Cambridge jumping to Junior A in 2013-14

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

DMighton

Cambridge jumping to Junior A in 2013-14

Post by DMighton »

http://cambridgewinterhawks.ca/2012/04/ ... witterfeed

Apparently Tomorrow's Game is still alive...

I know at the Junior C/D levels they are trying to merge Western Junior C with the Northern teams of the SOJHL and rearrange the Niagara League with the Southern teams.

Apparently the OHA IS interested in SW Ontario teams in Junior A. Cambridge seems to be the first to make their intentions clear. Who's next?
Just a Hockey Fan

Re: Cambridge jumping to Junior A in 2013-14

Post by Just a Hockey Fan »

Awesome, it has gotten quite boring watching the same teams go at it year after year. Kudos to the Winterhawks.
:D
Just A Fan

Post by Just A Fan »

Funny the OHA says that Cambridge is being premature in this discussion and that nothing will be happening for at least 5 years.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/article ... ywhere-yet
DMighton

Post by DMighton »

The OHA is just afraid of scaring the OJHL like they did a few years ago initially with the unveiling of "Tomorrow's Game"... the Toronto boys enjoy their monopoly on Junior A (it's only natural)... the initial article says they plan to apply to the OJHL... they have every right to do that... whether it is tomorrow or 20 years from now... same as the OJHL has the right to reject them...

No matter what... if the OJHL doesn't get some teams in Southwestern Ontario and expand into a real talent zone... it will NEVER fully compete with the BCHL or AJHL. With 23 teams in the OJHL and 26 in the GOJHL... there are 49 teams of equal or similar caliber over too small of a zone... Take 16 teams from the OJHL and 8 from the GOJHL and call it Junior A... make the rest Junior B and the overlapping of the zones should naturally play themselves out -- especially if the OJHL uses the GOJHL as an affiliation system like it should. The GOJHL will help this by expanding East with a fourth conference.
GOJHLhockey

Post by GOJHLhockey »

I'm not sure how I feel about this. As a fan, the junior B Midwest is the level I find most exciting (I'm quite a ways from the Western Conference so I can't really comment there, but the Midwest has better depth and officiating than the Golden Horseshoe). I have tuned out the OHL because the emphasis has turned away from grit and passion and towards only elite offensive skill, and I find the games dull most nights. The OJHL, I found the games called tighter this year, and the playoff games I saw weren't any different from regular season in intensity. But the junior B Midwest playoffs have been extremely intense, physical, gritty, and passionate. I hate to end up seeing the top junior B clubs head to a duller league and leave a weaker junior B behind. It's hard to say where this goes, but I prefer seeing top teams and good games in packed houses in Cambridge, Elmira, Stratford, etc., than to have top games played in depressingly empty and quiet arenas like Herb Carnegie.