Alvinston Moving to Petrolia

Moderators: RocketGirl, Blades

RocketGirl

Alvinston Moving to Petrolia

Post by RocketGirl »

Article from the Sarnia Observer that the OHA has approved the move of the Flyers to Petrolia. The Township of Brooke-Alvinston has appealed the OHA's decision.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2016/04/21/oh ... -alvinston
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Re: Alvinston Moving to Petrolia

Post by Port hockey1 »

I thought they already tried Jr. hockey in Petrolia... I think they had a pretty good Jr.B team at one point. What happened there?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

They're now the Lambton Shores Predators.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.theobserver.ca/2016/04/21/oh ... o-petrolia

Just a few years short of 30 years shame.
There's always the GMHL or the Canadian Premier JR Hockey League.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I saw this posted on their Facebook page last night.

On behalf of the Board of Directors of the Flyers I am proud to announce that the Ontario Hockey Association has approved the relocation of the team to Petrolia. We will now be known as the Petrolia Flyers, our new logo will incorporate our famous Condor, recognize the Jr Hockey legacy of Petrolia and pay homage to our beginnings and successful years in Alvinston.

Emotionally this was a very difficult decision to make; all Flyers have fond memories of the times spent in Alvinston, both on the ice and off. From a competitive and business perspective we feel that relocating to Petrolia is necessary to keep pace with the rest of the league. I want to assure everybody that this decision was not taken lightly and was not made in haste.

We understood that some of our fans and sponsors would not be happy with this decision but we hope that someday they will understand that to keep the Flyers franchise alive we did what we needed to do. We also understand that not everybody in Petrolia will be happy that we are coming, let me assure you that the Flyers will do whatever we can to become a part of your community so that we can all benefit from this endeavour.

The Flyers hope to develop a mutual beneficial relationship with Petrolia Minor Hockey and will strive to maintain our current relationship with the East Lambton Minor Hockey Association.

I would like to thank the Mayor of Brooke-Alvinston; Don McGugan for his never ending support of the Flyers throughout the years and throughout the relocating process.

I would also like to thank Petrolia’s Mayor John McCharles, CAO Manny Barron, Director of Facilities and Community Services Dave Menzies as well as Petrolia Minor Hockey President Nick Salaris for their support of the Flyers.

The Flyers are looking forward to what lies ahead.

Dennis Meston
President and General Manager
Petrolia Flyers
Queen of the GOJHL