Brantford

A place to discuss what's happening to those teams in the MidWest Conference for those who ARE interested.

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Re: Brantford

Post by RocketGirl »

Technically, you said maybe, I said most definitely. But I'm willing to compromise and say we told you he'd be out for next year too.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Chemo

Post by Chemo »

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/Articl ... ?e=1402771

Golden Eagles owner lashes out at OHA
Brantford GM Rizzetto suspended until end of next season, team fined $7,500, Prittie able to sign with another team
Posted By ED O'LEARY, EXPOSITOR STAFF

Golden Eagles' co-owners Jerry Montour and Ken Hill are planning legal action against the Ontario Hockey Association.
They are upset over the OHA's decision Friday to suspend Eagles' general manager Brian Rizzetto until the rest of this season and the next one. The junior B team also is fined $7,500.
"We'll definitely be responding in a legal perspective," Montour said late Friday afternoon. "No doubt about it. Our attorneys are already on it and I believe the prejudice goes beyond Mr. Rizzetto. It is directed at the ownership of the team."
Montour and Hill live on Six Nations.

Asked if he was saying the OHA is prejudice against natives, Montour answered: "I'll let the lawsuit speak for itself."

The Golden Eagles are in first place in the Midwestern Conference of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.
Rizzetto was suspended and the Eagles fined because the Golden Eagles registered defenceman Justin Prittie with the OHA at the beginning of the season as having a Brantford address when, in fact, Prittie was residing in Waterloo.
Rizzetto and Prittie attended a hearing at the OHA offices in Cambridge on Thursday night.
"The information submitted on Justin's registration card was improper and the general manager is responsible for that," OHA president Brent Ladds said in a telephone interview Friday night.
"It was further complicated by virtue of the fact it provided the Brantford club the opportunity to register an additional import (player) which would have taken them over the limit for imports."
Prittie had been registered as a non-import player but once he was registered with his proper address he became an import player as far as the Golden Eagles were concerned.
Ladds noted that Prittie then became the Golden Eagles' last "redesignated" player. Since Brantford had one import over the limit with him on the roster, Prittie had to be released.
Prittie is now eligible to sign with any team other than the Golden Eagles.

Ladds didn't believe the length of Rizzetto's suspension was out of the ordinary.
"Generally speaking when there's false information on a card, the suspension normally runs around a year," Ladds said. "Hockey Canada regulations provide that it could be up to three years."
Ladds indicated that Rizzetto's spotless record up to now was in his favour.
"It may have been taken into consideration when he didn't get the maximum penalty."

Rizzetto and Prittie had been under suspension for close to two weeks while they waited for an OHA hearing.
Rizzetto of the OHA's decision during a phone call Friday morning. Rizzetto still hadn't received an official written document of the rulings by the OHA as of late Friday afternoon.
Montour was furious with the OHA's decisions, especially the suspension of Rizzetto until the conclusion of next season.
"I don't want the league for a second to think that we're going to allow Mr. Rizzetto to be thrown under a bus," declared Montour.
He noted that Rizzetto's record during 12 years as a minor hockey executive and six years with the Golden Eagles was blemish free.
"He's been a man. He's stood up and explained the circumstances and I believe to this day many young athletes are on a much better path to their future because of Mr. Rizzetto.
"He judges each athlete on the talent he sees whether the young man is playing high school or the OHL."
Prittie is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo.
Rizzetto was under the impression that Prittie was attending Laurier Brantford when the Eagles' season began.
He discovered about 10 games into the season that Prittie was actually attending Laurier's Waterloo campus.
Rizzetto believed the OHA had discovered the address mistake when it had his address down as Waterdown, which is where he resided two years ago when he played tier II for Burlington.
He admitted that he didn't do his homework properly and Prittie was never declared as an import player by the Golden Eagles.
"I asked for it to be settled quickly which it was and I asked them to reinstate the boy (Prittie) which they did," said Rizzetto.
"That was the most important thing for me. I wanted to make sure the boy could get back playing hockey. It's not what he wants. He wants to play for the Eagles but that's the best I could get done."
Rizzetto was asked about his conversation with Ladds.
"He (Ladds) basically said the rules are the rules and when I found out that the boy was not Laurier Brantford, I made no attempt to call the office," Rizzetto said.
"I have to be responsible for getting the correct address on the card.
"There were some good things that came out of this. We never played with more than our allotted number of imports, so they're not taking any games away from the boys."

Montour also blasted "other teams" in the Midwestern Conference for ganging up on the Golden Eagles at the Jan. 10 trade deadline.
"The other teams are trading as many as two or three players amongst themselves just to see Brantford not succeed," charged Montour.
He was referring to the Waterloo Siskins, in third place at the time, sending high-scoring Justin Knee and defenceman Travis Witt to the second-place Kitchener Dutchmen.

Knee, an affiliate player with the Siskins, is actually signed to a card with the Paris Mounties junior C hockey team.
Matt Dickens, who is also with the Dutchmen, started the season with Pickering in the Ontario Junior Hockey League (tier II) but recently signed with the Mounties, a Kitchener affiliate, and is now playing with the Dutchmen.
"Regardless of the outcome of the season, this will be our best season ever," said Montour.
"There has been a strong, moral fibre to this team. We have excellent coaching and we have a united dressing room.
"We also have amazing scholarship opportunities coming for these young Brantford men. The list is endless.
"The Brantford talent is here along with young athletes from Six Nations, who have played side-by-side with them. The ownership has never been prouder."
bobby baun

Post by bobby baun »

All this response from the owners is retoric!
How did the GM come up with an address in Brantford for the kid?
Even if he did live in Brantford this school year, he would still be an import as he is actually a resident of Waterdown.

Just moving into a centre does not make you a local player.
Example: if every kid that moved into London to go to Western or Fanshaw was declared a non import to the Nationals, or Rockets or Stars etc.

My understanding is that your home address is always used on your card.

Bobby Baun #21 Leafs '67, anyone remember?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

They're honestly accusing the OHA of being prejudice against Natives. How would they even come up with that? Just because they suspended their GM doesn't make them prejudice against the owners for being Native. That would not be politically correct and I'm pretty sure the OHA is politically correct.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Chemo

Post by Chemo »

RocketGirl wrote:They're honestly accusing the OHA of being prejudice against Natives. How would they even come up with that? Just because they suspended their GM doesn't make them prejudice against the owners for being Native. That would not be politically correct and I'm pretty sure the OHA is politically correct.

its an easy way out to deflect any wrong doing of their club,when in doubt,play the race card and maybe ppl will feel sorry for you???
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

Well now the question is, what happens with Prittie? With him able to sign with another team other than Brantford, is there a team that will pick him up, or is there a team that should pick him up?
panther692006

Post by panther692006 »

he sign with waterloo played last night against owen sound
muskoka

Post by muskoka »

Just curious as to how Prittie can sign in Waterloo on a local card when the OHA previously determined he was a Waterdown resident. Does going to school in a region make you a local resident when it's not your full time home? If that's the case it clearly puts the teams with post secondary education at a distinct advantage over teams that don't have any. Does living in residence count if you are in your 2nd year? No wonder Owen Sound can't keep anybody. No body moves in their zone to fish.
FiveHole

Post by FiveHole »

unreal so totally uncalled for now that they got caught they are playing a race card??????? if the hockey glove fits you must not aquit get a life pay your fine and move on
snocain

Post by snocain »

Being the dumb guy that I am I'm unable to understand why prittie can sign with another team but not brantford. He had to be as aware of the circumstances as anybody else involved and thus ought to be held responsible for his involvement. At what age or level do the players get to take a share of the blame?
bobby baun

Post by bobby baun »

Prettie was able to sign in Waterloo as an import as they had a card available.
The whole issue with Brantford was that they ran out of cards.
HockeyFan1111

Post by HockeyFan1111 »

I think snocain's comment was more about how does the player not accept any responsibility and share some blame. I agree, most of the blame should be on the GM or the team, but he can not be completely naive to the fact that his address was listed wrong. You would think that there was, at least once, a question from the GM, "Hey, what's your address?" and such. Snocain eluded to the fact that this is not kindergarden where just the teacher does the paperwork. These kids are old enough to be in the know and do share some responsibilities.
muskoka

Post by muskoka »

bobby baun wrote:Prettie was able to sign in Waterloo as an import as they had a card available.
The whole issue with Brantford was that they ran out of cards.
Hey check the Siskins roster. They had used 9 prior to signing Prittie?