Kitchener(1) vs Waterloo(6), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

Kitchener(1) vs Waterloo(6), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Waterloo takes game one

Looks like Waterloo was the better team tonight. They look to have easily skated to their 4-1 win. Kitchener out-shot them 13-7 in the 1st period, and led 1-0 after the 1st.

But the final two periods were a different story. Waterloo out-shot Kitchener 28-12, and out scored them 4-0 over the final two periods.

Kitchener always struggles in the playoffs. I don't see this season being any different.

What triggered all of this in the 2nd period?
Waterloo - Gary Mantz - (Cross Checking) (Major) (CC), 5 MIN, 9:40
Waterloo - Gary Mantz - (Cross Checking) (Game Misconduct) (GM54), 0 MIN, 9:40
Waterloo - Luke Gazzola - (High Sticking) (HS), 2 MIN, 9:40
Kitchener - Connor Cole - (Boarding) (Major) (BDG), 5 MIN, 9:40
Kitchener - Connor Cole - (Boarding) (Game Misconduct) (GM57), 0 MIN, 9:40
Kitchener - Adam Kawalec - (Goalie Interference) (INTGT), 2 MIN, 9:40
Looks like someone was ran into the boards, and the kid who did it was cross-checked fairly violently...?

Will both team's lose the player who was assessed the major to suspension? It would be a big blow to both teams, but more so to Waterloo.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
ILuvHackey

Re: Kitchener(1) vs Waterloo(6), 2nd Round Playoff Thread

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:Will both team's lose the player who was assessed the major to suspension? It would be a big blow to both teams, but more so to Waterloo.
Huh?

Connor Cole - their captain and 85 pt guy who does all the hard work that's allowed Kawalec to be so deadly is a far bigger loss than Gary Mantz who is a very one dimensional second line scorer.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Cross checking major and boarding major are both non-suspendable.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I was afraid this was going to happen to Kitchener.
Now they go to Waterloo for two games.
Never saw Waterloo play this year so can't say.
Saw Kitchener play a few times in Brantford.
They have good size on there defence, but a lot of small forwards
I think I remember only one forward that had good size.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Now the rest of Kitchener's home games are in the Rangers rink. So Kitchener will be playing on NHL size rink at home instead of Olympic size.

It will be a good series to watch/follow.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Kitchener has a fast forward group who set up plays really well with their passing. They are very strong on their feet though for small guys. Never saw Waterloo play but with all the moves they made at the deadline looks like they could give Kitchener some trouble. Hope to go see a game or too.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:Will both team's lose the player who was assessed the major to suspension? It would be a big blow to both teams, but more so to Waterloo.
Huh?

Connor Cole - their captain and 85 pt guy who does all the hard work that's allowed Kawalec to be so deadly is a far bigger loss than Gary Mantz who is a very one dimensional second line scorer.
Kitchener has depth, Waterloo doesn't. Plus Kitchener is already the favorite. That's why I see it hurting Waterloo more.

But I see neither will be suspended. I don't follow this league very closely. Was just taking a guess with my above comment.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like Kitchener's in deep trouble. Down 2-0, it isn't looking good.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Waterloo loses it's best defenseman, Lane, for 2 games to suspension and their best forward, Schnarr, only played 2 or 3 shifts in the third from my eyes, after limping off the ice at end of 2nd. Might be huge for this series right there.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Waterloo pulls off another one. Up 3 games to 0. Kitchener takes a Major at the end of the game for running goalie. Didn't see it, read the game sheet. I trust the goalie is ok, and this wasn't a horrible play by the Kitchener player to get a hot goalie out of the series.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Kitchener stays alive with a 3-1 win this afternoon. Anyone think they can make the comeback?

Anyone ever seen a 3-0 series comeback? I saw Port Colborne come back from a 3-0 series hole against Welland a few years ago. Completed the series comeback with an OT win in game 7. One of the best series involving Port that I've ever seen. :)
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Kitchener might have a chance to come back but I think it will be close. Way Waterloo had been playing suggests otherwise. Anybody know if the goalie who got rammed is still playing?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Yes he is. It was Mitchell Datz. And he got hit twice in yesterday's game. First time was in the 1st and I don't think there was a call on it, but I could be wrong about that.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

RocketGirl wrote:Yes he is. It was Mitchell Datz. And he got hit twice in yesterday's game. First time was in the 1st and I don't think there was a call on it, but I could be wrong about that.
First hit was Subban, who took a couple strides despite puck being nowhere close. They called goalie interference, but he should have been thrown. Subban continues to be such a compete disgrace in our league. And that's coming from a Cambridge fan.

Noticed you were there tweeting about Game 4, RG. Am I the only one who thought both Waterloo and Kitchener seemed absolutely exhausted? Game had very little pace.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Subban seems to play for what's on the back of the jersey rather than what's on the front
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Yeah I found the game rather boring. I was told that neither team likes playing in the Aud, so that could be why.
Queen of the GOJHL

ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

RocketGirl wrote:Yeah I found the game rather boring. I was told that neither team likes playing in the Aud, so that could be why.
Kitchener usually plays at Kinsmen in round 1 and then switches to the Aud for round 2 and it seems to be where they always go down. The 2nd Round Aud curse....
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Subban seems to play for what's on the back of the jersey rather than what's on the front
Is he related to the other Subban's?
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Yea cousins
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Yea cousins
He must not have to worry about money... :)
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

ILuvHackey wrote:
RocketGirl wrote:Yeah I found the game rather boring. I was told that neither team likes playing in the Aud, so that could be why.
Kitchener usually plays at Kinsmen in round 1 and then switches to the Aud for round 2 and it seems to be where they always go down. The 2nd Round Aud curse....
They're also both pretty tired I believe. I heard the schedule was so tight because Kitchener thought they could sweep the series and have alot more time to rest.

I agree there is the Aud curse, it must be weird for the Dutchmen to go from the "cozy" Kinsmen to the cavernous Aud
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Y do they switch arenas?
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

They take the ice out for home shows etc
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Oh ok. That would suck to have to go back and forth at the most important time in the season. I can see why they lose at this point a lot now. Thanks
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Kitchener eliminated

Huge 4-3 OT win for Waterloo tonight. They win the best of seven series 4-1 after sweeping Listowel in the 1st round.

Is this team legit?
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Game 1 - Kitchener looked like the best tea, int he league int he 1st, but the Siskins came back and absolutely dominated the next two periods

Game 2 - Kitchener was the clear better team, but Waterloo's goalie had the game of his life

Game 3 - Felt like an epic boxing match where blows were going back and forth. So many momentum swings, and such a heated even game.

Game 4 - Neither were very good. Kitchener got the bounces and won.

Game 5 - Kitchener comes out hot and heavy and it looks like they're building something, then Waterloo comes out for three straight periods and basically owns the puck and keeps coming in waves relentlessly until they prevailed.

This was one hell of a hockey series. Waterloo works so damn hard, have a hot goalie, and a really good power play. Keep in mind their best player, Rookie-of-the-Year Nate Schnarr, was out for Games 3-5 and no word on a return yet.

Kitchener relied too much on pure skill in the sense that those pretty cross-feed one-timers, and pretty tic-tac-toe goals that they racked up in the regular season is what they go back to in the post season, instead of putting pucks on net and crashing hard. That mindset caught up to them.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Waterloo, the Giant Killers. Whoever comes out of Stratford-Elmira, you better be prepared for the Siskins.
Queen of the GOJHL