Guelph Hurricanes

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Caledonia Fan

Guelph Hurricanes

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Pete Crosby stepping down as head coach of the Guelph Hurricanes.

http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports-sto ... urricanes/
RocketGirl

Re: Guelph Hurricanes

Post by RocketGirl »

You wanted some information and I've finally had some time to look it up.

http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports-sto ... urricanes/

Crosby quits coaching job with Guelph Hurricanes
Rob Massey,Mercury staff

GUELPH — Citing a concern for his mental well-being, Peter Crosby has stepped down from his position as head coach of the Guelph Hurricanes in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League and walked away from the junior B team.

"I just felt there were things outside of my control that were just too big to ignore and they were having a very big impact on how I was handling things," Crosby said. "It got to the point where I didn't like the way I was talking to the players. I didn't like the way I was talking to officials. I didn't like the way I was communicating with my coaching staff.

"When I sit back and look at how my perceptions were affecting my own personality and how I was treating people around me, I was embarrassed at myself."

Crosby, who felt his workload had increased this season and stewed about it, thought he had better walk away from the team before he did or said something he regretted.

"I was just getting to the point where I was allowing my frustrations to take over my personality," he said. "I had to get out."

Crosby emailed his resignation Saturday prior to the team's 3-2 loss in overtime to the Stratford Cullitons at the Sleeman Centre. Assistants Jeff Reid, Mike Down and Rocco Trentadue served as co-coaches that game and all are expected to stay with the Canes.

Crosby's last game on the Canes' bench was their 6-1 victory over the Brampton Bombers at Brampton on Friday night.

The idea of walking away from the team was not one that sat well with Crosby.

"I don't want to paint anyone with a dark picture because, at the end of the day, I'm the guy that walked away," he said. "I'm the guy that dropped the ball. I'm the guy that stepped away from his team. That's something that I've been really, really struggling with big time because I don't want to quit on these guys."

Crosby refused to put any of the blame for the way he felt on anybody but himself.

"I'm not throwing anybody under the bus and I don't want to throw anybody under the bus because if anybody deserves to be under the bus, it's me," he said. "I should be thrown under the bus because I walked away from my team. But I did it because I had to. I did it out of protection for them, me and the organization."

The Canes were 6-4-1 at the time of Crosby's resignation. He, Down and Trentadue joined the Canes for the 2013-14 season right after leading the Cambridge Winterhawks to the Midwestern Conference Cherrey Cup championship. The Canes had missed the playoffs in 2012-13 when they finished ninth in the conference with a 9-42-0 record.

They improved to 20-24-5 and sixth in the conference in 2013-14 and fifth at 28-17-4 last season. However, they were knocked out of the first round of the playoffs by the Waterloo Siskins both seasons.

Reid, who had been head coach of the Canes from the time Scott Hunter purchased the franchise midway through the 2012-13 season until the end of that campaign when he left to become an assistant coach with the OHL's Kingston Frontenacs, is expected to step back in as the Canes' head coach. He had rejoined the team as an assistant during the summer.

Next game for the Canes is Saturday at 7:30 p.m. when they're to host the Listowel Cyclones (8-5-0) at the Sleeman Centre.

rmassey@guelphmercury.com

The 2 statements that I bolded, that's why Pete Crosby is a stand up guy. Whether it means anything or not, I have a lot of respect for him, I think he's a great guy, and as much as you don't want to see anyone walk away from a team, I commend him for recognizing that there was a problem, that he wasn't in a great place, and to leave before it was too late.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.