How will the OHA deal with the Buffalo/Thorold embarrassments next year

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

How will the OHA deal with the Buffalo/Thorold embarrassments next year

Post by Port hockey1 »

I'll start with Buffalo;

Easily the worst team to ever pretend to be a Jr.B team in this league. They finished 1-47(not counting the forfeits). They only scored 56 goals, and gave up a whopping 536 goals. It's amazing that the league let this embarrassment to the OHA finish the season. Will they be allowed to return next season? If so, Why???

The OHA should be embarrassed that they went against the vote, and let them back this season in the first place. What is our commissioner doing to address this situation?

Here's a look at just how embarrassing that organization's ownership, and the OHA made the league look this season;

Buffalo was shutout: 20 times
Buffalo gave up 20 or more goals: 5 times(28 goals, twice)
Buffalo gave up 15 or more goals: 13 times
Buffalo gave up 10 or more goals: 23 times
Buffalo scored more than 1 goal in a game: 16 times

If this team is back next season, the OHA needs to give everyone an explanation. Not just a statement either, after allowing this to happen this season, they'd better have a damn good reason if they plan on bringing them back!

The Thorold situation;

What a total mess, and another embarrassment to the league. And the blame is completely on the owner's shoulders. They got rid of 7 regulars by the trade deadline. Others who were added mid-season were released as well.

But couldn't they actually try to come with an excuse, while they are lying about their situation? They have injuries & suspensions, welcome to hockey! They had a ton of kids Ap'd, so if they couldn't ice a full team, that's ownerships fault.
I'm glad the league stepped in and shut them down for the season.

They could see plain as day, what everyone else was seeing. They put the team up for sale and sold off their best talent in an attempt to make as much back as they can. Sorry, but that's not the way a organization works. You don't just sell your talent to make back money that has nothing to do with the kids sitting on the bench. Now over a dozen kids have lost their season, all because of greedy ownership! What did these kids pay for when they registered?... To get ripped off, and to lose their season?!

These guys are a disgrace. They thought they could just forfeit a few games, throw some kids together for a few more... All while not caring about the kids who signed with them because they promised they were building something. I guess making $$$ is all that matters to some, and at any cost.

It would be a shame to see such a great history gone, just like the Port Colborne Sailors... But with these currant owners in charge, letting them ice a team next year should come with sanctions. Such as any trades must be approved by the OHA, and there must be a good reason for said trade. Everything should be watched very closely.

But I personally think these guys need to get the boot! :smt100

Just my opinions above...
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Welland Cougars

Re: How will the OHA deal with the Buffalo/Thorold embarrassments next year

Post by Welland Cougars »

Alot of opinions for someone that has left the board.

Buffalo should be gone, Thorold will rebound.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Buffalo, Thorold and Pelham should all be gone along with a few others from the West and Mid-West. I hope the OHA cuts back to have 2- 10 team conferences. Lets get Jr.B hockey back to the level we enjoyed not too many years ago. Give me a league that has more teams like Caledonia, St.Catharines,Elmira, London, Chatham and LaSalle. Don't grant franchises just because some wealthy daddy's can put up money so there boy's can play.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'd like to see the league be able to cull a few teams and then do a realignment into 2 Conferences, possibly 2 Divisions each. I drew something up a couple weeks ago with 24 teams and both a 49 and 54 game schedule. Not sure it'll ever happen, but it could work.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Port hockey1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 pm I'll start with Buffalo;

Easily the worst team to ever pretend to be a Jr.B team in this league. They finished 1-47(not counting the forfeits). They only scored 56 goals, and gave up a whopping 536 goals. It's amazing that the league let this embarrassment to the OHA finish the season. Will they be allowed to return next season? If so, Why???

The OHA should be embarrassed that they went against the vote, and let them back this season in the first place. What is our commissioner doing to address this situation?

Here's a look at just how embarrassing that organization's ownership, and the OHA made the league look this season;

If this team is back next season, the OHA needs to give everyone an explanation. Not just a statement either, after allowing this to happen this season, they'd better have a damn good reason if they plan on bringing them back!

The Thorold situation;

What a total mess, and another embarrassment to the league. And the blame is completely on the owner's shoulders. They got rid of 7 regulars by the trade deadline. Others who were added mid-season were released as well.

But couldn't they actually try to come with an excuse, while they are lying about their situation? They have injuries & suspensions, welcome to hockey! They had a ton of kids Ap'd, so if they couldn't ice a full team, that's ownerships fault.

They could see plain as day, what everyone else was seeing. They put the team up for sale and sold off their best talent in an attempt to make as much back as they can. Sorry, but that's not the way a organization works. You don't just sell your talent to make back money that has nothing to do with the kids sitting on the bench. Now over a dozen kids have lost their season, all because of greedy ownership! What did these kids pay for when they registered?... To get ripped off, and to lose their season?!

These guys are a disgrace. They thought they could just forfeit a few games, throw some kids together for a few more... All while not caring about the kids who signed with them because they promised they were building something. I guess making $$$ is all that matters to some, and at any cost.

It would be a shame to see such a great history gone, just like the Port Colborne Sailors... But with these currant owners in charge, letting them ice a team next year should come with sanctions. Such as any trades must be approved by the OHA, and there must be a good reason for said trade. Everything should be watched very closely.

You know so much about the game of hockey why don't you take over Buffalo or Thorald? You make so many bold statements on here year after year let's see you run a team. Just my opinion
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

RocketGirl wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 pm I'd like to see the league be able to cull a few teams and then do a realignment into 2 Conferences, possibly 2 Divisions each. I drew something up a couple weeks ago with 24 teams and both a 49 and 54 game schedule. Not sure it'll ever happen, but it could work.
I would love to see that also but what teams do you get rid of? And where do they go to jr c ? Obviously Buff is a joke and need to go but who else goes? Would make for a good debate. Port will know the answer to all these questions I have.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

BillyTheKid wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:04 am
Port hockey1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 pm I'll start with Buffalo;

The Thorold situation;

You know so much about the game of hockey why don't you take over Buffalo or Thorald? You make so many bold statements on here year after year let's see you run a team. Just my opinion
This is a forum for opinions... Speaking of bold statements, you've left more than your share of them too. So maybe we should pick from a hat to see who gets to run Buffalo and who runs Thorold. :smt003
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

BillyTheKid wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:07 am
I would love to see that also but what teams do you get rid of? And where do they go to jr c ? Obviously Buff is a joke and need to go but who else goes? Would make for a good debate. Port will know the answer to all these questions I have.
I thought the Guelph Hurricanes would but " please note that Contrary to recent erroneous reports on social media ‎the Guelph Hurricanes Junior Hockey Club remain a vital and integral part of the GOJHL mid-west conference now and into the future" . Which is odd based on a single tweet haha. The owner of the Brampton Bombers who also owns the Fergus Devils, tried to move the Devils to Brampton to no avail. He could just try to drop/merge the Bombers with his Jr C team and then acquire the Blackhawks and move them to the GTA, but it's unlikely.

When the OJHL contracted itself, teams just merged into each other, like the Streetville Derbys (best logo IMHO hahaha) merged with the Cobourg Cougars. We could see that happen (Buffalo-For Erie, Pelham-Welland, Thorold-St. Catherines, Lambton Shores-Sarnia, Guelph-Cambridge).

Odds are, nothing will happen
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

BillyTheKid wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:07 amI would love to see that also but what teams do you get rid of? And where do they go to jr c ? Obviously Buff is a joke and need to go but who else goes? Would make for a good debate. Port will know the answer to all these questions I have.
I'd say Lambton Shores because they've done nothing in their existence, they've missed the play-offs more than they've made them in the decade they've been around. I'd also say Brampton because they haven't exactly proven themselves either.

The argument could be made for Pelham and Brantford, but I feel that Pelham has improved, so we need to give them a chance, and Brantford hasn't had enough time to prove themselves.

I've also heard the possibility of a team or 2 looking to move up too.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

All I hope is that the league puts measures in place... checks and balances... so that what happened in Thorold never happens again.

At least I know now why Thorold never got that Club 90 Member for its operations... notice a few other GOJHL teams are absent as well...

http://www.oha.pointstreaksites.com/vie ... ha-club-90