Suspension Appeal

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

fussypucker

Suspension Appeal

Post by fussypucker »

The league should consider an acronym change….to something like G.J.O.K.E…..after it’s’ decision to lift the suspension of Elmira’s #23.
It is amazing what $500 can get nowadays; a repeat head shot offender can threaten a player on the bench during the game then follow through with a deliberate, intent to injure blind head shot that goes unpunished. Too bad the league and Elmira can’t figure out how to make CTV’s tape of the incident disappear. This league is a goddamn joke.
I am sure the player whose season was ended and his university jeopardized because of an illegal hit understands, the people watching CTV’s highlights understand and the gutless Elmira fans yelling at the unconscious player to “get up you pu***” understand……. this league is a joke.
No reputable league in this day and age, could justify lifting that suspension. I don’t know who is responsible for overturning the referees’ call, but I can guarantee they don’t have the balls to tell the injured player and his parents face to face why they let such a malicious hit go unpunished.
The G.J.O.K.E. is lucky that it was not my son who was the one who got hit because I would already be filing legal action against the league, the team and the player. There are witnesses on the bench who heard the threat, there is video footage and now a league that overturns its own officials’ rulings.
Development league…..what joke….keep telling yourself that. Say it long enough you will begin to believe it.
RocketGirl

Re: Suspension Appeal

Post by RocketGirl »

Are you referring to an incident that happened 2 months ago that he got a 6 game suspension for?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
fussypucker

Post by fussypucker »

I am referring to the head shot he threw in game 2 that was appealed and also to the fact he is a repeat offender for his previous suspension which was upheld.
Don't get me wrong, I take offense to how the hit was thrown (after threatening the player...premeditated...shows intent to injure) but I am more offended that the league could see anything in the video review that would justify overturning it. Some will say he hit shoulder then head; doesn't matter, player did not have puck and was hit from blind side. In today's game the onus is on the player throwing the check not to put another player at risk if in a vulnerable position.
Believe me, in my days of junior that was an acceptable hit.....or at least I think it was.....can't really remember cause of all the concussions!!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

fussypucker wrote:The league should consider an acronym change….to something like G.J.O.K.E…..after it’s’ decision to lift the suspension of Elmira’s #23.
It is amazing what $500 can get nowadays; a repeat head shot offender can threaten a player on the bench during the game then follow through with a deliberate, intent to injure blind head shot that goes unpunished. Too bad the league and Elmira can’t figure out how to make CTV’s tape of the incident disappear. This league is a goddamn joke.
I am sure the player whose season was ended and his university jeopardized because of an illegal hit understands, the people watching CTV’s highlights understand and the gutless Elmira fans yelling at the unconscious player to “get up you wimp” understand……. this league is a joke.
No reputable league in this day and age, could justify lifting that suspension. I don’t know who is responsible for overturning the referees’ call, but I can guarantee they don’t have the balls to tell the injured player and his parents face to face why they let such a malicious hit go unpunished.
The G.J.O.K.E. is lucky that it was not my son who was the one who got hit because I would already be filing legal action against the league, the team and the player. There are witnesses on the bench who heard the threat, there is video footage and now a league that overturns its own officials’ rulings.
Development league…..what joke….keep telling yourself that. Say it long enough you will begin to believe it.
This league has many issues that the OHA likes to sweep under the rug. Don't let this go, post a link to the video. Write to the league and your local papers.

If what you're saying is 100% accurate, I'm disgusted. I don't know the details, but even with the issue's this league does have, it's pretty upsetting to think what's described above actually took place.

Before anyone reply's to this: Keep in mind I said if this is 100% accurate, not that it's what happened.

The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Hockeyhead1

Post by Hockeyhead1 »

Hmmm...not exactly an accurate account of the events. I would say that the writer was not at the game. As a long time SK fan, I was.

The appeal process included video, one from CTV and other from the home team taping. One from each side of the ice. Both videos show that the hit was shoulder to shoulder, the player did not accelerate into the contact, did not leave his feet and did not elevate any part of his body (elbow, forearm). The contact was made within a second of the release of the puck. The injured player did have his head turned as he was following his pass. Very unfortunate that he was injured. I do agree that there is a responsibility from all players to not put others at risk, but the game is hockey and contact plays are finished throughout the game.

My reasoning that the writer was not there is that there was no one in the arena belittling the injured player on this play. The crowd was relatively quiet, realizing there was an injury.

Of interest, the writer does not mention that Guelph was issued a head contact penalty shortly afterwards. The call could also have been a charge (player chased down Elmira player half the length of the rink without breaking stride) or boarding. A forearm to the head was issued as the Elmira player was playing the puck . The kicker to this post is that as the Elmira player lay on the ice, now out with a separated shoulder, some Guelph fans were accusing him of "faking" his injury. I know, I was sitting there and heard it from the standing area above. Pot calling the kettle black?

I heard that Guelph had there own appeal on this one and that it was denied. Is it possible that one hit was intentional and the other was simply a hockey play? Unfortunately both resulted in injury, which no one wants to see.
Maguire25

Post by Maguire25 »

Here is a clip of the hit for people to make up their own mind.

https://youtu.be/_xAwrhlV82k
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I tried to view it and it says that video is private. But I think I saw a brief clip of it on Twitter, from the GOJHL Bandit. It wasn't long enough for me to actually base an opinion on, but it looked like the kid caught him with his head down and that he wasn't expecting it.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
fussypucker

Post by fussypucker »

I was at the game and saw first hand the hit and like I said, the onus is on the hitting player not to put another player in jeopardy. I did hear some Elmira fans shouting at player to get up. That being said, the issue I have is with the league. You can interpret video many different ways and once you slow video down it losses all context. The fact that the Elmira player skated to the bench and told the Guelph player he was going to kill him shows the intent for retaliation. Plus, if the league asked to see the Elmira player's phone they could have checked the tweet he sent out after the game....classy.
I did not mention Guelph's hit that resulted in a suspension because it was a blatant penalty. Curious though, if Hockeyhead1 was at the game he would realize there was no penalty originally called on the hit. The ref was calling a rough in the opposite corner and only after consultation with the linesmen while the Elmira player laid on the ice did they assess a head contact penalty. You are a little skewed in your account as to the length of pursuit; half the rink is from center ice....without breaking stride the Elmira player would be in a body cast not a sling. The Guelph player took at least 3 full strides before contact and if you want to get technical about it check the video; when the Guelph player initiated the check the Elmira player turned from his side to his back at the last second. Now who is to blame.....either way it is a boarding or a charge....both of which have to be called by an official but yet neither official raised his arm. Interesting thing though, linesman can call highsticking and headshot infractions....and some how a missed boarding or charging penalty with not head contact was changed to a major penalty for head contact......makes you go Hmmmmm.
I am not here to argue with fanatical fans, I only posted to air my opinion of the hit and disgust for the executives of the league who over turned the suspension.
Oh by the way RocketGirl, catching someone with their head down when they weren't expecting it, from the opposite side of the ice is called a "BLIND SIDE HIT" the very thing hockey has been trying to get rid of for the last 5 years.
Apparently in the G.J.O.K.E., one of Canada's premier development leagues, feels these types of hits are acceptable.
Last edited by RocketGirl on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for offensive content
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

I'm not taking much serious from a guy who's name is "fussypucker." What are you, 15?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Thanks so much for explaining that to me. I don't think I could have figured that out.
Queen of the GOJHL

Hockeyhead1

Post by Hockeyhead1 »

Did he/she really make that special olympics comment? Wow.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It's now been edited and removed. Comments like that are not acceptable.
Queen of the GOJHL

fussypucker

Post by fussypucker »

IluvHackey: I am glad your only retort is the goofy handle I made up....chances are you don't even get it. I thought it a little pompous to use something like "exproplayer" or the likes. In regards to the special olympics quote it is a well known quote that has been used by much more intelligent people than I in books and on the internet. I apologize if I upset any of the fine upstanding people on this forum even though the quote is 100% true in every facet especially forums like this.
Hockeyhead1; you should ask a real hockey player or google search the meaning of your user name because I know you never played hockey otherwise you wouldn't have chosen it....just wondered if you giving or receiving.
I am glad RocketGirl has the mighty power to edit and remove posts as a moderator but in the same vane leave a sarcastic remark about the definition of a blind side hit. I put that in not as sarcasm but as clarification and to highlight that you gave the definition without coming out and saying it. If you knew what it was why didn't you just say it.....Oh but then you would actually have to stand behind your words.
On the internet people can be anything they want, it's strange so many choose to be stupid.
Hockeyhead1

Post by Hockeyhead1 »

You know what they say, the best defence is a good offence, unfortunately it often present you in an even worse light.

Just googled Hockeyhead....it asked me if I mean't Hockey Hair, lol...I say no more, but to help you out a bit, a Metalhead likes heavy metal music, a Wrenchhead is into car repairs and a Hockeyhead likes...wait for it...hockey!

Best of luck to the Hurricanes tonight. Should be a good game.