League Awards

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

muskoka

League Awards

Post by muskoka »

Well the league banquet is coming up on the 21st in ESK. Any thoughts as to who gets what?
Eagles get the conference title. They get the GO title. Looks like top scorer unless Collizza or Virgo have huge weekends.
Top tender is a possibility as well.
There are a lot of deserving players this year.
My Picks
Defenceman is a toss up...Henriques Wat(quietly gone about his business)
MVP is a toss up...Good Stratty(meant the most to his team)
Defensive Player...should be Garbowsky Brant(very good in all zones)
Sportsmanship...too close to call Colizza or Garbowsky(great skill and no pims)
Rookie...should be Savelli Brant, likely Adair Stratty(Real good crop this year though)
Jaimeson...Webber Camb(nothing else to say)
Coach...Rex Brant(traditionally goes to top team)
tinyman71

Re: League Awards

Post by tinyman71 »

brantford will get the Jamison mike mckinley has been there for 6 years
panther692006

Post by panther692006 »

mvp probably be szezechura brant
scoring garbowsky brant
jamieson mckinley brant
rookie savelli brant
coach rex brant
adminstrator is a toss up between brant and waterloo
sportsmanship colizza cambridge
defenceman to hard to tell
thegreat1

Post by thegreat1 »

Well Homer, those are some interesting picks.
snocain

Post by snocain »

League banquet on the 21st?? I thought it was on the 23rd
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

nope it is tomorrow in Elmira dinner at 630 and awards at 7
Maguire25

And the winner is...

Post by Maguire25 »

Here are the winners:

MVP - Greg Virgo - Cambridge Winter Hawks
Scoring Champion - Matt Garbowsky - Brantford Golden Eagles
Best Defenseman Award - Tyler Edgerdee - Listowel Cyclones
Rookie of the Year - Cohen Adair - Stratford Cullitons
Best Team Goaltending Award - Colin Breen & Will Sibley Waterloo Siskins
Sportsmanship and Ability Award - Brent Freeman - Elmira Sugar Kings
Leroy Jamieson Outstanding Contribution to One Team - Josh Lies - Listowel Cyclones
Coach of the Year Award - Scott Rex - Brantford Golden Eagles
Administrators Award - Listowel Cyclones
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

Brantford got F*+#ed
muskoka

Post by muskoka »

Yep the Eagles got boned. What a farce last night was. How bad was it. Listowel dropped from 2nd to 4th from last year and got the Admin Award. Brant went from 5 to 1st, improving by 40+ points it wasn't enough to garner the award.
Sportsmanship to Freeman. JOKE!!!!!. The guy started his season with an M-21 for inciting and was the 2nd fight in a line brawl later in the year. Great choice people. You must be so proud.
Virgo MVP come on. Szczechura hands down. Best defense to Edergee. Solid d-man in his own right but not even in the same league as Ogilvie or Cowardine. Ogilvie led the league in goals, and points with Cowardine right behind yet it goes to a guy who was 10th in scoring, just in the midwest. Take that over to the GO and he was 22nd. Another outstanding selection.
Defensive Player,to Deckers ok can live with that one. Jaimeson to Leis, can see that one too.
Rookie to Adair. Had the opportunity to play 15+ games last season as an AP. Had a solid year but Gorz and Ranalli had better numbers and Gorz is critical to the Doms. Savelli in Brantford only won 24 games to lead the Midwest and lost only 2 in regulation but not good enough to get any hardware. A case could be made he played on the top team that scored him a lot of goals but he still kept them out of his net. His team spent a lot of time on the PK and he still put up the numbers.
Bottom line is the league embarrassed themselves last night. Too bad.
LincBrass

Post by LincBrass »

Maybe the Midwest league has something against natives too.
go west
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Brantford may have gone from 5th to 1st, but they also tampered with the cards.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Maguire25

Post by Maguire25 »

I think with the error Rizzo made, that pretty much took the team out of contention for the Adminstrators award.

Listowel would've needed to screw up pretty bad not to get the award this year seeing as the organization is celbrating its 30th anniversary

Not sure what happened with the rest of the awards.

Article in the Expositor: http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/Articl ... ?e=1448194
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

Could be a little thing called politics.... Yes, the Rizzo screw up screwed them over from the Administrators award, but it may have screwed them over for more than that. It's a simple concept. If you piss me off, I'm not going to vote for you for anything, regardless of whether you're deserving or not.
GoBlastGo

Post by GoBlastGo »

muskoka wrote: Best defense to Edergee. Solid d-man in his own right but not even in the same league as Ogilvie or Cowardine. Ogilvie led the league in goals, and points with Cowardine right behind yet it goes to a guy who was 10th in scoring, just in the midwest. Take that over to the GO and he was 22nd. Another outstanding selection.
So the the best DEFENSE should go to the D-man who scores the most points?
Go Legionnaires Go
muskoka

Post by muskoka »

No most points does not guarantee any award. I was remiss in suggesting that was the only criteria. Ogilvie led in points, but he also played against the opposition's top line every night, logged pp time and pk time on a regular basis. He also averaged huge game minutes and on a thin blueline for the Eagles he was the man.
Just A Fan

Post by Just A Fan »

The arguments you make for the Brantford Defense could be the same argument that is used for Egerdee on Listowel who plays on a team that scores fewer goals. He logs a ton of ice, plays in all situations and plays against the oppositions best lines.

Voting is always a controversial thing. Especially when it involves a team that is as deep and as talented as Brantford. You take a player out of their lineup for an extended period of time with an injury and they kept winning. If you were to take a player for that length of time out of any other team in the league they would have dropped in the standings. Looking at the nominees there were some tough choices and people are always going to wonder why their team, the team that they see every day, didn't have more votes. Similar to how some teams just have another teams number regardless of where they are in the standings. Perhaps those players that you see every day struggle against a particular team and don't do well where as another player on another team does. I'm not saying it is right or wrong but teams may vote on players on how that particular players play against them only. Teams may also put players in categories where perhaps they don't belong but have a better chance of winning that particular award.

Bottom line there are a lot of talented players in this division and it doesn't matter who won the award or not there would be people questioning it like they do every year.
Just a Hockey Fan

Post by Just a Hockey Fan »

I guess that there are people out there that wouldn't be happy unless the Eagles walked away with all the awards the other night. There's a tremendous amount of talented kids in the leaque besides Brantford.
snocain

Post by snocain »

Brantford as a fan put it to me plays an"in your face game". They play a game that appears to be and is dirty from beginning to end, and they get away with much of it. Hence they play hockey like their administrators do their work. Their" any behavior is acceptable as long as we get away with it" attitude flows from the top to the bottom and the result is an organisation that is unpopular even when they are leading the pack. The apparent snubbing of brant talent at the awards proved that point.
tinyman71

Post by tinyman71 »

give me a break snocain brantford is not dirty and if you dont remember the eagles were the most penalized team in the mid west get your facts straight re***d
Just A Fan

Post by Just A Fan »

When will Brantford stop complaining about the awards? I see that the Brantford paper put another article in complaining about Brantford getting snubbed and robbed. The article was also in accurate stating that each team only received 1 vote.

Each team nominates a player from their team for each award. When all of the teams have nominated their players the league sends the list to the team contact. Each team then makes 3 votes on each award on a point system 5 pts to the first selection 3 to the second and 1 to the third selection. You cannot vote on your own players.

The league doesn't have 5 people that follow every team and every game to make these selections so right or wrong this is the only way to do it. Get over it. There are complaints every year on somebody getting robbed. Go back through the history of the league and you'll find very rarely that the #1 team in the league had a player named MVP. The only 2 in recent history were Dan Morrison Elmira and Kyle Helms in Cambridge. There was no questioning those selections.

Awards are always controversial. Everyone bases them on points when that isn't really the only indication of the player worthy. Get over it and lets just let the games in the playoffs determine who is best. Brantford certainly made a statement in their game....on both a negative and positive note....they played strong yet I don't understand why a team that is up 15 goals needs to receive an inciting penalty.
panther692006

Post by panther692006 »

brantford give puck over every year by ref awards by oha who cares they just add more fuel to fire
thegreat1

Post by thegreat1 »

Could someone translate?
snocain

Post by snocain »

Hmmm,, me no like results. is my take on it.
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

panther692006 wrote:brantford give puck over every year by ref awards by oha who cares they just add more fuel to fire
I'll give an attempt at translation... a few commas and periods should help...

Brantford gets F over every year, by the refs, awards by the oha... Who cares, it all just adds more fuel to the fire.

(I think that was what he was trying to say)
panther692006

Post by panther692006 »

ya