Sutherland Cup

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Maguire25

Sutherland Cup

Post by Maguire25 »

Looks like the lion was asleep last night.

5-0 Stoney Creek

Has Brantford been shut out at all this season?
midwest fan

Re: Sutherland Cup

Post by midwest fan »

That Stoney Creek team looks pretty solid. Where did they come from. I think their D is a lot better than Brants and the forwards match up well, maybe more depth but there top forwards are not as explosive.
LincBrass

Post by LincBrass »

midwest fan wrote:That Stoney Creek team looks pretty solid. Where did they come from.
Stoney Creek.
go west
Blades

Post by Blades »

LincBrass wrote:
midwest fan wrote:That Stoney Creek team looks pretty solid. Where did they come from.
Stoney Creek.
I was going to say through Wheatfield, Thorold and Niagara Falls :smt002
Volunteers built Noah's Ark, professionals built the Titanic
Maguire25

Post by Maguire25 »

Brantford must win in Sarnia, or their quest for the Sutherland Cup will be over.

Not sure what is going on with them, but they defintely did not look like the over-all regular season champs or the Cherry Cup Champs.

Wake up Brantford or you will be joining the rest of the Mid-West on the greens.
hawkeytalk

Post by hawkeytalk »

Well, well,well. Sorry to disappoint you all. The Eagles found a way to fight through a crippling flu bug, and a Zamboni malfunction marathon game, before dispatching the Warriors 4-2 on Saturday night in what was a prelude to the finals. Great game Saturday in a charged atmosphere. Hopefully the finals will be as entertaining. Good luck to both teams in their first trip to the "dance". :smt038
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

whose dissapointed? Stoney Creek should be dissapointed to let Brantford off the hook and have such a cake walk game. Come back when you compare apples to apples when SC has thier regular line up in then no one can say anything.
hawkeytalk

Post by hawkeytalk »

Who was missing from the Warriors lineup. The only guy sitting was #11. Eagles were missing #8.
Blades

Post by Blades »

hawkeytalk wrote:Who was missing from the Warriors lineup. The only guy sitting was #11. Eagles were missing #8.
SC played their backup tender and sat what most would concede is the best playoff goaltender (leads with lowest GAA and highest save %). If he was playing, it would more likely have been an SC win is what some are thinking, which would have meant a one game playoff between Sarnia and Brantford with a the possiblilty of Sarnia still getting into the finals. Sitting a hot tender (with the stats he has put up in the playoffs) just because you can, leads to speculation that SC didn't want to give Sarnia a chance to face them again. Why SC would rather face Brantford? A few suggestions I've read:
Shorter drive for both teams
Likely to get more fans at the games in both arenas = bigger gate revenue for both teams, after all you probably wouldn't get as many fans coming from Sarnia as you would from Brantford or SC
Some in the SC camp (fans? staff?) apparently don't like a few of Sarnia's fans (who by the way might upset a SC player and then that player might retaliate with a stick instead of words and then where would that put the SC player?) or their barn or their zamboni :lol: or their lack of having backup for everything that could go wrong/break in a game :mrgreen:
Think Sarnia's players are dirty and goons (which apparently starts with their coach), only out to injure not play hockey - as evidenced by all the penalties Sarnia took in the round robin games and how they were the 2nd most penalized team in the entire GOJHL. Who wants to play a team that might injure some of your players
Yep, if SC did "throw" the game they had good reason to do it and their coach did the right thing - at least according to some SC fans.
hockey_girl

Post by hockey_girl »

Blades wrote:
hawkeytalk wrote:Who was missing from the Warriors lineup. The only guy sitting was #11. Eagles were missing #8.
SC played their backup tender and sat what most would concede is the best playoff goaltender (leads with lowest GAA and highest save %). If he was playing, it would more likely have been an SC win is what some are thinking, which would have meant a one game playoff between Sarnia and Brantford with a the possiblilty of Sarnia still getting into the finals. Sitting a hot tender (with the stats he has put up in the playoffs) just because you can, leads to speculation that SC didn't want to give Sarnia a chance to face them again. Why SC would rather face Brantford? A few suggestions I've read:
Likely to get more fans at the games in both arenas = bigger gate revenue for both teams, after all you probably wouldn't get as many fans coming from Sarnia as you would from Brantford or SC
Some in the SC camp (fans? staff?) apparently don't like a few of Sarnia's fans (who by the way might upset a SC player and then that player might retaliate with a stick instead of words and then where would that put the SC player?) or their barn or their zamboni :lol: or their lack of having backup for everything that could go wrong/break in a game :mrgreen:
Think Sarnia's players are dirty and goons (which apparently starts with their coach), only out to injure not play hockey - as evidenced by all the penalties Sarnia took in the round robin games and how they were the 2nd most penalized team in the entire GOJHL. Who wants to play a team that might injure some of your players
Yep, if SC did "throw" the game they had good reason to do it and their coach did the right thing - at least according to some SC fans.
Why wouldn't SC throw the game?! They were in a position to have the choice and they took it! I don't blame them one bit! Obvisouly they took all things into consideration and figured that Brantford was the team they wanted to meet.
SC deserved to pick...hell they won all their games took first seat overall and found themselves in a position that they could practically choose their match so why not!
Blades

Post by Blades »

hockey_girl wrote:
Blades wrote:
Why wouldn't SC throw the game?! They were in a position to have the choice and they took it! I don't blame them one bit! Obvisouly they took all things into consideration and figured that Brantford was the team they wanted to meet.
SC deserved to pick...hell they won all their games took first seat overall and found themselves in a position that they could practically choose their match so why not!
Actually SC only won 3 of the 4 since they lost that 4th one to Brantford; got first seed in the standings while the Golden Eagles finshed with a 2-2 record.
Throwing a game can come back and bite you as history has shown. For their sakes, SC better hope that they haven't allowed Brantford to "wake up", Brantford had a better regular record than did SC and a good playoff season. Giving a team a whiff of hope can do a lot for the morale of a team. It could prove to be interesting watching these two battle it out.
Brantford in regular season went 22-2-3 at home and 20-5-1 away. Playoffs their record was 8-0 at home and 4-2 away. In RR, 0-2 at home and 2-0 away.
SC in the regular seasons went 19-6-1 at home and 16-9-1 away. Playoffs their record was 6-3 at home and 6-1 away. In RR went 1-1 at home, 2-0 away.
The Masked Grappler

Post by The Masked Grappler »

That sounds like a long list of excuses, the bottom line is we had a chance to move on by winning and couldn't get it done. Blaming others for that is kind of pointless as we wouldn't have been in a position to need help if we would have just won the game ourselves.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

You never know, this could work out for the Creek. The Knights pulled up Brantford's goalie for their game in London last night. I saw the highlights, and of course you only see what they want you to see, but some of those 5 goals were pretty weak, especially the OT GWG.

Now, since the Suthie finals aren't starting until Thursday, the Knights could still take Borden with them tomorrow night to Windsor as well, and play him. If the same results happen, this could work out in Creek's favour. It could shake Borden's confidence a little and down goes Brantford.

Now, before you all jump on my back, this is all speculation. I don't know what Borden's like as a goalie. But I do know that Torrin was called up to the Knights earlier this year and got lit up, and he never recovered from it. It shook his confidence as a goal tender so much that he couldn't perform for the Nats the same as before.

Now, all I hear is that Stoney Creek wanted to play Brantford and that they didn't want to play Sarnia for whatever reason. But I have yet to see any posts from the Sarnia fans congratulating your team on the job well done for the season. Trust me, no one expected them to finish in the top half, let alone first in our conference, and win our conference this year, especially without Johnny Faulkner. Maybe instead of nit-picking on whether or not Stoney Creek threw the game, you should congratulate your boys on the season they had.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
The Masked Grappler

No doubt, I haven't said it on here, but I've told some of them in person, they know. They gave us an amazing season and there's nothing to be ashamed of or bummed out over. Yeah it sucks that we didn't make it to the finals, but a year from now nobody is going to remember that, we'll just remember how amazing the ride getting to this point was.
Blades

Post by Blades »

The Masked Grappler wrote:That sounds like a long list of excuses, the bottom line is we had a chance to move on by winning and couldn't get it done. Blaming others for that is kind of pointless as we wouldn't have been in a position to need help if we would have just won the game ourselves.
MG, my list wasn't excuses or blaming, it's just what I've read from posters who are either Brantford or SC fans on multiple forums. A question was asked as to who was sat in the game on Saturday. I answered it then added a bit more about why SC might have tried to throw the game based on what I've read around the internet. HG felt that SC should have done whatever benefitted them. I didn't disagree but wanted to point out some numbers on how it could be a very even series.
As for Sarnia not moving on, your assessment is totally correct. Sarnia didn't get it done when they could have, props to Brantford who did on Thursday night and then again on Saturday.

RG, your absolutely correct about congratulating the boys from Sarnia. Others in the conference may not have thought they would have done as well as they did but the boys in the Legionnaire dressing room believed it from the get go. Bergie had his doubters but many (including me) felt he did his team proud. Thanks for getting the focus back on where it really should be.

Yep, many in Sarnia will remember the year the Legionnaires returned to the old barn in 08-09 and won a conference championship. My apologies for not celebrating it more here in the forum but it was celebrated much amongst family and friends.
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

better do as RG says
Blades

Post by Blades »

FiveHole wrote:better do as RG says
I did, did you :lol:
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

I had already wished them luck in the round robin so no I didnt do what she said
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

Eagles are up 2-0 in the series think stoney creek can dig them self's outta this whole?
Blades

Post by Blades »

It's 9:40 pm on Tuesday and the teams are going to OT.
Creek jumped out to a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes, then surrendered three goals in the second. Eagles gave up a late goal to SC who pulled their goalie for the extra attacker. Looks like the referees are allowing the players to play, very few penalties called.

So do the Warriors take a 3 game lead or will Brantford find a way to get a win and make it into more of a series?
ramrod

Post by ramrod »

Blades wrote:

So do the Warriors take a 3 game lead or will Brantford find a way to get a win and make it into more of a series?
Your all caught up in too many forums and " off hockey topics " after the Stoney Creek OT win the series is now 2-1 for Brantford
Blades

Post by Blades »

ramrod wrote:
Blades wrote:

Your all caught up in too many forums and " off hockey topics " after the Stoney Creek OT win the series is now 2-1 for Brantford
OK, my mistake, I had it reversed. However you can stop chewing on that bone of contention you seem to have about what I do with my time outside of this forum. :lol:
Blades

Post by Blades »

Game 4 is looking interesting.
SC got the early lead and then Brantford scores 4 in the second and 1 early in the third to lead 5-1 with the period half over.
I'm guessing the Brantford fans are a group of happy campers at this point with such a lead. A comeback by SC could happen I suppose - stranger things have happened but somehow I get the feeling the Warriors are going to go back home down 3-1 in games.
Oops, make that 6-1 with just over 9 minutes to go.
Anyone think Brantford will wrap this up in game five or will the Creek pull off some magic back home?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Looking back, may the Creek shoulda played their game for the last RR game, instead of resting some of their boys. This is what happens when you tempt fate.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

Give me break RG it doesnt matter who they play the eagles are going to win why make up excuses of why they are losing?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm not making excuses. I honestly could give 2 shits about who is winning in the series and who does win the Suthie. My boys aren't in it, so I really don't care. It's not hockey season anymore, it's baseball season. The only reason I keep posting is because there are no baseball forums for the leagues that I watch, nor do I want to create one, and you guys are still playing, so I'm throwin' my thoughts out there.

Like I said on the GHL forum, Stoney Creek decided to rest a few of their 'big guns' for their final RR game so that they were ready for the finals. In my opinion, that was a huge mistake. When you're winning, you do not change anything. You keep rolling with the same line up. Now, I'm not saying that if they had done that, they would be playing Sarnia or would be leading Brantford in this series. At this point, it's a 'What If' situation.

It's just the same with my car. IF at the time when I bought it, I had actually done a little more looking and went with a different car, I wouldn't be having the issues I'm having now with my car. I don't actually know that, I could still have the issues I'm having, just with a different car.
Queen of the GOJHL

EaglesRock

Post by EaglesRock »

Just in case you didn't know the Eagles won the Sutherland Cup. Sitting at a golf tourney and Rob Blake and Dwayne Roloson are here. How sweet is that. It should be another great season of Hockey. You got Waterloos 75th anniversary. No Owen Sound :( I can hardly wait till training camps and Exhibition Games. Have a great summer everyone and here's to the Mid-west ruling the GOJHL again!
The Masked Grappler

I had no idea.