian league for scholarship opportunities. I know there are two BCHL scouts who live in the Cambridge-Kitchener-Waterloo area area and are at pretty much every Midwest game on the weekends.

I don't fault kids who go there - unlike the OJ. That's a great opportunity.

However, if our league does get the A status, all of a sudden the BCHL has to trade for our players rather than signing and paying the team (Elmira in this case) a fee.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

The BCHL is closing the gap on major junior as well. Biggest difference being that you still qualify for NCAA. The teams are built strictly on talent. The fact that it is free helps it draw the best players in Canada that are not on a Major Junior team. There is no comparison to the OJHL or the GOJHL. Other than marginally better scouting, the players going from here to the OJ gain very little if anything hence why several return.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Agree about the BCHL. This years NHL draft pretty much speaks for itself.