essex wins this league
tendee

Re: Great Lakes JR - C

Post by tendee »

and Blenheim goes down tonight
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Essex vs Amherstburg in final (I was hoping for the Blades)
Essex won 3 games to 2 regular season
But Essex with the best goaltender, PP, and PK
8 playoff games 6 GA
Essex 5 games
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

tendee wrote:and Blenheim goes down tonight
Blades ousted in semifinals

AMHERSTBURG – The Blenheim Blades' season ended Thursday with a 4-1 loss to the Amherstburg Admirals.

It's the second straight year the Admirals ousted the Blades in a six-game semifinal in the Great Lakes Junior 'C' Hockey League.

Brendan Ritchie of the Blades scored on a power play at 15:29 of the first period for a 1-1 tie before 801 fans at the Libro Centre.

Luke Gangnon restored the Admirals' lead on a power play at 12:07 of the second period with his second goal of the game.

Caleb Paquette added two goals, including an empty-netter, in the final eight minutes.

Blades goalie Eric Stewardson stopped 30 of 33 shots before Klinton Kenney came in to make five saves. Connor Meyerink of the Admirals made 40 saves.

The second-seeded Blades finished with a 1-5 road record in the playoffs. They were aiming for the first championship in the history of the franchise, which celebrated its 50th anniversary this season.

The third-seeded Admirals will face the top-seeded Essex 73's in the final.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Wallaceburg Lakers get new GM.
Lots of work to do here, 5 years no playoffs

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/03/ ... al-manager
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

The Admirals and 73’s will meet in the Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League final for the second-straight season. The best-of-seven series gets underway Tuesday in Essex where the 73’s will be gunning for their fifth-straight league title.

“Essex has that whole thing around them,” said Admirals defenceman Curtis Prymack, who won a title playing for the 73’s in 2012-13. “They’re the big dog in the schoolyard and everyone else is there to give them a run. This year, I feel we’re just as good, if not better, and we’re coming for them.”

Amherstburg was the only team to take a league playoff game last season against the 73’s. The Admirals extended the series to six games, but still lament Game 1 of the series that saw Amherstburg’s two-goal lead after two periods turned into a 9-6 loss when Essex scored five-unanswered goals in the third period.

“You have to find a way to win one there (in Essex),” Admirals head coach Paul Bortignon said. “If can do it early, you can get more momentum, but whether it’s (Game) one, three, five or seven, you have to find a way to win. You’ve got a chance to change the landscape of this league if you can get a win.”

73’s head coach Gil Langlois has never been one to underestimate an opponent and he’s not this time around with the Admirals.

“It’s all what have you done for me lately,” Langlois said. “ I know everyone wants to make this sound like it’s David versus Goliath, but it’s not at all. These are two closely matched team.”

And the 73’s head into the series with a few injury concerns.

Defenceman Brendan McGhee, who has junior B experience, has been sidelined for the entire playoffs and no date has been set for his return. On top of that, the 73s lost Michael Vieira, who led the team in scoring in the regular season, and forward Dalton Langlois, who also has junior B experience, in the last round of the playoffs.

“We’re a little banged up,” Langlois said. “Some long-term injuries to key players, but it is what it is. I like to think our experience will get us through.”

Bortignon is also hoping some experience will factor into this series for his club as well.

“I think we’re a little more excited to get another opportunity at it,” Bortignon said. “I think, for us, it’s the experience. Not just from a player perspective, but in coaching experience.

“Prymack and (former goalie Arren) Romerill were the only guys that had been to a championship (last season). For us, as coaches, we went in kind of wide eye. As a staff, we’re a little more relaxed and focused on game plans than keeping guys mentally focused. Guys this year are more relaxed. They believe they belong this year, which is a big bonus.”

But the defending All-Ontario champion 73’s have been nearly invincible in the playoffs to date.

Essex has allowed just six goals in eight playoff games while averaging nearly six goals per game.

“Whenever you face (73’s goalie Trevor) Wheaton, it’s tough to say they’re not the favourite,” Bortignon said. “Their goaltending is as good as it’s going to be at this level. Up front, they’re still going to come four lines for 60 minutes.”

Prymack said it all comes down to being willing to work and putting in a full game.

“Whoever plays the hardest will win the series,” Prymack said. “They’re a great team, but I think if we all show up and come to play that we put ourselves in a great spot.”

WHO: No. 1 Essex 73’s (34-2-1-2, 8-0-0) vs. No. 3 Amherstburg Admirals (24-12-3-1, 8-2-0)
WHAT: Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League final
FORMAT: Best-of-seven series
SEASON SERIES: Essex won three-of-five regular-season meetings
ESSEX HOME GAMES: Game 1 is Tuesday at the Essex Centre Sports Complex at 7 p.m., Game 3 is Saturday at 7 p.m., Game 5 is March 15th at 7 p.m. (if necessary) and Game 7 is March 20th at 2:30 p.m. (if necessary).
AMHERSTBURG HOME GAMES: Game 2 is Thursday at the Libro Centre at 7 p.m., Game 4 is Sunday at 7 p.m. and Game 6 is March 18th at 7:30 p.m. (if necessary).
TICKETS: Prices set by the league at both rinks are $11 adults (age 18-54), $8 seniors (55 and over), $8 students (age 13-17 with ID), $6 for youths (age 6-12) and free for children five and under.

jpparker@postmedia.com

twitter.com/winstarparker

Windsor Star
End of a era in Leamington
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I really think Essex sweeps them. The scores might be close, but I think it will be over in 4 games. Essex is just too deep.

I noticed the one Jr.C league has had several big upsets. I believe the 7th seed is playing Alliston in the league finals right now.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Essex won 5-2 to take a 1-0 lead in the series
Amherstburg went zero for 6 on the PP.
Special teams means so much in play off hockey

http://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/lo ... ven-series
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Essex goaltender Trevor Wheaton has received a 4 game suspension. Big loss for Essex.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I see he got the match in Game 3, but according to PS, he played Game 4. Was this something just added in the last day? I'd think, with Essex's win, if Wheaton played, Amherstburg would be in a protest position and Game 4 would be wiped out.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

flyers2011 wrote:Essex goaltender Trevor Wheaton has received a 4 game suspension. Big loss for Essex.
Ouch!!! I think that series is over now! :smt020 :smt035
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
tendee

Post by tendee »

Essex up 3-2
flyers2011

Post by flyers2011 »

Admirals win in OT, Game 7 Sunday in Essex
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Amherstburg wins in overtime on a PP goal
To force a game 7
Essex outshot them 45-27
You never know.I hope the Admirals aren't just happy taking them to 7
Go for it and get the big upset
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Go Admirals!!!! :D :D :D
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Essex wins 5-4. Best of luck to them, but I'll be pulling for the SOJHL series winner. :wink:
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

McNear leaves Blades

Blenheim Blades head coach Bob McNear has stepped down after leading them to three straight semifinal berths in the Great Lakes Junior C Hockey League.

He also guided the Blades to five consecutive winning seasons.

“I would like to thank Bob for his time with the Blades,” team president Matt Frain said. “He is a true Blade in every aspect with the club and has done a wonderful job guiding the team to some great success the last few years.”

McNear is a Blenheim native who played for the Blades before serving three stints as head coach and another as co-coach. He resigned after the 2014-15 campaign before quickly opting to stay for one more season.

He wants to coach his son's minor hockey team next season.

“I knew at the beginning of the season, it was going to be it for me,” McNear said to the Blenheim News Tribune. “It’s not that I don’t want to be coach of the Blades and be around those kids ... because I love those boys.

“But where I’m at with my family and in my life, I have to do it now. … More than anything, I need time to breathe and focus on my family.”

The Blades have not chosen a replacement.