Stratford Cullitons Cherrey Cup Champions

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Stratford Cullitons Cherrey Cup Champions

Post by Port hockey1 »

BY RYAN DRURYAPRIL 9, 2016 7:12AM@r_drury08

The Stratford Cullitons are Cherrey Cup Champions after a 12 year drought.

They defeated the Waterloo Siskins 8-3 in game 5 last night, to take the series 4-1. After losing the first game of the series, it was all Cullitons from there, winning games in dominating fashion en route the first Cherrey Cup in over a decade.

A recent 5 year stretch saw the Cullitons make the finals, only to come up short, including in 2014 when they lost to the same Waterloo Siskins franchise.

Captain Tyson Baker said to finally get it done was really special.

“At the start of the year we all wanted to win so bad, it was our number 1 goal, and to do it in front of these fans and for this town is unreal.”

Head Coach Dave Williams didn’t have many words after the big win, simply praising the team he has overseen all year.

“You know what, these guys have been incredible, our leadership group, starting with guys like Tyson (Baker), all the way down to (Zach) Van Louwe, in his last year, and young local kids like Mav (Maverick Petrie), it has been a great ride coaching this group.”

Speaking of Petrie, the young Stratford native had a momentum swinging fight in the 2nd period. Though the Cullitons were up 5-2 at that point, it seemed to take a lot of wind out of Waterloo and gave the Cullitons an added boost to close things out. Petrie spoke afterwards about his feeling winning the Cup in his birthplace.

“Being a hometown kid, this is extra special, it feels so awesome, you grow up watching this team, this is your NHL, right?”

Petrie also addressed where he drew inspiration for the big fight.

“Well, I’ve watched Slapshot a few times, maybe from there, or Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em, I don’t know,” he said with a big grin, “I thought maybe one day it would come in handy.”

Perhaps one of the best moments was seeing Zach Van Louwe, in his last year of Junior B, lift the Cup. He spoke about what it meant to him afterward.

“That feeling, when I got that Cup above my head and the fans were screaming at me…I can’t even describe it.”

Congratulations to the Stratford Cullitons, a very deserving championship bunch, and to the Waterloo Siskins, a team that came into the playoffs a 6th seed and swept away Listowel and Kitchener to be here in the finals of the Cherry Cup.

What a ride.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Re: Stratford Cullitons Cherrey Cup Champions

Post by RocketGirl »

So my blog boss wrote an article the other night after Stratford's series win, about their obnoxious fans.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/embarra ... tons-fans/

It's actually had over 3100 views so far.

I just saw on Facebook that the Stratford Cullitons board have received some complaints to go with the article and have released the following statement.

Message from Stratford Culliton Hockey Club Executive:

"Following our exciting win on Friday night, some very negative news about one of our fans was posted on the INTERNET and this has generated several responses from other fans who follow our hockey Club.

The Stratford Cullitons are proud winners of the 2016 Cherrey Cup. The success we have enjoyed this season has been due to the hard work and dedication of our players, coaches, support staff, board members and our fans.

Since 1975, the Culliton Hockey Club has been proud of our fans and we appreciate their support. By in large, our fans are some of the most dedicated and supportive fans in Junior hockey.

In the past 36 hours our Club has received complaints and is aware of an article published on the Internet about the behavior of one of our fans. The behavior in question is unacceptable to our Hockey Club and will not be tolerated. As such the Board of the Stratford Hockey Club will be taking action to address the concerns expressed about rowdy, rude and obnoxious behavior. Some measures will include denial of entry or ejection from our homes games of any fan using profane language and gestures or intimidating or disturbing other fans.

As we prepare for the Sutherland Cup semi-final series against the London Nationals, please be assured we look forward to hosting you our fans at the Allman Arena, where generations of hockey fans have enjoyed great hockey and a place where fans and families can be proud of their hometown Stratford Cullitons."

Unfortunately, crappy fans are everywhere. People like to use the argument that they paid their money to get in, so they can say or do whatever they want. Just because you paid your $12 doesn't give you carte blanche to act like an idiot.

I've run into my fair share of ignorant fans over the years and the really unfortunate part is that the majority are middle aged men (30+), who should know how to act properly in public, and some have children with them, therefore they're teaching this behaviour to their kids.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:So my blog boss wrote an article the other night after Stratford's series win, about their obnoxious fans.

http://overtimesportsnation.com/embarra ... tons-fans/

It's actually had over 3100 views so far.

I just saw on Facebook that the Stratford Cullitons board have received some complaints to go with the article and have released the following statement.

Message from Stratford Culliton Hockey Club Executive:

"Following our exciting win on Friday night, some very negative news about one of our fans was posted on the INTERNET and this has generated several responses from other fans who follow our hockey Club.

The Stratford Cullitons are proud winners of the 2016 Cherrey Cup. The success we have enjoyed this season has been due to the hard work and dedication of our players, coaches, support staff, board members and our fans.

Since 1975, the Culliton Hockey Club has been proud of our fans and we appreciate their support. By in large, our fans are some of the most dedicated and supportive fans in Junior hockey.

In the past 36 hours our Club has received complaints and is aware of an article published on the Internet about the behavior of one of our fans. The behavior in question is unacceptable to our Hockey Club and will not be tolerated. As such the Board of the Stratford Hockey Club will be taking action to address the concerns expressed about rowdy, rude and obnoxious behavior. Some measures will include denial of entry or ejection from our homes games of any fan using profane language and gestures or intimidating or disturbing other fans.

As we prepare for the Sutherland Cup semi-final series against the London Nationals, please be assured we look forward to hosting you our fans at the Allman Arena, where generations of hockey fans have enjoyed great hockey and a place where fans and families can be proud of their hometown Stratford Cullitons."

Unfortunately, crappy fans are everywhere. People like to use the argument that they paid their money to get in, so they can say or do whatever they want. Just because you paid your $12 doesn't give you carte blanche to act like an idiot.

I've run into my fair share of ignorant fans over the years and the really unfortunate part is that the majority are middle aged men (30+), who should know how to act properly in public, and some have children with them, therefore they're teaching this behaviour to their kids.
In all fairness, when people pay their money, they are in fact entitled to voice their opinions. We had a very loud fan in Port for several years... Had to start standing somewhere else because buddy was giving me a headache. :)

But I agree that there's a line that shouldn't be crossed. There's no reason to use profanity or make personal comments about any players.

The guy being talked about in the article... Why hasn't anyone knocked him out after a game yet??? I've done it to a guy for making some ignorant comments right in my face after a game, I've seen others do it to people for less. How does this guy have a horseshoe shoved up his rear end???
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

People pay good money to attend an event at Budweiser Gardens, whether it's a Knights game, Lightening game, concert, etc., and if they are free to act however they want, since they paid to be there, then why does Budweiser Gardens have this posted on their website.

Code of Conduct
Budweiser Gardens is committed to providing an entertaining experience to all patrons and a safe work environment for such patrons and staff. As such, any verbal or physical harassment or other abusive behavior towards other patrons or staff members will not be tolerated by management and may in management’s discretion result in the responsible party being ejected from the venue and/or having their season tickets, premium seating license or tickets to any future events (as applicable) cancelled without refund.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:People pay good money to attend an event at Budweiser Gardens, whether it's a Knights game, Lightening game, concert, etc., and if they are free to act however they want, since they paid to be there, then why does Budweiser Gardens have this posted on their website.

Code of Conduct
Budweiser Gardens is committed to providing an entertaining experience to all patrons and a safe work environment for such patrons and staff. As such, any verbal or physical harassment or other abusive behavior towards other patrons or staff members will not be tolerated by management and may in management’s discretion result in the responsible party being ejected from the venue and/or having their season tickets, premium seating license or tickets to any future events (as applicable) cancelled without refund.
That covers harassment. It doesn't say you can't holler at the refs. And in London(OHL), have you heard some of the things people scream in there? Unreal. :)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

This article wasn't about the fans yelling at the refs. It was about the fans yelling at the other fans, giving them the finger, shouting lewd and horrid things at the young girls.

And no because I don't go to Knights games.
Queen of the GOJHL

Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:This article wasn't about the fans yelling at the refs. It was about the fans yelling at the other fans, giving them the finger, shouting lewd and horrid things at the young girls.

And no because I don't go to Knights games.
I know, I commented on that type of behavior. Its completely uncalled for. :)
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Good read on Cambridge's Rob Grant. What ever happen to Cambridge I thought they were going to take a shot at it this year. I think I picked them to finish second boy was I wrong. And I'm not the only one.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports-sto ... errey-cup/
Hockeyhead1

Post by Hockeyhead1 »

The article re the less than attractive actions and behaviour of the Cullitons fans is bang on.

The statement issued by the team is a little disappointing and naive in that it is indicating there is only an issue with the one fan. They must not watch their own home games.

I have seen issues with some of their fans at games away from the Allman as well.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Hockeyhead1 wrote:The article re the less than attractive actions and behaviour of the Cullitons fans is bang on.

The statement issued by the team is a little disappointing and naive in that it is indicating there is only an issue with the one fan. They must not watch their own home games.

I have seen issues with some of their fans at games away from the Allman as well.
It's lip service. The organization will do nothing next season. It's sad.
three dog night

Post by three dog night »

Any reason this series not starting Friday night.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I heard that there was something else at the Allman tonight, which is why the series starts tomorrow.
Queen of the GOJHL