Sutherland Cup Semi Finals; Caledonia vs Elmira

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Cal 99ers

Re: Sutherland Cup Semi Finals; Caledonia vs Elmira

Post by Cal 99ers »

Well your right rocketgirl,this Thornton guy is a piece of work.
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

That was Thornton making sure Caledonia was screwed before he put his whistle away.Wasn't calling a ton of interference plays in the 3rd.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like Caledonia has to win 3 straight games to stay alive, and advance. Elmira has really been underestimated. I think Caledonia can do this though. Stay out of the box, and they'll be fine. But they better hope the Elmira goalie doesn't steel one of those games... He needs 1 of 3, all the pressure's on the Corviars.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Port hockey1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm Looks like Caledonia has to win 3 straight games to stay alive, and advance. Elmira has really been underestimated. I think Caledonia can do this though. Stay out of the box, and they'll be fine. But they better hope the Elmira goalie doesn't steel one of those games... He needs 1 of 3, all the pressure's on the Corviars.
Out coached ? Haven't been to a game just asking the question.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Cali vairs! wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:13 am
cpt obvious wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:25 pm All I can think about was how many posts were on here last season during the finals about how 'Bully' knows how to coach and motivate his players..bla bla bla. Clearly just a guy that stands there and rolls his lines, being exposed this playoffs without those few big guns on the team. No answers at all for Elmira.
All I can remember about last years posts was about how when London won the series that you were gonna be waving the flag in all of our faces at the western fair.

Yea does it hurt missing Lindy. Nobody can feed craevich the puck is the first thing. Lindy creates space for everybody with his physicality and that they have to respect his skill. Losing him is huge and now that he is back it's a whole different team. What blows my mind is that the corvairs must have forgotten how to adjust on there powerplay. The penalty kill is rushing everybody who has the puck. St kitts did it too. Figure it out boys. The only reason Caledonia was in the game was chenard. Played his heart out again and one unfortunate goal made him lose. Good game but now we will see who the better team is. I think Caledonia will win the next 4 straight.

Did anybody watch the first 2 games of the Elmira vs listowel series? Cuz I watched the last game and Elmira looked to be a different team. Just wondering if they couldn't last long enough in that series
Actually after game two at the Fair I said we needed everything to fall into place plus luck to beat that team...that team that money bought...couldn't buy a team this season though could they. For all the bashing and finger pointing that went on here last season, everyone that stood up and said something were right! Everyone's opinions that were aired are now being proven to be true, take away the hired guns and bully is just a monkey that stands there and looks pretty. Give this team to the Listowel/London/Leamington coaches and they would already be waiting in the final for an opponent. IMO
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Hey, wait a minute, who ever said Mike looked pretty. :smt057 LOL
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 am Hey, wait a minute, who ever said Mike looked pretty. :smt057 LOL
His hairstyle was pretty... http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-p ... id53122360
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BillyTheKid wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 am
Port hockey1 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm Looks like Caledonia has to win 3 straight games to stay alive, and advance. Elmira has really been underestimated. I think Caledonia can do this though. Stay out of the box, and they'll be fine. But they better hope the Elmira goalie doesn't steel one of those games... He needs 1 of 3, all the pressure's on the Corviars.
Out coached ? Haven't been to a game just asking the question.
I can't get to games out there. Too far out of my way. It's looking like they've been out coached in this series though.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

cpt obvious wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:44 am
cpt obvious wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:25 pm All I can think about was how many posts were on here last season during the finals about how 'Bully' knows how to coach and motivate his players..bla bla bla. Clearly just a guy that stands there and rolls his lines, being exposed this playoffs without those few big guns on the team. No answers at all for Elmira.
All I can remember about last years posts was about how when London won the series that you were gonna be waving the flag in all of our faces at the western fair.

Yea does it hurt missing Lindy. Nobody can feed craevich the puck is the first thing. Lindy creates space for everybody with his physicality and that they have to respect his skill. Losing him is huge and now that he is back it's a whole different team. What blows my mind is that the corvairs must have forgotten how to adjust on there powerplay. The penalty kill is rushing everybody who has the puck. St kitts did it too. Figure it out boys. The only reason Caledonia was in the game was chenard. Played his heart out again and one unfortunate goal made him lose. Good game but now we will see who the better team is. I think Caledonia will win the next 4 straight.

Did anybody watch the first 2 games of the Elmira vs listowel series? Cuz I watched the last game and Elmira looked to be a different team. Just wondering if they couldn't last long enough in that series
Actually after game two at the Fair I said we needed everything to fall into place plus luck to beat that team...that team that money bought...couldn't buy a team this season though could they. For all the bashing and finger pointing that went on here last season, everyone that stood up and said something were right! Everyone's opinions that were aired are now being proven to be true, take away the hired guns and bully is just a monkey that stands there and looks pretty. Give this team to the Listowel/London/Leamington coaches and they would already be waiting in the final for an opponent. IMO
Money? Yeah, because London didn't buy half of their players. :lol: :lol:

And Bully won the Shoe, again... Don't see how anyone can bash the guy. His team set a league record last season. Then they won the Shoe again this season, despite losing most of their players from last year.
SugarKing

Post by SugarKing »

Port, every team buys their players, they just don't all pay them
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/7 ... caledonia/

https://www.sachem.ca/sports-story/7252 ... the-brink/

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/04/20/suthe ... next-round

Caledonia and Listowel could have tie it up if they would have won. But that didn't happen credit goes out to Elmira and London for staying with there game plan. Can Caledonia and Listowel win the next 3 to go to the Sutherland cup final. Like most people on this forum pick to be in the final.
Can't see London or Elmira losing 3 in a row not the way there playing. But you never know Caledonia and Listowel one game at a time.
cpt obvious

Post by cpt obvious »

Port hockey1 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 pm
cpt obvious wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:44 am

Money? Yeah, because London didn't buy half of their players. :lol: :lol:

And Bully won the Shoe, again... Don't see how anyone can bash the guy. His team set a league record last season. Then they won the Shoe again this season, despite losing most of their players from last year.

Winning the Shoe has little value, it was the weakest conference this season. It was a two team conference, them and St Catherine's and how many overtime games were needed to win that series which means a bounce either way and they're at the range warming up for a quick 18. Listowel was down 0-2 and won 4 straight and London didn't even break stride winning the west. Hard not to point fingers at the coach, he wanted to be the reason they were rolling last year he can be the reason they're stalling this year. Besides, the players they picked up at the deadline were enough to roll into a 4th Sutherland Cup. I'm just pointing out the fact that last year at this time it was all about 'bully has the guys going, bla bla bla'. clearly bully doesn't have anyone going now does he.
ref

Post by ref »

Corvairs ousted as Elmira wins the series 4 games to 2 to advance against London for the Sutherland Cup
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Although there were many on here that said it wouldn't, I guess the Caledonia Rule worked.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 pm Although there were many on here that said it wouldn't, I guess the Caledonia Rule worked.
But the series very well could have went the other way. They still added a lot of talented 19 year olds this season. Maybe that rule did have an impact, but there's too many different angles to look at. Interesting debate to have though. Without that rule, would they have had more 20 year olds this season? Hard to say, as last year was a one-off.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Port hockey1 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:35 pm Without that rule, would they have had more 20 year olds this season? Hard to say, as last year was a one-off.
100% they would, because they'd be allowed to. Mr Hill would have done what he did last year, and entice OHL OA's to come to him. The rule did what it was supposed to do. Bring parody. But they still put a great squad together, no denying it.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

StCathFalcons wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:58 pm
Port hockey1 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:35 pm Without that rule, would they have had more 20 year olds this season? Hard to say, as last year was a one-off.
100% they would, because they'd be allowed to. Mr Hill would have done what he did last year, and entice OHL OA's to come to him. The rule did what it was supposed to do. Bring parody. But they still put a great squad together, no denying it.
What makes you say 100% they would? The two years before that they only had 9, and 10, 20 year olds.
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

Because he could! 2 and 3 years ago they were only a couple of bounces away from losing to St. Catharines and LaSalle in the final with fewer amount of 20 year olds. Once he enjoyed the success of last year's juggernaut there would be no going back.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Beehive wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 pm Because he could! 2 and 3 years ago they were only a couple of bounces away from losing to St. Catharines and LaSalle in the final with fewer amount of 20 year olds. Once he enjoyed the success of last year's juggernaut there would be no going back.
You could be right. But is the money needed to do that really worth it?
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

That is a good question Port although I doubt that there is any other organization in the league with the amount of capital that controls the Corvairs. In the long run it may be important to the owners to bring home the cup every year as some kind of personal achievement but let's hope that they are in it for the love of the game. The situation last year tended to rile a few people on here (myself included) and I do not have an allegiance to any particular team in this league. I don't know if you follow CIS Canadian football but the situation kind of reminded me of the Laval squad that wins the championship almost every year because they have an athletic budget about five times larger than the next university. In short, you can accomplish and obtain many more things if you have the money to do so.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Port hockey1 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:01 pm
Beehive wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:11 pm Because he could! 2 and 3 years ago they were only a couple of bounces away from losing to St. Catharines and LaSalle in the final with fewer amount of 20 year olds. Once he enjoyed the success of last year's juggernaut there would be no going back.
You could be right. But is the money needed to do that really worth it?
As an owner of GRE he has lots of it and he likes to spend it on sports teams. I think he does the same with the Baseball team that won 3 or 4 world championships in a row.

While they may not have won the Sutherland this year they will simply re-stock with free agents and will contend again.

As an example of the resources available to them, I heard they spent close to 20K on cards alone at the deadline not counting the $$$ required to compensate the players. Can't really blame the players ....play out your eligibility, make a few bucks and win a Sutherland.. not a bad gig if you can get it.
zantimisfit

Post by zantimisfit »

Excellent post oldtymer. That is precisely the point. Every year they will simply re-stock by buying and paying high amounts to the players that they really want. Money is no object, which is why the majority of the fans I've talked to over the last couple of years can't stand them. Not because they win all the time, but how they go about it. But to top it all off they are a bushleague organization. Here's a quote from this year's Caledonia program attributed to GM Brian Rizzetto in which he talks about his favourite of the Sutherland Cup wins. In regards to the 2014 win "Our Captain, Matt Quilty, came back from a serious eye injury to bang home the game 7 winner which was great because he was cheap-shotted by a St. Catharines defenseman earlier in the year and we thought he was done playing hockey. Cheap-shotted, really Rizz??The Quilty eye injury was determined to be accidental after a follow through on a shot. No penalty was called and no suspensions were levied against any St. Catharines defenseman but it was a "cheap-shot" according to the big boy in charge. Like I said, total bushleague!!!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

zantimisfit wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:22 pm Excellent post oldtymer. That is precisely the point. Every year they will simply re-stock by buying and paying high amounts to the players that they really want. Money is no object, which is why the majority of the fans I've talked to over the last couple of years can't stand them. Not because they win all the time, but how they go about it. But to top it all off they are a bushleague organization. Here's a quote from this year's Caledonia program attributed to GM Brian Rizzetto in which he talks about his favourite of the Sutherland Cup wins. In regards to the 2014 win "Our Captain, Matt Quilty, came back from a serious eye injury to bang home the game 7 winner which was great because he was cheap-shotted by a St. Catharines defenseman earlier in the year and we thought he was done playing hockey. Cheap-shotted, really Rizz??The Quilty eye injury was determined to be accidental after a follow through on a shot. No penalty was called and no suspensions were levied against any St. Catharines defenseman but it was a "cheap-shot" according to the big boy in charge. Like I said, total bushleague!!!
:smt005 :smt005 :smt010 :smt081
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

zantimisfit wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:22 pm Excellent post oldtymer. That is precisely the point. Every year they will simply re-stock by buying and paying high amounts to the players that they really want. Money is no object, which is why the majority of the fans I've talked to over the last couple of years can't stand them. Not because they win all the time, but how they go about it. But to top it all off they are a bushleague organization. Here's a quote from this year's Caledonia program attributed to GM Brian Rizzetto in which he talks about his favourite of the Sutherland Cup wins. In regards to the 2014 win "Our Captain, Matt Quilty, came back from a serious eye injury to bang home the game 7 winner which was great because he was cheap-shotted by a St. Catharines defenseman earlier in the year and we thought he was done playing hockey. Cheap-shotted, really Rizz??The Quilty eye injury was determined to be accidental after a follow through on a shot. No penalty was called and no suspensions were levied against any St. Catharines defenseman but it was a "cheap-shot" according to the big boy in charge. Like I said, total bushleague!!!
Wow you really demonstrated how there total Bush-league with that statement LOL
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

This was a great serious could have went either way. Four one goal wins for Elmira.
All the credit goes to Elmira. Very well coached team that stuck to the game plan.
They never gave up and never looked for excuses. When playing a team like Caledonia it's not the 20 year old thing.
It's the OHL experience Caledonia had way more than Elmira. But Elmira never once let that intimidate them.
This is how you beat a team like Caledonia you out work them and good goaltender. St Kitts was close but Elmira succeeded.
Last year everyone was beat before a lot of the serious started the Caledonia rule was in everyone's head and they use that for a excuse.
London didn't start playing till game four by than it was to late.
So hats off to Elmira your having a hell of a ride. Good Luck.