Best goalie

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Port hockey1

Best goalie

Post by Port hockey1 »

Any thoughts? Some will say Dentico in the Falls, some will say McCorriston in Welland... I say it's Oude Vashaar in Buffalo.

The kids been hung out to dry all season long, but he keeps going out there and battling. He's given up 7-8 goals while still having an amazing start several times this season.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
GOJHLfan1

Re: Best goalie

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Would love to see Oude Vashaar on a competitive team see what he can do. Its just like Harvey on Pelham last year played outstanding but the team in front of him was horrible. McCorriston would definitely be right at the top of the list as well. Dentico? I wouldnt put him in top 3-5.
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Port hockey1 wrote:Any thoughts? Some will say Dentico in the Falls, some will say McCorriston in Welland... I say it's Oude Vashaar in Buffalo.

The kids been hung out to dry all season long, but he keeps going out there and battling. He's given up 7-8 goals while still having an amazing start several times this season.
I've only seen him play a bit at the showcase, but, he roughly faces a shot per minute, a little less than the 1.5 shots per minute with Harvey last year.

Savory's save percentage is pretty good, he had .906 SV% last year on a team that didn't make the playoffs.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Well, I won't comment on Savory for obvious reasons...other than saying, he has to be considered 'one of the best' in the league.

McCorriston, for sure!

Neither Canucks goalies, would I put at the top.

I haven't seen Savard enough in Caledonia, but he's got two wins against the Falcons where he was very strong in those two games. His stats would likely be better than Savory if Caledonia didn't have the luxury of being able to play their back up more than St Catharines are able to play theirs.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Savory has to be in the conversation for sure. Has had a great season.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Idk about savoury. He seems like a average goalie with likely the strongest defence In front of him. In my mind it is mcmorriston. Savard has to be considered but again there is the problem of a pretty good D core in front of him. A lot of really good goalies
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Cali vairs! wrote:Idk about savoury. He seems like a average goalie with likely the strongest defence In front of him. In my mind it is mcmorriston. Savard has to be considered but again there is the problem of a pretty good D core in front of him. A lot of really good goalies
I LOL...thinking about the argument, Bullard considered best coach, but doesn't matter that he's had great teams in front of him. But Savard can't be considered the best, because he has great D in front of him? :shock: (and I'm not being argumentative, just making a point :D )

I think Savard is up there, as is Savory. Savory and Savard match ups have been classics. And yes, both the Corvairs and Falcons have great D..but each team has had great looks at the opponents goalie, where the keepers have come up big.

To say Savory 'seems like a average goalie' is a bit of an insult. I'd say the lesser goalies in the league, are average. Savory has big stats. Great D or not. Look at his numbers. The best? Maybe not. Average? Hardly.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Look at Harvey coming to the Midwest and being essentially average - same with in Caledonia.

For me, it's Reinhart in the Midwest.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

ILuvHackey wrote:Look at Harvey coming to the Midwest and being essentially average - same with in Caledonia.

For me, it's Reinhart in the Midwest.
This is the Golden Horseshoe Forum. There talking about goalies in the Shoe. Your right Reinhart is one of the best in the GOJHL maybe the best.
I do agree with you about Harvey maybe its the pressure of playing on better teams he's struggling with.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

I've seen to few games in the West and mid-West to comment on their goalies. I've seen numerous games In Welland, Niagara Falls, St. Catharines and Caledonia and I would have to say that Savory is without a doubt the best goalie in the Shoe. For anyone to say he's just average is insane. I take nothing away from the other mentioned goalies in the Shoe, they are all better than average goalies. I would take any one of them on my team but Savory would be my first pick. Savard would be my next choice.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

To me savory isn't the best. I only say that because he i haven't seen him get tested. St kitts is easily the best defensive team in my mind. They don't let a lot of good chances for the other team. There is a lot of bad shots for easy saves. Only saying that from what I have seen. Savard has been solid in the net. But he hasn't really been tested a lot. There has been 3 games against st kitts in which he has played. Both are good goalies don't get me wrong but so far I haven't seen enough out of them. Mcmorriston to me is the best. Playing on a pretty bad team and still keeping them in most games. Just because one goalie has great numbers doesn't mean he is the best.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Cali vairs! wrote: Mcmorriston to me is the best. Playing on a pretty bad team and still keeping them in most games. Just because one goalie has great numbers doesn't mean he is the best.
And he's only a '98!!!
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

That's insane.he will be the backbone of that team for a couple more years if he stays around. Filling in nicely for Janzen
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:That's insane.he will be the backbone of that team for a couple more years if he stays around. Filling in nicely for Janzen

That's what concerns me, Trenton will probably be an option for him next season...
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Cali vairs! wrote:That's insane.he will be the backbone of that team for a couple more years if he stays around. Filling in nicely for Janzen

That's what concerns me, Trenton will probably be an option for him next season...
I noticed he didn't play for Welland tonight?! Didn't dress. Not sure why.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

And Savard seemed to have an off night tonight against Ancaster. Caledonia pulled it off late in double OT after Savard let four in before being pulled. They all have an off night. Goalies are human too. :mrgreen:
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

StCathFalcons wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:

I noticed he didn't play for Welland tonight?! Didn't dress. Not sure why.
Someone on Fort Erie cross checked a Welland player into him late in the game Saturday night and he left. Injured.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Yea savard just wasn't on his game tonight. Didn't have a lot of help defensively. Chanard came in and played really well. His first 2 shots against were a breakaway and a 2 on 1. Makes it interesting who they will start Saturday. Don't really think either of the two are backups
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:Someone on Fort Erie cross checked a Welland player into him late in the game Saturday night and he left. Injured.
Oh man....that's a tough loss. Hopefully he's back soon. Hate facing him, but love watching him.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

This is a easy pick for me. The best goalie in the Shoe right now is St Kitts (97) Owen Savory.
Fraser Kirk (97) Adam Dentico (96) Brandon McCorristion (98) Shayne Battler (98) Mackenzie Savard (97) are all good starting goalies for there teams but Owen Savory is the best so far.We got some good looking young goalies to Daniel Chenard (99) Justin Vertesi (99) Graham Dynes (98) and Blair Coffin (00)
Don't no where Mathew Blattenberger (96) fits in but I think Thorold should pick a number one it's hard when you got to veteran goalies.

One think the GOJHL is great at is developing goalies. It's the perfect league for goaltenders. Here's a list of goalies that moved on . That play in the GOJHL last year. Just talking about last year.

Tyler Wall - U MASS-LOWELL 12GP 2.09 .933 NEW YORK RANGER DRAFT PICK
Chrisitan Propp - BARRIE COLTS 12 GP 4.15
Riley Daniels - 6 gp 3.32 OWEN SOUND ATTACK
Cole Ceci - 7GP 3.66 Hamilton BULLDOGS
Connor Hughes -CCHL 25gp 2.43 Carleton Place Canadains
Mark Sinclair - BCHL 21 GP 2.46 CHILLWACK CHIEFS
From the OJHL
Chris Janzen (TRE) 22GP 1.95
Joseph Murdaca (TRE) 5GP 2.20
Josh Astorino (GEO) 19GP 1.98
Cosimo Lazzarino (STM) 21gp 2.29
Cam Grey (TLP) 12GP 3.09
Tyler Fassi (TLP) 11GP 3.34
Brayden Lachance (AUR) 23GP 4.14
Will Rawski (MLT) 15GP 4.39
There's got to be more its hard to get them all.
And a lot of these goaltenders are the best in there leagues.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

StCathFalcons wrote:
GOJHLfan1 wrote:Someone on Fort Erie cross checked a Welland player into him late in the game Saturday night and he left. Injured.
Oh man....that's a tough loss. Hopefully he's back soon. Hate facing him, but love watching him.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2016/1 ... gher-level

This could be a good test for Coffin if McCorriston can't go. A another good young goalie honing his skill in the GOJHL.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Cali vairs! wrote:Yea savard just wasn't on his game tonight. Didn't have a lot of help defensively. Chanard came in and played really well. His first 2 shots against were a breakaway and a 2 on 1. Makes it interesting who they will start Saturday. Don't really think either of the two are backups
They're all human....Although Savory made 35 saves, he still let an 'average' Meteors team score four. Like Savard, hoping it was just an off night.

Two of four goals, were on FE's PP. Nine powerplays...Falcons cannot be doing that against many teams.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Fort Erie has been playing better lately.
Just wonder what happen in the second period. Looks like it got pretty chippy.
Looks like Grouin (16 year old ) went after Main (20 year old )you see this a lot, nothing wrong with this.
But what I hate is if the 20 year old hurts the 16 year old the bleeding hearts come out.
But if the 16 year old hurts the 20 year old you get cheers from there home crowd
Savory did stop 39 shots

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... er-meteors

http://pointstreak.com/prostats/boxscor ... id=2928736
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Fort Erie has been playing better lately.Agreed, definitely playing better. But Falcons still shouldn't be letting 4 goals against
Just wonder what happen in the second period. Looks like it got pretty chippy.Refs, like always. Horrible calls (both ways), then let things get out of hand.
Looks like Grouin (16 year old ) went after Main (20 year old )you see this a lot, nothing wrong with this.Agreed, and yes. Main was not looking for it. Just wasn't walking away.
But what I hate is if the 20 year old hurts the 16 year old the bleeding hearts come out.
But if the 16 year old hurts the 20 year old you get cheers from there home crowd
Savory did stop 39 shots Saw 39, stopped 35. ;-)

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... er-meteors

http://pointstreak.com/prostats/boxscor ... id=2928736
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:
StCathFalcons wrote:

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2016/1 ... gher-level

This could be a good test for Coffin if McCorriston can't go. A another good young goalie honing his skill in the GOJHL.
Coffin got hurt last night as well, left the game. Welland is off till Saturday. Should be interesting if neither him or McCorriston can go.
Red blacks

Post by Red blacks »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:Would love to see Oude Vashaar on a competitive team see what he can do. Its just like Harvey on Pelham last year played outstanding but the team in front of him was horrible. McCorriston would definitely be right at the top of the list as well. Dentico? I wouldnt put him in top 3-5.
I guess we are going to find out fairly soon what he can do on a competitive team as he was backup for the falcons tonight in welland
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Red blacks wrote:
GOJHLfan1 wrote:Would love to see Oude Vashaar on a competitive team see what he can do. Its just like Harvey on Pelham last year played outstanding but the team in front of him was horrible. McCorriston would definitely be right at the top of the list as well. Dentico? I wouldnt put him in top 3-5.
I guess we are going to find out fairly soon what he can do on a competitive team as he was backup for the falcons tonight in welland
First start could be against his former team on Tuesday. :shock:
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

I'm surprised he didn't start tonight. He will give a real good challenge for the number 1 spot
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:I'm surprised he didn't start tonight. He will give a real good challenge for the number 1 spot
Hope for the best for him but I wouldnt get hopes up. He may struggle seeing how he wont be seeing 80 shots a night when he plays. Unless he only plays Buffalo then shouldnt be a problem.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

GOJHLfan1 wrote:
Cali vairs! wrote:I'm surprised he didn't start tonight. He will give a real good challenge for the number 1 spot
Hope for the best for him but I wouldnt get hopes up. He may struggle seeing how he wont be seeing 80 shots a night when he plays. Unless he only plays Buffalo then shouldnt be a problem.
I don't think the Falcons grabbed him to be a #1, when Savory is as strong as he is for them. Pretty sure it's more of a strengthening up the backup role, and not have to worry (as much).

Slobo had a strong record, but played against weaker teams and seemed to struggle with many shots. Still very young, but IMHO, would not have been able to carry the Falcons if anything temporary (or long term) happened to Savory.