Developing 17 year old players

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Oglethorp

Developing 17 year old players

Post by Oglethorp »

Which teams in the GOJHL are known for developing players for the next level? I see some teams that may lose a few games but at the end of the season have younger players that have developed to the point where they can play on an OHL roster. In my opinion LaSalle and Waterloo seem to fit this mold more so than some others that tend to ease their younger players in at such a slow pace that they don't develop to be ready for a higher Jr league until they are too old. This doesn't include 16 year olds because the teams are forced to develop them because of the HDM. I see some teams that this late in the season still only utilize their 17 year olds in a 3rd/4th or 5th/6th D role (or as a routine healthy scratch), but then when they return as 18 year olds start to get some PP and PK time.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
jfvoll

Re: Developing 17 year old players

Post by jfvoll »

I volunteer with Waterloo so I'm going to seem biased but I do think Waterloo seems to be developing a fair amount of \

This year we lost Troy Lajeunesse, Leo Lazerev who weren't drafted or signed before starting with Waterloo. The year before that we lost Keigan Goetz and Jimmy Soper the same way.

I'm sure we're gonna loose Gary Mantz to the OHL next season.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I think Troy Lajeunesse & Leo Lazeren where 16 year olds same with Keigan Goetz when they played protected
under the HDM (ice time). But for development in Leo Lazeren case it was his way of getting in to the OHA having something to do with developing Canadian goaltenders i don't know all the details maybe Blades or Rocketgirl can help. Remember Leo is from Moscow and with the best ritual before the start of every period worth the price of admission.
I think if 17 year old can play teams will play them and playing on the 3rd or 4th line or 5th or 6th defenceman is that not developing.There lots of teams with 17 years that play even higher in the line up.
But lets face it if your not in the OHA AT 17 or 18 your changes are slim you will play there anyway.
I like the GOJHL for the best shot of going to school on a scholarship thats why players stay in the JR B or JR A and not go up to the OHA.
Oglethorp

Post by Oglethorp »

Playing in a limited role is still development, but only to play more minutes in subsequent seasons. I think you would have to look at a 17 year old still being eased into game situations by playing in those roles as being in the teams long term plans. Likely to replace a departing 20 year old then play another 3 seasons. If a player is on a faster track, like getting a lot of PP and PK time now then the are being developed to move on to a higher league like the OHL or QMJHL. This is where I see a difference with teams like Waterloo over some others.
The Simon Cowell of the GOJHL.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

So, is your question which teams are better at developing in general, or developing those 17, or even 18 year olds, to stay within their club or the GOJHL until they're 20 and develop them for university hockey after they've graduated from Jr?

Sometimes it depends on the kid as well. Sometimes you get a 17 yr. old that you can see being with you until they're 20 and will be impact players at that time, but then after a couple years they've lost their spark, they're burnt out, whatever the case may be, and they're actually no good to you as a 20 yr. old.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Here is good article on developing a player from the local paper who play for Caledonia & Brantford.
Mind you every team in the GOJHL has there stars they have develop saying one team is better than the others i don"t know.
All i know you go to any of the web sites there is a lot players that have found success playing JR B.

CHECK IT OUT wp.me/p25DSr-5F5
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Just going to throw this out there. A lot of the time when you see a player lose their spark it has to do with personal issues. Sometimes it can be problems at home, depression, even drugs.

I know of a lot of former Jr.B players that are now hooked on hard drugs. It is both shocking & sad to see.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102