Golden Horseshoe lacks offence

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Caledonia Fan

Golden Horseshoe lacks offence

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Forget about 30 or 40 goal scorers. I don't see that many 20 goal scores this year. That goes for Caledonia and St Catharines to.
The only thing helping any goal scoring is it's such a weak conference. There's Caledonia and St Catharines and all the rest will struggle to score.
All teams including Caledonia and St Catharihes is looking for there 16 and 17 to do a lot of scoring.
GOJHLfan1

Re: Golden Horseshoe lacks offence

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Totally agree
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Forget about 30 or 40 goal scorers. I don't see that many 20 goal scores this year. That goes for Caledonia and St Catharines to.
The only thing helping any goal scoring is it's such a weak conference. There's Caledonia and St Catharines and all the rest will struggle to score.
All teams including Caledonia and St Catharihes is looking for there 16 and 17 to do a lot of scoring.

There will be a few 40 goal scorers. The lack of offense will lead to more goals for the natural scorers.

I remember a year where the division leader in goals only had 22. That was Hedden of Thorold.(or Headden)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Another long season ahead for Pelham

Lost 6-1 to St.Marys and only managed to get 17 shots on goal. :oops: :oops:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
CC1

Post by CC1 »

And then there is the 18 shots on net by Caledonia in their loss to Stratford....
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

I thought Kitchener was going to be the team in the Mid-West, but what I saw this weekend says Stratford might be the team to beat in the league. They are big, fast and mean.
Pro-FitRocks

Post by Pro-FitRocks »

Yes Stratford is forming the Sutherland Cup PARADE Committee at the next Board of Directors meeting. :D
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

CC1 wrote:And then there is the 18 shots on net by Caledonia in their loss to Stratford....
Um... What's that have to do with this? Pelham was playing the worst team from the West and still got thumped. What does a top team from the Mid-West holding a youthful Caledonia team to 18 shots have to do with this?

Seem's like a completely different scenario. :roll:
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

I'd agree that there's no comparing those two circumstances, but let's not be calling Caledonia "youthful".

That's still an old team. 2nd oldest in the league by average age behind Thorold.
OHAHockeyFan

Post by OHAHockeyFan »

14 x 19 or 20 year olds isn't exactly youthful....

The Stratford team that beat them was younger

The more you know...
CC1

Post by CC1 »

Um, port, what made you think I was talking to you? Check out the subject title of this thread :roll:
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Stratford looked really good. Dominated Caledonia for most of the game other then the first couple minutes of 3rd where Cally came out flying. Should have tied game in first minute but referees said the one didnt go in. Looked bar down and in to me but on the play went.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

OHAHockeyFan wrote:14 x 19 or 20 year olds isn't exactly youthful....

The Stratford team that beat them was younger

The more you know...
Caledonia has several young players this season. It isn't easy for a team to only return 4-5 players and be a force. They added a few ex OHL players, players who look to be there for their size and aggressive playing style. Those kids won't be leading the league in points by any means.

And yes they added a few kids from the OJHL... Just like several other teams did. This Caledonia team is a lot different than the team's of the previous two years. They're relying on depth & youth to get the job done.

Maybe they are an older team than Stratford... But Stratford's built to win now. Caledonia's built to compete and be in every game. I'm sure they'll contend for first place again, but my main point was all of the hard working teams will have a legit shot at winning when they play Caledonia this season.

The comment I replied to appeared to insinuate that Caledonia's some sort of big & better team than everyone else. And that certainly isn't the case this season.(That's how I took the comment anyways) :)
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

Everyone in the Shoe will score 20 goals if they have to play Buffalo six times. Why did they let them back in the league? If the OHA had any balls they would kick them out now and re-do the schedule (which they should have done to Pelham last season). You might get 10 people in your rink when you play them, so why would any of the teams in the league want them! Yes Port, even Pelham might win a few games this season since they get to play Buffalo. Both teams are jokes!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote:Everyone in the Shoe will score 20 goals if they have to play Buffalo six times. Why did they let them back in the league? If the OHA had any balls they would kick them out now and re-do the schedule (which they should have done to Pelham last season). You might get 10 people in your rink when you play them, so why would any of the teams in the league want them! Yes Port, even Pelham might win a few games this season since they get to play Buffalo. Both teams are jokes!
Just proves what a joke this league's front office is. First they wan't to be classified as Jr.A, yet they allow Pelham to continue icing team's that can't even skate with the worst team from the West... And to top things off, they bring back a Buffalo franchise that's so bad they'll likely surrender 25+ goals several times this year! Just imagine what last years Corvairs would've done to them.
ILuvHackey

Post by ILuvHackey »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Canuckalhead wrote:Everyone in the Shoe will score 20 goals if they have to play Buffalo six times. Why did they let them back in the league? If the OHA had any balls they would kick them out now and re-do the schedule (which they should have done to Pelham last season). You might get 10 people in your rink when you play them, so why would any of the teams in the league want them! Yes Port, even Pelham might win a few games this season since they get to play Buffalo. Both teams are jokes!
Just proves what a joke this league's front office is. First they wan't to be classified as Jr.A, yet they allow Pelham to continue icing team's that can't even skate with the worst team from the West... And to top things off, they bring back a Buffalo franchise that's so bad they'll likely surrender 25+ goals several times this year! Just imagine what last years Corvairs would've done to them.
Has nothing to do with the GOJHL. They voted them out.

The OHA forced a lot of this upon the league. The same OHA trying to keep them Jr. B. This is a way for them to keep the league back, in my opinion.
puckcoach

Post by puckcoach »

You are absolutely right in your assessment of the Regals, things are going to be bad this year. The problem is the league helped put them in this situation with not approving them until 3 weeks before the 1st game. How could anyone possibly put a quality team together from scratch in that short of time. There are plenty of quality players in Buffalo but they all went elsewhere while the team waited on the final decision. If they can find a way do do things right and recruit for next season I think things will get better in a year or two. There is too much talent there not to field a decent team.

In the past cost was a major issue, they were charging over $6,000 and everyone else was free or close to it. Players from the Buffalo area would head elsewhere for that reason alone. With that gap closed it should be easier to convince players to stay home. If you look at the Regals Organization as a whole they fair pretty well and have even had success in the SCTA at a few age groups, I know things have been more difficult since the split with the Jr. Sabres but they do field quality teams top to bottom.

Yes, this year will be very difficult and ugly, and I feel for the kids that will have to endure it but hopefully things get better next season. If they don't I agree with you that they should be booted from the league it would only make sense.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

ILuvHackey wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
Has nothing to do with the GOJHL. They voted them out.

The OHA forced a lot of this upon the league. The same OHA trying to keep them Jr. B. This is a way for them to keep the league back, in my opinion.
The OHA isn't making many friends. My mistake, I was under the impression that the GOJHL front office wanted Buffalo back, and that wouldn't be a bad thing... If they were able to compete.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

puckcoach wrote:You are absolutely right in your assessment of the Regals, things are going to be bad this year. The problem is the league helped put them in this situation with not approving them until 3 weeks before the 1st game. How could anyone possibly put a quality team together from scratch in that short of time. There are plenty of quality players in Buffalo but they all went elsewhere while the team waited on the final decision. If they can find a way do do things right and recruit for next season I think things will get better in a year or two. There is too much talent there not to field a decent team.

In the past cost was a major issue, they were charging over $6,000 and everyone else was free or close to it. Players from the Buffalo area would head elsewhere for that reason alone. With that gap closed it should be easier to convince players to stay home. If you look at the Regals Organization as a whole they fair pretty well and have even had success in the SCTA at a few age groups, I know things have been more difficult since the split with the Jr. Sabres but they do field quality teams top to bottom.

Yes, this year will be very difficult and ugly, and I feel for the kids that will have to endure it but hopefully things get better next season. If they don't I agree with you that they should be booted from the league it would only make sense.
Only having three weeks is a very fair point. But even in that short time frame, they couldn't import a few kids to play on a top line? Or maybe they'll be able to add a few talented kids yet to make things a little better.

But in the past they've had some very bad teams. That's what makes me ask how things will be different this time. I mean they knew about the costs last time when they first started as Wheatfield. But even knowing that much, they still kept saying how their team would surprise a lot of our teams. They kept saying the costs wouldn't be an issue and that they would compete.

The past is what makes me very sketchy. But here's to hoping they're going to turn the corner. :)
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I'm not sure I buy the 3 week excuse. While we were all sitting here waiting for the schedule to come out, knowing the issue was Buffalo, they were still advertising skates and tryouts for the team.

Also, I was told over the weekend that some of the teams have tried to send them players, knowing they're having issues, and they won't take them unless they're American. Was told they want a complete US lineup, which is their prerogative.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

RocketGirl wrote:I'm not sure I buy the 3 week excuse. While we were all sitting here waiting for the schedule to come out, knowing the issue was Buffalo, they were still advertising skates and tryouts for the team.

Also, I was told over the weekend that some of the teams have tried to send them players, knowing they're having issues, and they won't take them unless they're American. Was told they want a complete US lineup, which is their prerogative.
This is exactly what I mean. They've promised to be competitive since they first joined the league. Then here they are struggling to fill a roster, yet they're being picky about where their players are from. That, and proving that they don't care about their on ice product to the teams that very generously were willing to help them out.
jax

Post by jax »

There is at least one canadian skating for buffalo, so not sure if that last fact is accurate?
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

Two former Niagara Whalers on the Buffalo team that couldn't even make a Jr. C team (both Canadian)
RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl »

I guess that part was false, it was just something I had heard.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
puckcoach

Post by puckcoach »

I was at the rink last night in Buffalo for my sons practice and talked to the several people well aware of the Regals Jr team situation, I can assure you that they are willing to take players from anywhere that would help the team improve. I think they currently have 4 Canadians on the roster, and while the they were having skates prior to receiving the approval. They were unable to get anyone to commit given what happened the two years prior, players walked and signed with other teams leaving them with few options. I was also told that they offered a couple more Canadian player but the balked at the $3500. I hope that they can pick up a few players along the way or things will only get worse.
puckcoach

Post by puckcoach »

I would also like to say that I know for a fact that the uncertainty of the approval played a pivotal role in the results of the team. My son is a Junior aged player and was asked to sign with the Regals along with 5 other players that I coached at 18UAAA two seasons ago. All of them were 96 or 97 birth years. They all sat in the room and had real interest in playing on the team, but were all scared that the team would be declined entry into the league and they all signed with other Junior teams. These were 6 quality players with Junior Hockey experience, some with GOJHL experience. So this is what you are left with, I do think that they will do everything in their power to get better and compete next season, if they can make it through this one of course.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

puckcoach wrote:I would also like to say that I know for a fact that the uncertainty of the approval played a pivotal role in the results of the team. My son is a Junior aged player and was asked to sign with the Regals along with 5 other players that I coached at 18UAAA two seasons ago. All of them were 96 or 97 birth years. They all sat in the room and had real interest in playing on the team, but were all scared that the team would be declined entry into the league and they all signed with other Junior teams. These were 6 quality players with Junior Hockey experience, some with GOJHL experience. So this is what you are left with, I do think that they will do everything in their power to get better and compete next season, if they can make it through this one of course.
Thanks for the updates. It's nice having someone on the know out of Buffalo. If they plan on bettering themselves over time, then I don't see why they can't play this season out. Even if they lose every game by 10+ goals. The league lets Pelham continue to ice garbage teams every season. So there shouldn't be any complaining about letting Buffalo work through this mess.

However, I think everyone will be looking at them all season & going into next season to see what kind of efforts are being made. If they scrape through this season and add some kids next year in order to start a re-build, that should be more than acceptable.

Please keep us updated puckcoach. :)
jax

Post by jax »

38 goals scored last night in 4 games..long season for a few teams. Looks like a two horse race again.
Canuckalhead

Post by Canuckalhead »

From the St. Catharines Standard last night: "The Blades showed up with one goaltender, 10 skaters, no training staff, and the outcome was predicable."
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Canuckalhead wrote:From the St. Catharines Standard last night: "The Blades showed up with one goaltender, 10 skaters, no training staff, and the outcome was predicable."
They also said the goalie was clearly playing injured.