Conference Finals: Stratford(2) vs Waterloo(6), Playoff Thread & Predictions

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Conference Finals: Stratford(2) vs Waterloo(6), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by Port hockey1 »

Stratford in 6
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
three dog night

Re: Conference Finals: Stratford(2) vs Waterloo(6), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by three dog night »

Stratford in four
jfvoll

Re: Conference Finals: Stratford(2) vs Waterloo(6), Playoff Thread & Predictions

Post by jfvoll »

Waterloo in 6
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

If Waterloo takes it, it'll be a quick one (5 games). But if it goes 7, Stratford takes it.

Going with a long 7 game series - bet most games are of the 9-7, 12-9 variety between these two.
tendee

Post by tendee »

Strat in 7- home ice
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Stratford in 6
End of a era in Leamington
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Stratford - 6
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Conference Final Preview

Stratford won the season series 4-0-2

Season Mettings:

Waterloo 9 Stratford 12
Stratford 2 Waterloo 1
Stratford 3 Waterloo 4 OT
Stratford 2 Waterloo 3 OT
Waterloo 6 Stratford 7
Waterloo 1 Stratford 5

How They Got Here:

Stratford swept Brampton 4-0, and defeated Elmira 4-2.

Waterloo swept Listowel 4-0, and defeated Kitchener 4-1.

Playoff Scoring Leaders:

Stratford:

J.Scanlan 10 Games- 6-13--19
Z.Pryor 10 Games- 8-10--18
Z.Van Louwe 10 Games- 7-11--18
J.Graham 10 Games- 3-10--13
H.Broomhead 10 Games- 7-5--12

Waterloo:

C.Jean 9 Games- 7-7--14
L.Goodman 9 Games- 4-4--8
J.Slegers(D) 9 Games- 1-7--8
N.Schnarr 6 Games- 3-4--7
N.King(D) 9 Games- 3-3--6

Top Goalies:

Stratford- A.Brooks-Potts 8-2, 2 Shutouts, 2.07 GAA, .927 SV%

Waterloo- M.Datz 8-1, 2.18 GAA, .938 SV%

Team Playoff Stats:

Stratford: 63 goals for, 21 goals against, 191 penalty minutes, 4-1 at home, 4-1 on the road.

Waterloo: 30 goals for, 20 goals against, 190 penalty minutes, 4-0 at home, 4-1 on the road.

Team Injuries:

Stratford- Forward D.Goss & defensemen J.Wieringa have missed their last few games. Their status is unkown.

Waterloo- Top forward N.Schnarr has missed their last 3 games with an undisclosed injury. Defensemen A.Lane has missed their last two games, while defensemen V.Robbins didn't play in their last game. All three players status are unkown.

A Little Bit About These Teams:

Stratford had another great season and turned things up in the second half. They have a fast paced team that features a lot of offense, and a solid defense. They added former Thorold Blackhawk A.Brooks-Potts in net at the deadline to shore up their goaltending. They've looked very good when I've seen them this post season and will be motivated to win the Conference this season after going home empty handed the last several seasons.

But getting past Waterloo will be no easy task. After struggling for much of the first half, ownership brought in several key players near the deadline and their play has greatly improved since then. They've received great goaltending, and after sweeping the 3 seed, they took out the best team in the GOJHL in 5 games... So don't make the mistake of looking past them.

This series will come down to goaltending and injuries. If Shcnarr is ready to go, Waterloo has a chance, if he's out for the series it will be a very difficult task.

I see Stratford's need to get things done this year propelling them to a Conference Championship in 6 games. Brooks-Potts will win them a few games on his own.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:Waterloo- Top forward N.Schnarr has missed their last 3 games with an undisclosed injury. Defensemen A.Lane has missed their last two games, while defensemen V.Robbins didn't play in their last game. All three players status are unkown.
Lane played in their win over Kitchener - he was a 2 game suspension in games 3-4, but played Game 5.

Robbins is a 6-7D there, and it looked like he missed last game because Borbeau or however you spell it was back. I'm assuming they want Borbeau ready to go as he played in Stratford last season and is used to the Allman.

Schnarr is the big question mark.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Thanks for clearing that up, and for the update.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Waterloo takes game one 5-3. They led 4-1 & 5-2 in this game. They look legit.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Waterloo played a great game last night. They came out ready to play and earned that 5 3 win. What I noticed was that they didn't let Stratford get any quality shots on net.

Datz was great in net. At the other end, Brooks-Potts looked shaky. He was flopping around, trying to play the puck, getting turned around in the crease, was not a good night for him.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

RocketGirl wrote:Waterloo played a great game last night. They came out ready to play and earned that 5 3 win.

That first goal within the opening minute really took the crowd out of the game.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Waterloo have never missed the post-season in team history.That's a long history. I never knew that.
Great win for Waterloo last night now all the pressure is on Stratford.

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/20 ... herrey-cup

http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/20 ... herrey-cup
three dog night

When did a seven place team seed seven games below 500 won the division final did Waterloo play possum or did they have injuries thru the season.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Reality check tonight, 7-0... Ouch! :smt021
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Waterloo are not great skaters and couldn't set anything up on the big Ice. I can see them being a good team on a small ice surface but on a bigger surface it showed why they were the 6th place team
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Waterloo plays on a big ice. That makes know sense .
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I know they play on a big ice. Their not great skaters which kills them on the big ice. Idk what u don't understand (don't mean to be rude)
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Cali vairs! wrote:Waterloo are not great skaters and couldn't set anything up on the big Ice. I can see them being a good team on a small ice surface but on a bigger surface it showed why they were the 6th place team
During the regular season, Waterloo was 12-11-0-2 at home, we lost every road game in Listowel and Stratford on their small ice during the regular season.

The thing is that Waterloo hasn't played on the big ice in over 2 weeks, while Stratford has last week. That's no justification for the loss, but, it's something to consider.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Cali vairs! wrote:Waterloo are not great skaters and couldn't set anything up on the big Ice. I can see them being a good team on a small ice surface but on a bigger surface it showed why they were the 6th place team
They're a skating hockey team. They're at their best on big ice. They controlled the play for 10 minutes, let in a goal and then deflated. The team that played last night looked nothing like the team since Christmas.

Willing to bet a bit of partying was at play after a big game 1 win, more than anything.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Willing to bet a bit of partying was at play after a big game 1 win, more than anything.
They also had a morning practice I heard
three dog night

Stratford looks they are rounding into from blow out Waterloo again tonight 8 to 3.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

First game I've watched in the MW Playoffs where I felt like the reffing really had an impact. Waterloo were the better team through 30 and a couple baffling calls deflated them. They didn't show up after that, and called it a night.

Too bad because these two teams have played good hockey - both fast, both skilled and it's been a heated affair where momentum swings have been fun.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Last nights game. Just like ILuvHackey said

A questionable hooking call to Siskins forward Jared Lindsay set the wheels in motion as the Cullitons detonated for four consecutive markers in that wild six minutes, including a pair on the power-play.

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6 ... r-siskins/
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Last nights game. Just like ILuvHackey said

A questionable hooking call to Siskins forward Jared Lindsay set the wheels in motion as the Cullitons detonated for four consecutive markers in that wild six minutes, including a pair on the power-play.

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6 ... r-siskins/
That was the call I was thinking about -- Lindsay got tripped at center ice, Loo's bench erupted waiting for a call -- nothing -- all of 10 seconds later on a hard back check by Lindsay, he stick checked the Cullies forward and gets called for the hook. Broomhead scored seconds into the powerplay and you could just see the Waterloo bench deflate.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I watched about 30 seconds of that game... I saw a trip not get called, then Waterloo was whistled for tripping/hooking seconds later. I was wondering what the officiating was like in that game.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:I watched about 30 seconds of that game... I saw a trip not get called, then Waterloo was whistled for tripping/hooking seconds later. I was wondering what the officiating was like in that game.
I'm a Cambridge fan, so I have some bias, but Stratford is always on the good end of calls in the Allman. Countless refs will tell you they whistle plays around Stratty's net quicker, they call borderline calls against opponents and they hesitate to call anything that's not absolutely 100000% obvious against Stratford. All because the fans there get on you so hard, and it's intimidating.

Been at both games in the Allman for this series, and the fans are borderline nutbar right now. Worse than I've seen them in the regular season. Those fans want it bad after countless years as the bridesmaid.

Tough hill for Cinderella to climb...