Thorold Blackhawks.

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

hockeynutusa

Re: Thorold Blackhawks.

Post by hockeynutusa »

Vairs61 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:19 am So will they be back next year, or are they out for good?
Here is the official word from the OHA.

http://www.ohahockey.ca/files/uploaded_ ... cision.pdf
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017 ... yoff-field

"Posed a threat to player safety" How but Buffalo this question was being ask all year.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

From Darryl Smart, who writes for a few different papers.

http://m.sachem.ca/sports-story/7145276 ... put-on-ice
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

When the Blackhawks season ended, they had 18 players on the roster. They had 21 APs between its junior and minor hockey affiliates.

One source within the league, who preferred to remain anonymous, said the Blackhawks had at least one AP in the lineup for a game he did not play in. It wasn’t the first time that happened, the source said.

“They’ve even had a game where they played with too many APs,” the source said. “It’s sad to see. But when you have that many APs in a game, something is wrong. It’s about more than breaking the rules.”
I thought that part of the article was very interesting. As was;
Another issue with the Blackhawks has been the team’s transaction record.

At and near the OHA trade deadline, the Blackhawks went on what looked like a purge. They sent Jacob Buch to the Elmira Sugar Kings, Jake Lloyd to the Falcons, released Francesco Gigliotti, sent Griffin Roubos to the Corvairs, Brendan D’Agostino to the Chatham Maroons, and Cal Davis to the Ontario Hockey League’s Kingston Frontenacs.

In most GOJHL or OHA transactions, especially those not involving an exchange of players, money is involved in the deal. One rumour swirling around hockey circles was that the league and OHA had concerns over the amount of transactions the Blackhawks made.
This reporter is the best in the Shoe, easily. He's the only one who's interested in printing facts, and actually does some digging. There's a couple of South Niagara reporters who constantly have to put a 'positive' spin on everything they write about the teams they cover. Seems like they are afraid to step on any toes. Great job Mr.Smart. :smt023
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

He said that "it wasn't fair to the players and fans if they iced a team that was not competitive," hell, Buffalo does it every night!! lol
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

Well this just got interesting. Via Darryl Smart on Twitter, both Niagara Falls and Pelham filed and won protests of a game each against Thorold for an illegal player. The 2 points Niagara Falls gets leaps them over Ancaster in the standings, and they have a game in hand too.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

That article by Mr.Smart probably played a role. Interesting that these teams noticed shortly after it was mentioned that Thorold had too many AP's for at least one game. Glad they filed, and won appeals. The rules are the rules. Something similar happened a few years ago when the Falcons used too many imports for a game. It cost them first place in the standings, and led to quite the debate. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
CC1

Post by CC1 »

The writing was on the wall after they traded their top players Jan 10th. At the time, I likened it to a "fire sale" and red flags were raised then. Really too bad and hope they can get an owner next year that can bring them back.
nfnucks99

Post by nfnucks99 »

Anyone know what's going on with thorold?
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

Blackhawks have been sold. Dotting i's and crossing t's this week to finalize . Could be announced at OHA AGM or shortly after that meeting. Hope that this failed rich daddy ownership, acts as a reminder to others with similar dreams, that this way most frequently ends in disaster.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Hopefully it serves as a reminder to not only daddy owners...but baseball owners as well! :D
nfnucks99

Post by nfnucks99 »

Will they remain in Thorold?
BeenThereDoneThat

Don't know for sure but because of Thorold's past history( before current ownership) I assume the OHA and the GHL would both prefer the franchise remain there.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

Logistically, it would be the most business-smart and hockey-smart thing to do!

But you also need to get Cambridge back into the fold with, or without, Joe Machado at the helm.

Then, dump Buffalo! I will pay out of pocket the registration fee the OHA would be missing out on but for me, the credibility of the league trumps (no pun intended) any decisions the OHA would like to force upon the league.

At the end of the day, this league needs to stand up and set their own course! But the decisions and roads you want to take cannot be geared on making your teams "more valuable"! Players don't give a sh*t about the value of your team. What they care about is whether or not the league can supply them with opportunities for exposure!

Drop the crap and semantics about an "A"! It ain't happening. And yes, I know that players are being lost because kids want to go where the "A" is. I call BS. Build a league that addresses the needs of today's players and there will be no need for them to leave. I could have more than a handful of NCAA guys and ex-players in the game come and explain it to them if they want! But hey, CW never returns emails.
BeenThereDoneThat

I agree with most of your comments but not all of them. I believe that there certain owners that only want the "A" designation to increase the value of their franchises but the majority of the owners want it to put them on a level playing field with the Tier 2 group. Player transfers value ($$) , coming and going , advertising, scout recognition, not to be considered a feeder group for Tier 2 by the OHA, being treated as an equal by the governing body of the OHA and one day have the GOJHL compete for a National Title.
If Chuck doesn't respond to your emails maybe it would be an idea to contact the individual owners and make your proposals to them on improving their product. You seem to know what you are talking about and have experienced the Jr. Hockey experience. Who knows, you may get hired as the league's PR person, which this league so desperately needs.
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I just PM'ed you a response.
gojhlrules

Post by gojhlrules »

Does anyone know if Thorold in or out for this up coming season?
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I have heard through unnamed sources that the OHA is looking to handpick new owners. Regardless, I think the obvious needs to be accepted that both Thorold and Cambridge will be inactive for the coming season. Anything other than that I consider a half-assed attempt by the OHA to yet again assert themselves but at the same time show how inept and useless they are!
arcprohd

Post by arcprohd »

Geez... 8 teams in 2 conferences. Woohoo! Either the first round bye comes to Jr. B again for all teams make the playoffs.

Sad times in Cambridge and Thorold indeed.
nfnucks99

Post by nfnucks99 »

So is Thorold 100% not going to have a team next year?
FrozenPonds

Post by FrozenPonds »

I would, unfortunately have to say that it is a no-go. Considering they have lost all players from last year and have cancelled their spring camp, icing a team that may be on the levels of the Regals should not be accepted and would do a disservice to this franchise. I would take the year off, if granted, get everything in order and come back with a blast next year!

But i have been wrong before with this league so who knows!

On another note, congrats to Mark Bell on his hiring by the Phoenix Coyotes as a member of the Player Development and scouting departments! Just proves that there is some good talent in this league not only on the ice!!
gojhlrules

Post by gojhlrules »

From the Brampton website

Preseason Match-ups

A majority of the exhibition schedule for the Brampton Bombers is finalized.

The Bomb Squad will engage in a home and home series with both the Fort Erie Meteors and Ancaster Avalanche.

The Junior ‘B’ squad will also take part in a tournament hosted by the Niagara Falls Canucks at the end of August.

Here’s the schedule:

Wed Aug 23rd vs. Ancaster Avalanche (8pm South Fletchers)
Fri Aug 25th vs. Thorold Blackhawks (7:30pm @ Niagara)
Sat Aug 26th vs. Caledonia Corvairs (12:30pm @ Niagara)
Sun Aug 27th vs. Welland Canadiens (11:00am @ Niagara)
Wed Aug 30th vs. Fort Erie Meteors (8pm South Fletchers)

The road matchups against the Avalanche and Meteors will be announced soon.
Looks Like Thorold might be in.
nfnucks99

Post by nfnucks99 »

Has Thorold switched ownership?
nfnucks99

Post by nfnucks99 »

Just saw that on Pelhams twitter that Scott Barnes is the new owner.
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Can confirm Thorold is in and Barnes is new owner yes.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »