St Catharines vs Niagara Falls

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Caledonia Fan

St Catharines vs Niagara Falls

Post by Caledonia Fan »

St Kitts vs N.F. could be the series to watch. They are so close in almost every category .
St Kitts number one P.P. and number one P.K. in the league.
N.F.tie for number four P.P. IN the league but was number one for a long time during the regular season.
Number two in P.K. Just look at there teams.
Wright vs Smilsky
Pucci vs Main
Cottam vs Ferreira
Mooney ( under suspenion a big loss) vs DiTomaso
And on and on
I' m picking St Kitts in 6 games why because St Kitts have a better defense.
And Moore vs Savory( Savory wins this all day)
Welland Cougars

Re: St Catharines vs Niagara Falls

Post by Welland Cougars »

I've got St. Kitts in 5, although I wouldn't be surprised if it went longer. The Golden Horseshoe might not be deep this year but the top 3 (Cal, St. Kitts, NF.) would be tops in either other division, IMO.

I think the Mooney suspension is a big factor (still 3 games to serve). Looking forward to seeing this one.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Caledonia Fan wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm St Kitts vs N.F. could be the series to watch. They are so close in almost every category .
St Kitts number one P.P. and number one P.K. in the league.
N.F.tie for number four P.P. IN the league but was number one for a long time during the regular season.
Number two in P.K. Just look at there teams.
Wright vs Smilsky
Pucci vs Main
Cottam vs Ferreira
Mooney ( under suspenion a big loss) vs DiTomaso
And on and on
I' m picking St Kitts in 6 games why because St Kitts have a better defense.
And Moore vs Savory( Savory wins this all day)
Great breakdown. And although stats on paper would suggest you're bang on re: Savory vs Moore, NF's four wins over St. Kitts this year came with Moore in net. Certainly motivated to beat the team that discarded him, as does a couple other Canucks.

It's gonna be close, and I suspect six or seven games, unfortunately. A long semi-final may be devastating for the 'best 2nd place record' for wild card in the Sutherland Cup play downs. Assuming Caledonia does, what they do best. Which is win.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

2-2 late in the 2nd period. Canucks out shooting the Falcons 18-7 in the 2nd period. This series is going to be a nail biter.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Welland Cougars

Penalty fest in St. Catherine's.

NF just 1 for 8 on the PP.
St. Catherine's 0 for 5.

3 Abuse of Official Misconducts for Niagara Falls.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

What a great hockey game. Two teams that went all in and gave no ground to each other. Every inch was earned . Can't wait till Sunday.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

McCabe another 14 minutes, wow shocker
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

GOJHLfan1 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 am McCabe another 14 minutes, wow shocker
None of it was for fighting, I bet!!! :smt117

A penaltyfest. The Falcons cannot afford to give NF so many chances. If they start clicking on the PP, they're gonna make St. Kitts pay.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Refs ruined the entire game. Was entertaining but the terrible calls stopped the play so much. Helped st. Kitts that a 6 on 3 was taken away from them for nothing. McCabe literally standed there and even took a cross check t the face without touching the goalie and got a penalty. Or when wright got bulldozed into savory by a St. kitts player and still somehow gets a penalty for goaltender interference and both penalties cancel. St kitts got handed this game (a couple more brutal calls i could name too). They played well but Niagara deserved it and were the better team.

Two really close teams but i still think Niagara will win it but i hope st kitts pulls it out for another great rivarly matchup.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:21 pm Refs ruined the entire game. Was entertaining but the terrible calls stopped the play so much. Helped st. Kitts that a 6 on 3 was taken away from them for nothing. McCabe literally standed there and even took a cross check t the face without touching the goalie and got a penalty. Or when wright got bulldozed into savory by a St. kitts player and still somehow gets a penalty for goaltender interference and both penalties cancel. St kitts got handed this game (a couple more brutal calls i could name too). They played well but Niagara deserved it and were the better team.

Two really close teams but i still think Niagara will win it but i hope st kitts pulls it out for another great rivarly matchup.
Hopefully they see the replay of the Toronto, Chicago game... Maybe that will teach them how to call a playoff game. :smt003
drafty

Post by drafty »

Niagara deserved it
still think Niagara will win it

Niagara is the Region (with 6 teams). Niagara Falls is the city. Not interchangeable.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Game two, 4-1 win for the Falcons. I'd say, Falcons the much better team even strength. But they continue to take stupid, stupid, stupid penalties that allow the Canucks to hammer away on the power play.

Savory was stellar in net for the Falcons. And as someone broke it down earlier in the thread, Falcons D are the difference.

MacDonald took a stupid 7 min penalty late in the game. Lucky it wasn't a major slew foot call. So undisciplined! Likely a game or two suspension. Could have been a 4 gamer.
BeenThereDoneThat

Falcons dominated for most of the game. Canucks miss Mooney. Their defence looked lost at times. Terrible collision at Centre Ice. Perlic and Wright collided and Perlic didn't return. Looked like he received a bad cut and probably had to go for stitched. Wright looks like he suffered a knee injury. He returned and played a few shifts but you could see he was playing in pain and was not himself. Hope both kids are able to return for game 3.
Savory was outstanding again, especially during the pk.

As mentioned by SCF, the Falcons took some undisciplined penalties again today.Do that in the next round and they will pay a big price.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

StCathFalcons wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:03 pm
GOJHLfan1 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 am McCabe another 14 minutes, wow shocker
None of it was for fighting, I bet!!! :smt117

A penaltyfest. The Falcons cannot afford to give NF so many chances. If they start clicking on the PP, they're gonna make St. Kitts pay.
No because he will not fight, he use to be good at sucking everyone else in to taking penalties but now everyone has smartened up and the refs know thats what he does to.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Niagara Falls just won game three 4-3 in OT. Looks like the Canucks are back in this. They get Mooney back for game four, should give them a boost.
BeenThereDoneThat

Another good intense game. The Canucks wanted it more and Moore made sure he did his part. Both teams dominated at times but the Canucks just seem more determined than the Falcons.
Refereeing was below standard again (a standard that is low to begin with ) for both teams but to be honest the Falcons took the shorter end of the stick tonight.
Two suggestions for the Coaches,that have stuck in my mind after watching this game,
Frank, sit McCabe in the Press Box, he's going to kill you in a big game.
Chris, tell your guys that passing the puck on the powerplay will only result in a goal if you eventually shoot.
Again, looking forward to tomorrow' night's game. I predict the winner of tomorrow's game will win the series.

Good night. :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

I thought the refs did a great job of letting them play, in the first period. Then they were horrible the rest of the way.

4 out of 6 semi finals across the province appear to be tight. Caledonia and Listowel will stay healthy and fresh and watch the other teams tire each other out.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Niagara Falls ties the series at 2 wins a piece. I think they'll win this, and give the Corvairs a harder time than some think.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Niagara falls seems to be playing better. I thought they deserved to win the first game aswell but thats just hockey. St kitts needs to step it up a bit because mooney will provide more offence. He IMO is one of the best defence in the league when he is skating up into the play. I think this series s going 7.

And about sitting Mcabe, i wouldn't agree with that. without Mcabe, Niagara Falls would get physically dominated and wouldn't have that good of a chance. No matter what people think of Mcabe he is an interesting player. he does have some skill but thats not what he's there for. He's there to stir the pot and hopefully draw penalties. He does have a presence on the ice when facing him. And a lot of the penalties he gets are pretty weak penalties but the NF coach has to expect he's gonna take some. He is very comparable to Jake Evans who played for st kitts. Draws penalties and will take quite a few. He can win you a game by drawing penalties or could lose you a game now and then. I would take the risk considering NF's offence but maybe thats just me
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Cali vairs! wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 pm Niagara falls seems to be playing better. I thought they deserved to win the first game aswell but thats just hockey. St kitts needs to step it up a bit because mooney will provide more offence. He IMO is one of the best defence in the league when he is skating up into the play. I think this series s going 7.

And about sitting Mcabe, i wouldn't agree with that. without Mcabe, Niagara Falls would get physically dominated and wouldn't have that good of a chance. No matter what people think of Mcabe he is an interesting player. he does have some skill but thats not what he's there for. He's there to stir the pot and hopefully draw penalties. He does have a presence on the ice when facing him. And a lot of the penalties he gets are pretty weak penalties but the NF coach has to expect he's gonna take some. He is very comparable to Jake Evans who played for st kitts. Draws penalties and will take quite a few. He can win you a game by drawing penalties or could lose you a game now and then. I would take the risk considering NF's offence but maybe thats just me
Hes the guy everyone hates to play against but would love on their team
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Great series either way, as most expected I think.

Falcons players appeared to be in a bit of a fog, a surreal one, after Patrick MacDonald was seriously injured during the game.

Appeared to be an accidental stick in to the face/visor area. Serious eye injury. Waiting on updates.

Falcons tried to battle back, tied things up at 4 when they looked like they were done. But the Canucks just didn't quit. And Wright finished them off, right after the Canucks killed off another PK.

Wishing the best for MacDonald. Certainly puts things into perspective, in the grand scheme of things.

Looking forward to the, now, 2 out of 3 series. Best of luck to both squads. Win or lose, it's been a great series to watch.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

That's a scary place to get a stick, hoping MacDonald is going to be ok. Something similar happened to a Corvair a few years ago. Quilty I think suffered a pretty bad eye injury.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Niagara Falls meltdown?

Looks like some costly penalties in the 2nd period stopped any chances of coming back in this game. Now they will need to win the next two games without Wright, he was assessed a match penalty. Not looking good for them. I see McCabe dropped the gloves... :shock:
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Port hockey1 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:52 pm Niagara Falls meltdown?

Looks like some costly penalties in the 2nd period stopped any chances of coming back in this game. Now they will need to win the next two games without Wright, he was assessed a match penalty. Not looking good for them. I see McCabe dropped the gloves... :shock:
I'm clearly a Falcon supporter, but I will say the reffing was very suspect. Some very weak calls against Niagara, that had them killing penalty after penalty.

That said, Wrights was a good call. Ran through Savory.
Welland Cougars

Was Johnstone up to his old tricks? Having McCabe out for a long shift before slipping his tough guy onto the ice to ask for a fight ? :smt014
BeenThereDoneThat

Enough of the chatter from people who probably were not there. #88 what were you thinking. Biggest game of the year for your team and you get a brain freeze. Absolutely no excuse for what you did. You let your team down. The Canucks played their brains out up until that point and the game could have gone either way .I know if you had to do it over again you probably would have taken a different path.
Refereeing was as usual , far below of what we expect but when you start hitting guys from behind and taking head shots at goalies, the refs are going to call you for it. Marinier and McCabe hit the ice at the same time in the third period and McCabe got the better of the two but the kid from the Falcons landed two good shots that McCabe is not soon to forget.

Game 6 on Sunday should be something you don't want to miss. Lets hope our discussions after that game are about what a great game it was.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:54 am #88 what were you thinking. Biggest game of the year for your team and you get a brain freeze. Absolutely no excuse for what you did. You let your team down.
Canuck parent posted a pic of the hit on Savory. Lacking a little bit of class, IMHO. Link is here, if anyone is questioning if it was the right call or not. I know you're not questioning it BTDT pic.twitter.com/zVavBEZ6Yi