Buffalo and Imports

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

RocketGirl

Buffalo and Imports

Post by RocketGirl »

I received an email this morning asking me about the import rule and the Buffalo Regals and I honestly don't know the answer.

I have been googling my butt off trying to find out how many Canadians the Buffalo Regals can take. I have come to you because of an article you wrote a few years back regarding imports. I was under the assumption that since Buffalo is in the GOJ that they would have specific drawing areas and rules similar to other teams in the Conference. Is this correct? Or do they have some funky association with USA hockey which only allows them to take a set number of Canadians.

I'd like to think that they would be under the same rules as the rest of us, but USA Hockey does have their own rules. I was also informed this morning that there is a Hockey Canada rule that you can only have so many Americans on a team, so I think it's safe to assume USA Hockey has a similar rule.

If anyone knows the answer, or knows where to find it, please let me know so I can pass it along.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
ILuvHackey

Re: Buffalo and Imports

Post by ILuvHackey »

The rule is 7 imports I believe? Imports are only those who are outside the entire GOJHL footprint, so they should be able to have as many Canadians as they want.

Now do the other GOJHL teams have the ability to have as many Buffalo kids as they want, but all other Americans are imports?
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I know what the import rule is, and it's actually 9, you can only dress 7 in a game. The question is, how does it apply to Buffalo and does USA Hockey have a rule stating that they can only have X number of Canadians on their team?

I'd like to believe that they can sign any Canadian in the boundaries of the GOJHL as a non-import, but does USA Hockey have a rule governing how many Canadians they can have on their team? To prevent them from having an all Canadian team, just as we have rules about how many Americans can be signed.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
BeenThereDoneThat

Post by BeenThereDoneThat »

I was of the understanding that US Hockey allowed them 2 Canadians. However last night against Ancaster they dressed 4 Canadians. They are,as follows Justus Trembly, Nia.Falls Can, Kodle Oude Vashaar, Kitchener, Jessie Mulholland, Stevensville and Brendon Bouvier, Nia Falls Can.

Trembly and Bouvier were early cuts from the Jr.C Riverhawks. :smt017
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

BeenThereDoneThat wrote:I was of the understanding that US Hockey allowed them 2 Canadians. However last night against Ancaster they dressed 4 Canadians. They are,as follows Justus Trembly, Nia.Falls Can, Kodle Oude Vashaar, Kitchener, Jessie Mulholland, Stevensville and Brendon Bouvier, Nia Falls Can.

Trembly and Bouvier were early cuts from the Jr.C Riverhawks. :smt017
Bouvier was out with Welland as well
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

They should have the same drawing area as the rest of the teams. The rest of the teams should be able to draw from the Buffalo area as well.

But as was mentioned above, we have two governing bodies here with rules that must be followed. So it looks like Buffalo is in a different situation than the rest of the GOJHL. Canada & the USA should have an agreement for this situation.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
puckcoach

Post by puckcoach »

So I have been out of town but I made a few calls and here is what I found out. You are correct with the governing body issue, the Regals have two that they need to satisfy. USA hockey only allows 3 Canadian players on their protected roster. So any more than the 3 players can not be protected from a JR stand point. Hockey Canada says that they can have a max of seven players on the roster. It is my understanding that they plan to be at that limit in the next two weeks. I am travelling for work and was unable to see the game but the result against Ancaster was much better and they were even leading after the 1st. It looks like they are doing what they can to improve.
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

The joke of a hockey club across the boarder gets beat by Pelham 7-0 tonight. They have 3 former Niagara Whalers players who couldn't make a Jr. C team. Everyone thought they would get better, although they have added some bodies, I'm not sure if those bodies are living. The OHA has sacrificed the integrity of the league so that they could get their team fees. Shame on you and someone in that office should be fired.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote:The joke of a hockey club across the boarder gets beat by Pelham 7-0 tonight. They have 3 former Niagara Whalers players who couldn't make a Jr. C team. Everyone thought they would get better, although they have added some bodies, I'm not sure if those bodies are living. The OHA has sacrificed the integrity of the league so that they could get their team fees. Shame on you and someone in that office should be fired.
The Whalers are a top team in their league, hardly a Jr.C team. I get what you are saying though.

And what happened during that fight? Looks like the backup goalie for Buffalo jumped in...?
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

I said the three players couldn't make a Jr. C team. Two of them were not even good players at the Midget A and B levels. The other played for the Whalers two seasons ago, but didn't see much ice as the season progressed. Not sure about the fight. Not sure how Tremblay could receive 14 minutes and then get into a fight 2 minutes later. Would you expect anything better from a scorekeeper in Pelham?? lol