Round One - Brantford vs Guelph

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

HockeyFan1111

Re: Round One - Brantford vs Guelph

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

snocain wrote: Players don't operate the way brantford does unless it's with the blessing of management.

This is very true. At this level of hockey, what ever happens above shows through in the conduct of the players. If the coaches are meatheads, the players are meatheads. The Mid-West needs to start reffing a little harder. Over the past few years, there has been a big difference between the Mid-West and West in the reffing. The West tends to call a tighter game where the Mid-West tends to "let them play the game" and not call the obstruction as much. If the reffing improved, a meathead team like Brantford would not be #1 because it's hard to win if you're always in the box.
muskoka

Post by muskoka »

Garbowsky wins Player of the Month

Matt recorded 25 points in 8 games in leading the Eagles to a 7-1 record for the month. Matt tallied 3 GWG, had 6 multi-point games and on 4 occasions scored 4 or more points during a game. Matt's tremendous month allowed him to secure the GOJHL scoring title.
Your right. This kid is a meathead. So is Al Szczechura. So is Chris Dunham. All 3 with 100 pt seasons.
Don't belittle their accomplishments.
Also keep in mind it takes 2 to tango. Guelph is not innocent in their behavior either. This was a nasty series. The scorers scored and the muckers mucked.
snocain

Post by snocain »

Not really muskoka, the scorers scored while goons interfered with the goalie enfettered by the officials. Have you noticed how alone you are in the defence of goon hockey? The leagues are civilized now, they win with speed and skill. Brant just does not fit into todays junior hockey and if they wanted to they would have to adjust everything about their organization, starting at the top and working down. Not likely going to happen.
panther692006

Post by panther692006 »

ref lost control in 1st period n never regain control cause all the cheap shots guelph did brantford said enough enough and stood up to them and win
The Masked Grappler

Post by The Masked Grappler »

Seems to me Brantford says enough is enough pretty much every game. At least the 4 or 5 I've seen them play this year.
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

Not sure if you guys are stupid or you just read brantford penalties but Guelph Brett Green got the same thing as mussleman plus green got a instigator come on give your head a shake
The Masked Grappler

Post by The Masked Grappler »

I can't comment on games I didn't see, only the few that I did.
Junior Fan

Post by Junior Fan »

Can someone explain how two players both got the same physical abuse of officials at the same time? That is amazing to me that both players were upset with an official that they had to physically abuse them. I can see one player, but not both. Were they just trying to get at eachother and the lineys (word?) just got in the way and the players were penalized for it. Is there anybody out there that can clarify what happened?
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

well i know the brantford gut pushed the official over but im not sure how the guelph guy got it personally i dont think he should of got one but like panther said the refs lost control of the game and had to regain it so it was just terrible the whole game
jr. b fan

Post by jr. b fan »

Jeez we get it . . . you guys lost to Brantford & you hate them, the refs and team management (did they cut your kids or do something to you personally cause you really like to keep bringing it up?)! You can't tell me that a coach has any real control over a teenage boy & his testosterone. Yes, I know all your arguments about that, but in the end it's the player who is responsible for his own actions. I'm sure he will pay the price for a very stupid move, just like the "management" is. Get over it already!
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

Thank you Jr.b fan i totally agree
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

and thats what happens when you load your team with 20 and 21 year old know it alls and hot heads. They have no respect for officiating or the game period
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

jr. b fan wrote: You can't tell me that a coach has any real control over a teenage boy & his testosterone.
There is truth to that. Ultimately, it is the player's choice to play stupid of play smart. I am not singling out one incident, but I do think that there is influence from management. If a coach is well disciplined, the kids tend to follow. If the coach/management shows disregard for the rules, and are hotheads, these kids follow. Kids that are 16-20 are easily influenced. These kids act the way they are taught.
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

Yes but at 18 your suppose to be an adult and act like one
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

You should act like an adult. But if all the adults (coaches and management) that are around you are acting like kids...
jr. b fan

Post by jr. b fan »

In a perfect world, yes it would be nice if all 18 year olds acted like adults. How they act as adults was decided as children & how they were raised BY THEIR PARENTS. Coaches only have them for 10 or so hours of the week in season. They have limited control over their behaviour especially when they are angry about something that happened on the ice. They have the ability to do something AFTER by benching them or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning this players actions, but I don't believe you should blame others for it. Responsibility ultimately belongs with the player.
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

I don't argue that point that the responsiblity is the players alone, but the coach does make a difference. Just look at the teams that have disciplined coaches and the ones that don't. With a coach that practices discipline, the players learn that discipline or they pay the consequences. Just as an example, if the coaches preach that the players shut up and go to the box when they have a penalty called against them, they will learn to do so, and tend not to get any "abuse of the officials" calls... Just a simple example.
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

HockeyFan1111 wrote:You should act like an adult. But if all the adults (coaches and management) that are around you are acting like kids...
So just cause the coaches and managers act like kids do you have to be one too? Be the better person and act like an adult its not a monkey see monkey do. Where does it say you have to follow the reasoning of a coach or management and if thats the way they want to operate tehir club then move on.
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

I'm not saying they have to follow the coach. I'm saying that in most cases, they DO follow the example of the coaches. These are still kids. Even a 20 year old adult hockey player, still acts like a kid. They still tend to have high testosterone and adrelalin running through them during the game. They will act like kids by nature when the coaches are acting like kids. It's not a concious descision by the players, it just happens. It takes a very mature 20 year old to, in the heat of the moment, act mature when their coach is not.
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

so different mentality from Jr A to Jr D?
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

FiveHole wrote:and thats what happens when you load your team with 20 and 21 year old know it alls and hot heads. They have no respect for officiating or the game period

I don't know what your talking about brantford only has like 5, 20 year olds once again get your facts straight
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

FiveHole wrote:so different mentality from Jr A to Jr D?
no, almost all guys age 16-20 are very similar mentally... I am thinking compared to the NHL where they are more likely 20-30...
jr. b fan

Post by jr. b fan »

From Stratford Beacon-Herald: "There have been numerous collisions between Leis and any number of Cullitons in their first four games, usually when Leis strays from his cage but sometimes when he's in his crease. Cullitons' captain Mitch Good did nothing to avoid bumping into Leis with under two minutes left last night, touching off a near melee at the Listowel net."

From cambridgetimes.ca: "The Winter Hawks bench went nuts, too, setting off a screaming match between head coach Greg Bignell and Guardiero."
LincBrass

Post by LincBrass »

jr. b fan wrote:From Stratford Beacon-Herald: "There have been numerous collisions between Leis and any number of Cullitons in their first four games, usually when Leis strays from his cage but sometimes when he's in his crease. Cullitons' captain Mitch Good did nothing to avoid bumping into Leis with under two minutes left last night, touching off a near melee at the Listowel net."

From cambridgetimes.ca: "The Winter Hawks bench went nuts, too, setting off a screaming match between head coach Greg Bignell and Guardiero."
I was there last night. The first time Leis got bumped, he embellished too much to get a call. Then 4 mins later when he got bumped, legit, Waye laughed at him, because of the first time.
Mitch Good is awesome. I love right handed forwards. He scored the best SH goal, I've seen in a few years last night, BUT. When you're the only player wearing a full cage, you can't start what he started last night, in an 8-4 game, with 2 minutes left. It was a good lil brawl. 2 fights, with punches of the haymaker variety going on. The linesmen were busy breaking up the non fights, and we all know refs don't do anything when this happens, so the one fight, was just a shitkicking right in front of Boyd. The penalties definitely didn't get called correctly after this, and the two teams are benefiting from a couple non suspensions.
go west
snocain

Post by snocain »

There should never have been a screaming match between bignell and guardiero. What the ref says without raising his voice should be as effective as a yelling match. He is in charge. As far as boys and brains go, at about 24 yrs boy brains get the insulation around the wiring that girls get at about 18 yrs. After that the crossfiring that results in temper tantrums and fights stops and the boy/player makes better decisions on and off the ice. Exept for todd bertuzi maybe.
snocain

Post by snocain »

I know, except not exept.
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

tinyman71 wrote:
FiveHole wrote:and thats what happens when you load your team with 20 and 21 year old know it alls and hot heads. They have no respect for officiating or the game period

I don't know what your talking about brantford only has like 5, 20 year olds once again get your facts straight
Thats probably 3 or 4 more then some clubs here in the west
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

It may be more than some, but it is also less than some. It goes in cycles. Some teams do load up with older players, some simply keep them these players from the start and end up having them as 20 year olds. In the west, Strathroy has 7 graduating players. Did they load up with older players? No, most have been on the team for more than just this season...
I don't know the case with this Brantford team. I suspect that these 5 were not all brought in during this season, or just in the off season to increase the team. Maybe 1 or 2? but not likely the whole team...
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

HockeyFan1111 wrote:It may be more than some, but it is also less than some. It goes in cycles. Some teams do load up with older players, some simply keep them these players from the start and end up having them as 20 year olds. In the west, Strathroy has 7 graduating players. Did they load up with older players? No, most have been on the team for more than just this season...
I don't know the case with this Brantford team. I suspect that these 5 were not all brought in during this season, or just in the off season to increase the team. Maybe 1 or 2? but not likely the whole team...

As well as logistics for kids to go to school...Chatham for example the next higher level of education (university) is Windsor or London so they would tend to haveolder kids there who would still want to play Jr B. Chatham would lose alot of older kids due to that fact and im sure in other centers as well
snocain

Post by snocain »

A few of brants players were hired, or need I say aquired last minute to make sure of the muscle. What is abundantly clear to the rest of the league is that these players answer to big m . The officials are just a nuisance to them. They refuse to go into the penalty box, they will not close a door, and if ejected they drag it out as long as possible before doing what they were told by the ref, true sportsman wouldn't you say? :oops: