Finals; Caledonia vs St.Catharines

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Finals; Caledonia vs St.Catharines

Post by Port hockey1 »

I think the Falcons have done a good job putting together another solid team. I think this years version is better than last years. They have two forwards who score a lot of goals, and several others who move the puck well and can chip in with goals.

Caledonia has done a spectacular job of putting another great group together. Considering how many players aged out after last season, building a team that's this dominate right away is pretty impressive.

The Corviars have a big edge in the scoring department.

They also have a better veteran defense, IMO.

The Falcons might have the better goalie.

But I think this series comes down to who has more in the tank. The Corvairs have the ability to spread the ice time right out. So I see the Falcons getting tired as this series progresses.

Caledonia in 5
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Cali vairs!

Re: Finals; Caledonia vs St.Catharines

Post by Cali vairs! »

Offence: whenever i watch st. Kitts they have 1 line and sometimes there second line can put up a lot of points. The part where it is difficult is that Caledonia has a very strong 3 with a 4th who has been playing well lately. I give the advantage to Cali on offence because they are deeper and will be able to contain Skilsky, Main, and skulls line.

Defence: At the start of the season i think this was a huge advantage for st kitts. Now it is a bit different since caledonia brought in 3 at the deadline. Caledonia has 6 that are really strong including Punkari and Gonyou who would be able to come back and help. But IMO st kitts is 7 deep and has the best Defence in the conference. Edge here has to go to St.Kitts

Goalie: Both Chanard (who should be starting next series if his hip is better) and Savoury have close numbers. But i would take Chanard every day. Savoury's defence in front of him is absolutely stellar and don't make many defensive mistakes which is why i believe his numbers are as high as they are. Chanard has to deal with a lot better opportunities since Cali's D often jump in the rush and can get caught. But is Shubey is starting i think St.Kitts has the edge by quite a bit unless Shubey plays like he did last round it would be a smaller gap.

Prediction: Caledonia in 5
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Cali, we are close in what we see but we do differ. Here's how I see it. Corvairs are deeper in the forward position. They have 3 lines that score on a regular pace while the Falcons have 2 lines that can be counted on. Caledonia's fourth line sees ice throughout the game. Falcons fourth line often sees no ice time in the third period if its a close game. The Falcons third line is more of a checking, a line not counted on for much scoring. To me defence is a saw off. Both teams are strong in different ways. Yes Caledonia's D is more offensive minded than the Falcon group but they also play a solid defensive game. The Falcon defence, as you mentioned, are strong in their own end and make very few mistakes while defending their zone. Their main threat from their defensive core is DiTomaso.
I would take Savoury over any goalie in the Horseshoe. He has handled about 450 more shots then Chenard and ended the season with a better save percentage. Chenard did end up with a better goals against. Both good goalies but my pick would be Savoury.

My prediction,hmmmmm, lets say Caledonia in 6
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Caledonia in 5 I am going to say as well
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 pm Cali, we are close in what we see but we do differ. Here's how I see it. Corvairs are deeper in the forward position. They have 3 lines that score on a regular pace while the Falcons have 2 lines that can be counted on. Caledonia's fourth line sees ice throughout the game. Falcons fourth line often sees no ice time in the third period if its a close game. The Falcons third line is more of a checking, a line not counted on for much scoring. To me defence is a saw off. Both teams are strong in different ways. Yes Caledonia's D is more offensive minded than the Falcon group but they also play a solid defensive game. The Falcon defence, as you mentioned, are strong in their own end and make very few mistakes while defending their zone. Their main threat from their defensive core is DiTomaso.
I would take Savoury over any goalie in the Horseshoe. He has handled about 450 more shots then Chenard and ended the season with a better save percentage. Chenard did end up with a better goals against. Both good goalies but my pick would be Savoury.

My prediction,hmmmmm, lets say Caledonia in 6
I agree with your complete assessment, front to back. I'm realistic, and believe the 'Vairs take it because they are just THAT deep.

I'm hoping it goes 7, just to give the Falcons a chance to have the best 2nd place record.

Either way, it should be great games, however many there are.
BeenThereDoneThat

Hey SCF, i could go along with what you are hoping for. Then maybe we could see the best two Jr. B teams in Ontario battle it out like they did in the 2013/2014 Sutherland Cup Finals. (and what a great series that was) :smt038 :smt038
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I hope that St. Kitts gets the wild card as well (if caledonia wins). You always want the two top teams in Ontario face each other in the final and i believe that it is st.Kitts and Caledonia. Love going to the Jack for playoffs. Great atmosphere even though the ice surface isn't the best. Better road trip then having to go to london, or listowel etc.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

https://www.sachem.ca/sports-story/7210 ... emacy-set/

I think Caledonia could win in 6 or 7. I also think St Kitts could win in 6 or 7. That's how close it is it's even closer than 2014.
Both have good goaltending, good defence, good offence, PP, PK, Caledonia much improve PP.
Special teams will be big in this serious. I hope the referring is better than want I have seen so far.
I'm really surprise that some St Kitts fans have not pick there team to win in 6 or 7 games.
I'm going with Caledonia in 6 hard fought games.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Caledonia Fan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:14 pmI'm really surprise that some St Kitts fans have not pick there team to win in 6 or 7 games. I'm going with Caledonia in 6 hard fought games.
Well, there's a difference between diehard, fall on the sword fans, and realistic fans who love their team.

Crazy fans (and we love most of them), might say Falcons in 4 or 5. Well, that's just Donald Trump crazy!

Me, I would love for the Falcons to win, obviously. But I'm realistic to know that the 'Vairs are favored heavily, with good reason.

Can the Falcons win? Sure. But the stars would have to align. And it would definitely take six or seven games. But to pick them to win, well, it's just not realistic.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

St kitts in 5 :lol:
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Well what a wild game 1. Caledonia with the triple OT win.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like they came out and dominated the 3rd OT. Shots were 7-0. Falcons must have been running out of gas.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017 ... catharines
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
CC1

Post by CC1 »

Not really, port, but you would have to be there to see it. Cali did the same thing they did in the first 2 OT periods, came out quick to get it done. They were as tired as the Falcons and it showed for both teams. But this time they were successful. Anyone who thought the Falcons were going to go down easily in 4 should think again after seeing last night's game. Falcons had lots of chances to put the game away earlier but it just didn't go that way.

Great game hard fought by both teams.
BeenThereDoneThat

Loved everything about the game. Hats off to the on ice officials, they let the guys play hockey and let them decide the outcome. Best officiated game I've seen in years. :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 am Loved everything about the game. Hats off to the on ice officials, they let the guys play hockey and let them decide the outcome. Best officiated game I've seen in years. :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Out of conference officials so that would explain it
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I can't believe that Thornton only called 7 penalties in the entire game.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

Should be a different game on fri. only practicing since the 16th,Vairs may have their game back now.They didn't look good first game in ancaster either after long wait.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Cal 99ers wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:06 pm Should be a different game on fri. only practicing since the 16th,Vairs may have their game back now.They didn't look good first game in ancaster either after long wait.
Are you suggesting they didn't look good in their first game against the Falcons? Sounded as though it was a great back and forth, with many opportunities for both teams.

Be a fan Cal 99, but don't take anything away from the teams that deserve the slow clap. Both teams came out on all cylinders. Savory was just able to do (for the most part) what Ancaster's goalies couldn't do.

And speaking of, would love to hear from those who picked Caledonia goalies 'hands down' over Savory. I think the goalie match up is much tighter than suggested by those doubters.

And I know there were those who spoke highly of him as well, not a shot at those peeps. Should be a great series, no matter how many games it is.

Before I go, I will say re goalies, I'm not so sure the Falcons would be as confident in their 1-2 keepers as Caledonia should be with their 1-2 keepers. Both the 'Vairs keepers are clearly capable of winning the series for them.
BeenThereDoneThat

As I have stated in the past, Savoury is the class of the Horseshoe Conference. Corvairs came out flying on all cylinders and their was no rust showing in their execution. They player strong and pushed the play early in the game. They were well rested and ready to go. Give the Falcons credit for a strong push back and prove that they are ready and capable of performing well against the Corvairs. Like Bully has stated this is a great rivalry. Looking forward to a great game on Friday at the Jack. Still think its the Corvairs in 6 a wishing for the Falcons to grab the Wildcard so that they can meet again in the Suthy Finals.
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

CC1 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 am Not really, port, but you would have to be there to see it.
Not gonna happen :lol:
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

Think these are the best 2 teams in the league.Vairs only beat them in the past by executing almost perfect passing plays in St Kitts zone.Last night was the best game i've seen Falcons play all year,didn't see too many 3 passes in a row plays from Vairs last nite.Good fast game but execution wasn't there.
ref

Post by ref »

Port hockey1 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:24 am Looks like they came out and dominated the 3rd OT. Shots were 7-0. Falcons must have been running out of gas.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017 ... catharines
I agree that they must have run out of gas. Caledonia got a 1st round bye and Falcons knocked off Pelham in 4 straight. The next round Caledonia takes out Ancaster in 4 straight while the Falcons had a hard fought series with the Canucks to take it in 6 games. Games 5 and 6 were very tough games. The outcome could have gone either way. The 6th game was over on Sunday in Niagara Falls. They only had a 2 day rest before heading to Caledonia who had been off for over a week. The Falcons were great for the 5 periods and in the 6th, like you said they must have been running on fumes.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

CC1 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 am Not really, port, but you would have to be there to see it. Cali did the same thing they did in the first 2 OT periods, came out quick to get it done.
No there was a huge difference between the way they came out in the third Ot. They did not come out nearly as strong. They completely dominated St. Kitts.

- The Officials did a really nice job in the game. there was a ton more penalties they could of called but they let the teams play and they called the obvious penalties. Let the teams battle.

- Caledonia did not look as strong as they have been. They weren't skating and making the plays like they usually do (some of course because the St kitts D) but they seemed a bit off.

- Copps was shadowing Lindberg all game and did a great job of not letting him have any room. But at the end of the 2nd Ot and 3rd he looked absolutely dead tired and they really needed to switch the matchup. Felker or Dilorenzo could do it as well.

- Also on the Savoury note. He is a really good goaltender but it really helps having the best D in the league in front of him. All night he didn't have a lot of great quality shots against (he mad 3 or 4 nice saves) but other than the there wasn't very high quality chances. The St kitts D is very good at keeping the puck t the outside and making the other team take bad percentage shots. IMO i would rather have Chanard in net for my team. He has gained my trust and has been absolutely stellar, Shubey not so much. I have also not seen Savoury that much compared to Niagara region fans but i haven't really seen enough of him to take him #1 in the league. But he is a great goaltender
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

by CC1
Not really, port, but you would have to be there to see it.
by Cali vairs!
No there was a huge difference between the way they came out in the third Ot. They did not come out nearly as strong. They completely dominated St. Kitts.
That's what I figured, guess you didn't really have to be there... :smt003
Cal 99ers

Post by Cal 99ers »

I agree that Chenard is the better goalie and Bully has confidence in both of them.If they win the Suthy it probably will be like the past where the goalie that finishes is not the goalie that started.Last year Cambridge wasn't getting the rebound so Savory didn't looked good at all.Seem all the credit is given to Savory instead of a great defence, all 5 guys appear to be commited to their system.
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

While on the topic of goalies, does Savard end up back in Caledonia? Looks like Sudbury is about to go down 3 games to 2 in the OHL playoffs. Not sure what the exact situation is with him, or if Caledonia would even want him back, although I'm sure they want some return on their investment.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Cal 99ers wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:46 pm I agree that Chenard is the better goalie and Bully has confidence in both of them.If they win the Suthy it probably will be like the past where the goalie that finishes is not the goalie that started.Last year Cambridge wasn't getting the rebound so Savory didn't looked good at all.Seem all the credit is given to Savory instead of a great defence, all 5 guys appear to be commited to their system.
The D is very good, no doubt. But hard to believe only 3 or 5 of the 53 saves were the only good ones. Good D or not, he's still seeing 56 shots.

OT again tonight, and he's made 40+ saves, and many are huge. To say most of Caledonia's shots are from the outside, or non threatening, means someone isn't watching carefully. Caledonia absolutely dominated the 1st period tonight, and Savory was huge. This of course, is IMHO. :-)
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

This time it goes the Falcons way and the series is tied at 1
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Looks like this one was an upset. When the shots are 56-26, I'd say they're very lucky to be in a tied series. But you have to give their goalie credit, he's come up huge in both games so far, and probably won them that game tonight. He probably is the best goalie in the Shoe.

This is how I expect this series to be. I would be surprised if Caledonia didn't control most of the play. That's not taking a shot at the Falcons either, just saying how good the Corvairs are. The Falcons are probably the 2nd best team in the GOJHL after Caledonia... But Caledonia is still Caledonia. They're built to be the better team, no matter who they're playing. But if the Falcons keep getting that kind of goaltending, there's going to be more very close games to come. :)
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Port hockey1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:00 pm Looks like this one was an upset. When the shots are 56-26, I'd say they're very lucky to be in a tied series. But you have to give their goalie credit, he's come up huge in both games so far, and probably won them that game tonight. He probably is the best goalie in the Shoe.

This is how I expect this series to be. I would be surprised if Caledonia didn't control most of the play. That's not taking a shot at the Falcons either, just saying how good the Corvairs are. The Falcons are probably the 2nd best team in the GOJHL after Caledonia... But Caledonia is still Caledonia. They're built to be the better team, no matter who they're playing. But if the Falcons keep getting that kind of goaltending, there's going to be more very close games to come. :)
Caledonia was absolutely the better team tonight. Absolutely dominated the first period. Then penalties got the Falcons a lot of time in their own end as Caledonia just kept hammering away. Late second period and third period, Falcons played stride for stride (only because Caledonia slowed down to 80 km/hr, after going 100 for almost two full periods).

Savory by far the player of the game, both games.