St.Catharines vs Ancaster thread

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

St.Catharines vs Ancaster thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

It's been pointed out that the Falcons struggled at times this season. But that's been a trend with them the last few years, and has never really happened to them in the playoffs though. They had no problem with Pelham in the first round. Keep in mind Pelham played them close in the regular season. So I expect them to look really good in this series.

Ancaster had a better season than I had expected. Early on it was Van Loon putting up goals, then they started to get scoring from everyone as the season progressed. But one thing they've gotten all season is great goaltending. With their speed and goaltending, I expect them to make this a very close series. There will probably be a lot of OT.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Re: St.Catharines vs Ancaster thread

Post by Port hockey1 »

Ancaster - Ryan Dugas - (Physical Abuse of Off.) (Game Ejection) (GE25), 0 MIN, 3:53

Looks like Ancaster's season is probably over. Their goalie is likely gone for the series. Looks like Ancaster dominated the 3rd period tonight, but still lost 4-3.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Dugas, Ryan (G) placed on league suspension for minimum 2 games

Only 2 games, he got lucky.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Ancaster with a big 5-1 win tonight. Looks like they were underestimated by a lot of people.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Not by me! Ancaster played the Falcons tough all season just like St. Catharines was the only team that gave the Corvairs fits all year. For that reason I am hoping that the Falcons can pull it off as it should make for a much better final. It does not look like Niagara Falls will be around much longer so it is almost a given that Caledonia will be there.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Port hockey1 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 pm Dugas, Ryan (G) placed on league suspension for minimum 2 games

Only 2 games, he got lucky.
Minimum 2 games. Could change to more. Would assume Ancaster is appealing
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

What did Dugas do?
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/sports-sto ... ame-2-win/

St Catharines is build to play Caledonia. There big defence have been a problem for Caledonia.
But not to Ancaster they use there speed on St Kitts defence either on the rush or dump ins.
Smilsky and Davies have to play better they never showed up in game two. St Kitts is lucky there not two games down
being out shot 20 - 3 in the third on home ice that's embarrassing.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Cal 99ers wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:13 pm What did Dugas do?
Apparently he shot the puck at or towards Kindree after one of the Falcons goals in game 1.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Looks like its now officially 2 games for Dugas so he can return for game 4
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Van Loon with 9 seconds left in the 3rd OT ties up the series for Ancaster. For being invisible in the series vs Welland he has come alive so far in this series. Friday night should be another good one.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

I have not been watching much Junior B this year but was able to watch the Ancaster/ St Catherines game last night. Other than Savory's goaltending, I am not sure how the Falcons have won two games. Again other than the goaltending this team seems to have declined quite a bit from the past few years when they could skate with anyone. They still have a player named Smilsky on the team. Is this the younger brother? This can't be the same Smilsky that played so well last year. A couple of things that have remain the same for the Falcons -- total lack of discipline, a non-existant powerplay and acquiring overrated OHA castoffs that should dominate Junior B but don't. Mike Davies plays like he did for the Rangers- once in a while he shows reasons why he was a first round pick but then disappearing for the majority of the game.

How did Ancaster do against the Corvairs this year. Will that final be interesting at all ? Unless Savory stands on his head for the next couple of games, I can't see the Falcons winning this one. Ancaster may be smaller but is playing much tougher and smarter
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

oldtymer wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 am I have not been watching much Junior B this year but was able to watch the Ancaster/ St Catherines game last night. Other than Savory's goaltending, I am not sure how the Falcons have won two games. Again other than the goaltending this team seems to have declined quite a bit from the past few years when they could skate with anyone. They still have a player named Smilsky on the team. Is this the younger brother? This can't be the same Smilsky that played so well last year. A couple of things that have remain the same for the Falcons -- total lack of discipline, a non-existant powerplay and acquiring overrated OHA castoffs that should dominate Junior B but don't. Mike Davies plays like he did for the Rangers- once in a while he shows reasons why he was a first round pick but then disappearing for the majority of the game.

How did Ancaster do against the Corvairs this year. Will that final be interesting at all ? Unless Savory stands on his head for the next couple of games, I can't see the Falcons winning this one. Ancaster may be smaller but is playing much tougher and smarter
Same Smilsky. His brother did play on the team this year but they released him when they brought in some of the other guys. I think Ancaster only beat Caledonia 1 this year and it was in OT but every game was within 1 or 2.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like it was quite a game. The difference between St.Catharines and Caledonia is the Corvairs get a lot out of their top players, who are mostly ex chl players. The Falcons haven't gotten much out of the kids they've brought in from the chl. I'm not sure why, but its probably coaching. The Falcons have a really good group of players this year. They showed that when they defeated the Corvairs a few times this season.

Maybe they've simply looked past Ancaster... Because they have a lot better team than how they've played in this series.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Port hockey1 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:43 pm Looks like it was quite a game. The difference between St.Catharines and Caledonia is the Corvairs get a lot out of their top players, who are mostly ex chl players. The Falcons haven't gotten much out of the kids they've brought in from the chl. I'm not sure why, but its probably coaching. The Falcons have a really good group of players this year. They showed that when they defeated the Corvairs a few times this season.

Maybe they've simply looked past Ancaster... Because they have a lot better team than how they've played in this series.
Frank calls the shots behind the bench now. He has for a little while now. So I don't think its the coaching. But it might be the coaching for Ancaster thats better. He's got this team ready to play.
Ancaster have had St Kitts number all year. This is no big surprise that this is going 6 or 7.
St Kitts have had Caledonia's number all year. Everyone knows this. Let face it Ancaster is a very good team.
And number 21 for them could be one of the best 16 year olds to play in the GO. They got a good 15 year old also.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

oldtymer wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 am I have not been watching much Junior B this year but was able to watch the Ancaster/ St Catherines game last night. Other than Savory's goaltending, I am not sure how the Falcons have won two games. Again other than the goaltending this team seems to have declined quite a bit from the past few years when they could skate with anyone. They still have a player named Smilsky on the team. Is this the younger brother? This can't be the same Smilsky that played so well last year. A couple of things that have remain the same for the Falcons -- total lack of discipline, a non-existant powerplay and acquiring overrated OHA castoffs that should dominate Junior B but don't. Mike Davies plays like he did for the Rangers- once in a while he shows reasons why he was a first round pick but then disappearing for the majority of the game.

Smilsky only played the first and about have the second. After getting hit he never came back. Smilsky still a great player in this league. He's 8-3-9-12 in the playoffs so far. And 47-25-43-68 regular season.
Now its the best out of 3. Anything can happen but I think St Kitts still will win.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Biggest game of the season for both teams tonight. The pressure is on the Falcons, as they have a veteran team that's built for a cup run. Ancaster has a very young & speedy team. They also have a reputation as a very hard working team.

Tonight will likely be the Dugas & Savory show. The Shoe's best goaltenders are likely to keep this a low scoring game. Won't be surprised if it comes down to OT again tonight.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like the Falcons played well tonight. Big 4-2 win to take the 3-2 series lead.
hockeystars59

Post by hockeystars59 »

Nothing like a game 7 to end a series. Going to be making the trip out for that game, should be some good hockey.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Falcons lost more than just the game:
St. Catharines - Dakota Miskolczi - (Discriminatory Slur) (Gross Misconduct) (GRM63), 0 MIN, 18:18
Game 7 is hard enough, now the Falcons have to play it without a top 6 forward.
hockeystars59

Post by hockeystars59 »

Also they might be losing more then just him i know they got 2 majors and games so they may be down 3 players
St. Catharines - Michael Davies - (Checking from Behind) (Major) (GM51), 5 MIN, 17:36
St. Catharines - Michael Davies - (Checking from Behind) (Game Misconduct) (GM50/51), 0 MIN, 17:36
St. Catharines - Kyle West - (Head Contact) (Major) (CTH), 5 MIN, 19:28
St. Catharines - Kyle West - (Head Contact) (Game Misconduct) (GM71), 0 MIN, 19:28
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

hockeystars59 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:23 pm Also they might be losing more then just him i know they got 2 majors and games so they may be down 3 players
St. Catharines - Michael Davies - (Checking from Behind) (Major) (GM51), 5 MIN, 17:36
St. Catharines - Michael Davies - (Checking from Behind) (Game Misconduct) (GM50/51), 0 MIN, 17:36
St. Catharines - Kyle West - (Head Contact) (Major) (CTH), 5 MIN, 19:28
St. Catharines - Kyle West - (Head Contact) (Game Misconduct) (GM71), 0 MIN, 19:28
They will be down 4. West, Davies, Edwardson and Miskolczi. All from tonight
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

The Falcons are getting what they deserve for taking STUPID undisciplined penalties. Not that this is anything new because they have been doing it all season long as they led the GOJHL in penalty minutes this year. Now they've got a tough row to hoe and they have nobody to blame except themselves.
CC1

Post by CC1 »

Congrats to Ancaster for the drama show they put on last night, not one of those hits resulted in, nor was an intent to, injure. They would have been normal body checks on anyone over 5'7'.

Series should have been over on Wed when Dunda scored in the 2nd OT and it went through the net. The trajectory of the puck showed that it couldn't have gone off the crossbar as the refs said and there was definitely no ping. Nor was the net checked after the play. Disgraceful!
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

This seven game series now makes it almost impossible for one of the Golden Horseshoe teams to qualify for the wildcard with seven or more losses. The only way would be for either Ancaster or St. Catharines to knock off Caledonia in the final and have the Corvairs qualify as the wildcard. Highly unlikely though.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

All the Conference's are in the same predicament. The West has a Game 7 tonight and the Midwest have 2 Game 6's tonight, possibly 1 or 2 Game 7's tomorrow.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

True enough. Looks like whoever it will be will have quite a few losses going in.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The Falcons win 4-1, despite playing with four players out of the lineup. They still only gave up 12 shots on goal. Way to go Falcons.