GMHL entry draft coming up on May 15th

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

Port hockey1

GMHL entry draft coming up on May 15th

Post by Port hockey1 »

The GMHL entry draft for next season will be held on May the 15th. I'm not sure exactly how it works and who's eligible.

http://gmhl.net/component/content/artic ... gistration
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Canuckalhead

Re: GMHL entry draft coming up on May 15th

Post by Canuckalhead »

Open to anyone who will pay $10,000.00+ to play hockey.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote:Open to anyone who will pay $10,000.00+ to play hockey.
I was told ex Jr.B players are eligible for the draft... That makes little sense as teams have already been signing 21 year olds for next season. Why have the draft if players are free to sign where they please?

I've also been told that some of the higher caliber players don't have to pay those crazy fees. Been told some of them play for a few hundred dollars, if that. The big money comes from the imports that come from Russia, Sweden, etc.

Apparently some teams require everyone to pay the fee, but others are willing to help talented kids out. That whole part of the league looks to be in need of a big overhaul.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

Teams may sign any players they want before the draft and that protects them from going to any other teams. They may also sign them to a "tender" which protects them through the draft until July 1st. If they are not signed by then, they can go to other team that they want. The league charges $300.00 for each card signed and $150.00 for each tender signed. If you sign 30 players as well as tender a few players, that's a $10,000.00 cash grab for the league right off the bat. It is those fees that are driving teams out of the league as they cannot be financially stable. As for the players coming out of the OJHL and Jr. B, they don't pay a dime and in some cases they are getting paid. They will all get gloves, helmets and sticks which the other players have to pay for. Just do the math; if your budget is $170,000.00 (which is probably average for that league), then you have to sign 17 players at $10,000.00 to break even and that will allow you to bring in 8 or 9, 21 year olds for free. Teams are allowed to carry 15, 20 and 21 year olds. If you bring in 15 like your team in Port Colborne did last year, then there was no way the owner broke even. The downside of all that is the older guys get to play and all the younger ones who paid the big bucks either sit on the bench or in the stands.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote:Teams may sign any players they want before the draft and that protects them from going to any other teams. They may also sign them to a "tender" which protects them through the draft until July 1st. If they are not signed by then, they can go to other team that they want. The league charges $300.00 for each card signed and $150.00 for each tender signed. If you sign 30 players as well as tender a few players, that's a $10,000.00 cash grab for the league right off the bat. It is those fees that are driving teams out of the league as they cannot be financially stable. As for the players coming out of the OJHL and Jr. B, they don't pay a dime and in some cases they are getting paid. They will all get gloves, helmets and sticks which the other players have to pay for. Just do the math; if your budget is $170,000.00 (which is probably average for that league), then you have to sign 17 players at $10,000.00 to break even and that will allow you to bring in 8 or 9, 21 year olds for free. Teams are allowed to carry 15, 20 and 21 year olds. If you bring in 15 like your team in Port Colborne did last year, then there was no way the owner broke even. The downside of all that is the older guys get to play and all the younger ones who paid the big bucks either sit on the bench or in the stands.
Thanks for the post, always interested in learning more about the league.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I am neither a proponent or opponent for this league.

Junior teams in the OHA used to do the same with 15 year-olds back in the day. The would sign and sit in the stands which is equivalent to zero development.

I remember waaaay back when the Provincial Junior loop would always laugh that the GMHL was a pay-to-play league. Now look at where we are? The OJHL is a pay-to-play league and they now also run a summer "development" league where the charges are anywhere from $3500 to $5000 all in the name of the extra "exposure" granted to kids. Equation....GIGANTIC cash grab!

No idea what the talent of the GMHL is as I have never watched a game. But I will say this...they continue to hang around!!
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

FrozenPonds wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 12:50 pm I am neither a proponent or opponent for this league.

Junior teams in the OHA used to do the same with 15 year-olds back in the day. The would sign and sit in the stands which is equivalent to zero development.

I remember waaaay back when the Provincial Junior loop would always laugh that the GMHL was a pay-to-play league. Now look at where we are? The OJHL is a pay-to-play league and they now also run a summer "development" league where the charges are anywhere from $3500 to $5000 all in the name of the extra "exposure" granted to kids. Equation....GIGANTIC cash grab!

No idea what the talent of the GMHL is as I have never watched a game. But I will say this...they continue to hang around!!
Quality is different from team to team. The top teams could play in the GOJHL and be fine, however 75%+ of the league is worse than Jr. C quality.