Finals; Caledonia vs St.Catharines

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Cali vairs!

Re: Finals; Caledonia vs St.Catharines

Post by Cali vairs! »

BillyTheKid wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm Maybe the shots are at his chest bc his angles are good and he's in good position. Just a thought ?
Hes in position but its partly because the shots are coming from far out. The St.Kitts Defence are so good at boxing people out from the from too the net and not letting the puck get in front. Of course I have taken into account him being in position but its pretty easy to be when the shots are coming from far away.
- I will never say he is a bad goaltender just the St catherines D is doing a great job right now
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Have you ever heard the theory that a goalie is only as strong as the D/team in front of him?
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

RocketGirl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:06 pm Have you ever heard the theory that a goalie is only as strong as the D/team in front of him?
That is exactly the whole point. Of course he has some of the best numbers when he has the best D in front of him. But it really doesn't matter at this point. The goal is to try and win games at this point. One player can't do it, team effort. Better team is gonna win. But there is not much separation between these two anyway. I would definitely say this is the Suthy Cup final... bt who knows we may get to see this all again.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Cali vairs! wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 pm
BillyTheKid wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:38 pm Maybe the shots are at his chest bc his angles are good and he's in good position. Just a thought ?
Hes in position but its partly because the shots are coming from far out. The St.Kitts Defence are so good at boxing people out from the from too the net and not letting the puck get in front. Of course I have taken into account him being in position but its pretty easy to be when the shots are coming from far away.
- I will never say he is a bad goaltender just the St catherines D is doing a great job right now
All the big wigs your boys have should be able to get in tighter for better shots should they not? Or are there D that good they can't? or are your boys to perimeter? I don't get it lol... every time somebody says something about there goalie you just go back to saying the majority of there shots are from the outside so it must be one of those things I just mentioned. Or he's a great positioning goalie with great angles. They I see it though there giving him way to much time to set up and make the save. The goals they got in the third other then goal 2 and 3 were all goals where he couldn't get set to make the save really tip shots and other goals. But that's just my opinion on the subject. He's a good goalie but like a lot of good goalies don't give him time to set up and make the save.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

BillyTheKid wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:52 pm wigs your boys have should be able to get in tighter for better shots should they not? Or are there D that good they can't? or are your boys to perimeter? I don't get it lol... every time somebody says something about there goalie you just go back to saying the majority of there shots are from the outside so it must be one of those things I just mentioned. Or he's a great positioning goalie with great angles. They I see it though there giving him way to much time to set up and make the save. The goals they got in the third other then goal 2 and 3 were all goals where he couldn't get set to make the save really tip shots and other goals. But that's just my opinion on the subject. He's a good goalie but like a lot of good goalies don't give him time to set up and make the save.
- Have you seen St Kitts defence? There is no penetrating them. They are very physical. size wise there isn't an advantage to the Caledonia forwards. Its a lot easier to say "give him less time to set up". Defensively you want to push offenders to the outside so they get weak shots on net. Not really sure what your trying to say. But its time to focus on the other parts of the games.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Cali vairs! wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:42 pm Anybody else notice how often Savory's net comes off once there is a close play in front. Ive seen copps give it a little help going off a couple times and a few others. Now the nets in Caledonia come off easy but it doesn't seem like Shubey is having that much trouble keeping it on. Just want to see if anybody else has noticed this.
I'm a Falcons fan, but I have to agree...he has been notorious in doing it of late. I think it started in the Canucks series when Moore was getting away with it...so Savory started returning the favour, and hasn't looked back.

That said, refs job to warn them after the 2nd or 3rd one, then give delay of penalty. Pretty sure Savory had received one last series.
CC1

Post by CC1 »

The exact same thing is happening at the other end of the arena.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

CC1 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:44 pm The exact same thing is happening at the other end of the arena.
It's a part of the game, and a skillset they try to master. They either get away with it in convincing manner, or they get penalized.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

If it's known that your arena has crappy pegs, they give the goalie the benefit of the doubt.

So far, you guys have had Western refs in Caledonia and they rarely call it.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia wins 3-1, but lost a key player for several games;
Lindberg - (Attempt to Injure) (Match) (MP40), 5 MIN, 16:04
What happened on that play :?: :?:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Hattrick73

Post by Hattrick73 »

From my vantage point, i saw most of it....i didnt think it looked like a real penalty anyway. Then i heard it was a MATCH and 5 min and i was dumbfounded. I'd like to see a replay as it was right in front of the ref who called it.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm told it's a slew foot.

Now, I'm having a discussion with a couple guys, what's the proper penalty for a slew foot? 5 min major for tripping and then an MP40 for the attempt to injure and 4 game suspension, or 4 min for tripping and a game misconduct?

Down in the West, all season it's been 5+match, but they're telling me they've seen the 4+game, so which is it? And which did Lindberg deserve? Since I wasn't there to see it.
Queen of the GOJHL

15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Yes I'm friends with rocket girl and don't care who finds out who I am not hard to figure out but I have seen it called 4 min for tripping a game Which should have been the call last night Lindbergh in my opinion did not deserve a match penalty. And yes I'm a huge falcon supporter but wanna win games the proper way black was horrible on that call and a few of the too many men calls let the boys decide this series
refquestions

Post by refquestions »

Clarification on the differences between a 4 minute + GM and 5 min + Match penalty.

2016/2017 Hockey Canada Rule Book:
Rule 7.4 (b)

A player who slew foots an opponent shall be assessed a double minor penalty and a game misconduct if he is standing still while committing the foul. Should the player be moving (skating) or if an injury results from the infraction, the player shall be assessed a match penalty. A match penalty shall be assessed to any player who attempts to injure or deliberately injures an opponent with a slew foot.

Therefore if there was no injury on the play then the players were in motion when the infraction occurred.
OffTheRecord

Post by OffTheRecord »

https://az184419.vo.msecnd.net/hockey-c ... book_e.pdf

Rule 7.4 (b) New for this season

"A player who slew foots an opponent shall be assessed a double minor penalty and
game misconduct if he is standing still while committing the foul. Should the player
be moving (skating) or if an injury results from the infraction, the player shall be
assessed a match penalty. A match penalty shall be assessed to any player who attempts
to injure or deliberately injures an opponent with a slew foot."

I wasn't at the game but it looks like the refs went with the Match as the player was moving.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

I was at the game. The call at the game was 4 mins for tripping and a game misconduct. I was surprise to see they change in to slashing and attempt to injure . Never really thought much about it. What I saw at the game it was away from the play. Lindbreg went at Smilsky stopping him from getting in to the play. Putting him in a wash machine move. Black was right there to call the penalty. Smilsky limps back to the bench making it look more serious than it was like all good hockey players. Yes Linbreg deserve the penalty but a tripping call change to slashing and attempt to injure. Mariner took two high sticking double penalies drawing blood isn't that attempt to injure. Then there's Copps at the end of the game going after Mallette he gets a roughing and inciting .This was just as bad as what Linbreg did. Smilsky play the rest of the game and almost the whole 5 on 3.
The worst reffing game of the serious.A lot of talk about St Kitts defencemen on here it was Caledonia defencemen that won the game last night.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017 ... s-st-kitts
Welland Cougars

Post by Welland Cougars »

From Pointstreak transactions:

Caledonia 04/05/17 DEL Lindberg, Brandon (F) placed on league suspension for minimum 4 games

That's absolute trash if what is being described (even by Falcon supporters) holds up. Not only does it directly​ affect this series, but any series going forward if Caledonia were to advance.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Caledonia Fan, totally agree 100% with you on both the Refereeing( terrible) and the Caledonia defense( they were awesome) Falcon defense good on 5 on 5's and pk but were terrible on the pp. Don't know if they are told to pass rather than shoot but their play on the man advantages was laughable.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

On the Mariniers high sticking penalty, it was pretty laughable. Punk grabbed his stick and brought it towards his face. and even on the ground still was holding his stick. He did a fantastic job not letting the refs see him on the way back to the bench, cuz when he got there he bit his lip so he would start bleeding and showed the ref his already chipped tooth.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:34 pm On the Mariniers high sticking penalty, it was pretty laughable. Punk grabbed his stick and brought it towards his face. and even on the ground still was holding his stick. He did a fantastic job not letting the refs see him on the way back to the bench, cuz when he got there he bit his lip so he would start bleeding and showed the ref his already chipped tooth.
That's actually pretty hilarious. :lol:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Port hockey1 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:36 pm Caledonia wins 3-1, but lost a key player for several games;
Although a stupid play on Lindberg's part, a HORRIBLE call by the refs.

Falcons vs Canucks, Patrick MacDonald did a similar thing to McCabe, in game 2. Was a stupid play, but proper call made. And was a one game suspension.

To take Lindberg out of, possibly, the first three games of the Suthy Semi's is a travesty.

I'm a Falcon supporter, but I'm a fan of the game. Love Caledonia's style and play. Huge fan of Lindberg's. Hopefully they can protest. Not sure of how that rule works.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Falcons win game 5, 2-1 in first OT. Falcons goalie Owen Savory took 43 shots to the chest in the win, as the Falcons forced Caledonia to take every shot from outside the blue line. :wink:

Looked like another barn burner. Falcons force a game 6.
Welland Cougars

Really hoping both these teams advance to the next round.

Not sure exactly where the formula sits at this moment, but it obviously comes down to the Shoe and Mid West.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

StCathFalcons wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:12 pm
Port hockey1 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:36 pm Caledonia wins 3-1, but lost a key player for several games;
Although a stupid play on Lindberg's part, a HORRIBLE call by the refs.

Falcons vs Canucks, Patrick MacDonald did a similar thing to McCabe, in game 2. Was a stupid play, but proper call made. And was a one game suspension.

To take Lindberg out of, possibly, the first three games of the Suthy Semi's is a travesty.

I'm a Falcon supporter, but I'm a fan of the game. Love Caledonia's style and play. Huge fan of Lindberg's. Hopefully they can protest. Not sure of how that rule works.
It's nice to see Caledonia get so much support. I know there's been a lot of people getting on them about how they've built recent teams. But good to see this league has so many true hockey fans. Fans who wan't to see the kids battle it out fairly. :)

Looks like the Falcons must have played a great game tonight, I expected nothing less. They have a very well built, and coached team.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Welland Cougars wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:38 pm Really hoping both these teams advance to the next round.

Not sure exactly where the formula sits at this moment, but it obviously comes down to the Shoe and Mid West.
I think the only way both the Falcons and Caledonia move on, is if Falcons win the series. I think the mid-west is going to get the best 2nd place team, even if the Falcons lose in 7.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Great game from two teams that don't know the word "quit ". Owen The Savior was outstanding once again. If you were there, there is no need of me explaining why, simply outstanding. Should be a game you don't want to miss this Friday. Lets all meet at the Jack on Friday and show these guys how much we appreciate the great hockey we have witnessed during this series. And if it goes to game 7, lets do the same thing at the HC on Saturday.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

This is what the OHA has calculated after tonight's games.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170405-230210.png
Screenshot_20170405-230210.png (111.2 KiB) Viewed 46194 times
Queen of the GOJHL

Welland Cougars

Thanks, RocketGirl

Looks like St. Catherines has a chance if they can push the series to 7 and Listowel takes the next 2.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

If the stars are align like STCathFalcons said. And they beat Caledonia.
Do Caledonia get the wildcard with a 7-4 record ?
Anyone interest in the Hamilton area Cal. and St Kitts game 5 is on Channel 14 Rodgers.This afternoon( 01:00 PM)
Maybe on Channel 14 web site i never checked.
I checked the web site it's on at 01:00 this afternoon ( Channel 14 Hamilton)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

It depends what happens in the Midwest.

I've calculated every scenario possible and if St Catharines and Elmira win in 7, Caledonia will be tied with Listowel and it comes down to goal differential.
Queen of the GOJHL