Thorold Blackhawks

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Post Reply
Caledonia Fan
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 pm

Big loss to Thorold Josh Astorino signs with Georgetown Raiders. But I guess that's development.




User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Caledonia Fan wrote:Big loss to Thorold Josh Astorino signs with Georgetown Raiders. But I guess that's development.
Yeah... development... :lol:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

nfnucks99
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by nfnucks99 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:22 am

Port hockey1 wrote:
Caledonia Fan wrote:Big loss to Thorold Josh Astorino signs with Georgetown Raiders. But I guess that's development.
Yeah... development... :lol:
Does Thorold not develop players?

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:58 pm

nfnucks99 wrote:
Port hockey1 wrote:
Caledonia Fan wrote:Big loss to Thorold Josh Astorino signs with Georgetown Raiders. But I guess that's development.
Yeah... development... :lol:
Does Thorold not develop players?
They do indeed develop players. But the OJHL isn't exactly leaving for a higher level, IMO. A lot of kids leave for that league, but return within a couple of years. Some kids must just feel the OJHL is the next level.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

RocketGirl
Posts: 3047
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by RocketGirl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:11 pm

They leave at the age of 18 or 19 to get a scholarship. When they don't get one, they come back at 20.
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.

Undertaker
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18 am

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Undertaker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Georgetown is closer to Toronto so he should get seen more often by the D1 scouts. Unfortunately some of scouts still can't be convinced that the OJHL isn't a better league because of the letter designation.

Caledonia Fan
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:33 pm

Not saying Thorold don't develope players they do a great job at it. With a good coach to learn from.
Just getting sick of people thinking JR-A tier II is a better hockey league than JR-B GOJHL.
I watch a lot of hockey and JR-B is just as good. Not saying JR-A is bad its not it's just not better.
JR-A can take from jr-b not just there younger players. There starting to take there older players to.
Especially there goalies Lachance, Lazzarino and Rawski 97's. Balinson(d), Hildbrandt(f) , Flack(f) and Astorino (g) all are 96 20 year olds.
With very little compensation to the JR-B teams and they call it development.

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Caledonia Fan wrote:Not saying Thorold don't develope players they do a great job at it. With a good coach to learn from.
Just getting sick of people thinking JR-A tier II is a better hockey league than JR-B GOJHL.
I watch a lot of hockey and JR-B is just as good. Not saying JR-A is bad its not it's just not better.
JR-A can take from jr-b not just there younger players. There starting to take there older players to.
Especially there goalies Lachance, Lazzarino and Rawski 97's. Balinson(d), Hildbrandt(f) , Flack(f) and Astorino (g) all are 96 20 year olds.
With very little compensation to the JR-B teams and they call it development.
We both seem to have the same opinion on this topic. :)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

15timechamps
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by 15timechamps » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Losing d'agastino on the back end will hurt even more signed in the Ajhl

Caledonia Fan
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:48 am

According to the NOJHL site Thorold has pick up 20 year old Christian Whitcomb from Powassen.
D 5'9" 161 lbs 44 -4 - 16 - 20 - 27

Caledonia Fan
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:15 pm

New attitude in Thorold and I like it. From Brain Kelly he wants guys to go out there and contribute right away. He's not interested in developing.
It sounds like there going for it this year. Good for Thorold.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... blackhawks

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:41 pm

They might improve on last season, but I'd be surprised to them any higher than 4th place.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

Caledonia Fan
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:43 pm

I saw on the OJHL forum that Markham picks up last year forwards Doug Carter and JOHN HUDGIN from the Pickering Pathers.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... blackhawks

This article and according to Kelly and he was all pump up about it. That John Hudgin was coming to Thorold.
Anyone know anything, big blow to Thorold. I checked pre-season games he never played no pre-season games with Thorold or Pickering.

Pickering 09/01/16 DEL Hudgin, John (F) traded to Markham

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:16 pm

It wouldn't be the first time a player has changed his mind at the last minute.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

Caledonia Fan
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Caledonia Fan wrote:New attitude in Thorold and I like it. From Brain Kelly he wants guys to go out there and contribute right away. He's not interested in developing.
It sounds like there going for it this year. Good for Thorold.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... blackhawks

I don't know want every happen to Thorold this year so far. After starting out so good.
They have the leaning scorer in the GOJHL. Got back Davis picked up Charlton and Buch. to name a few.
They had a good start against Caledonia Thur. But just couldn't keep up. Frustration seem to settle in on the team and coach.

Caledonia Fan
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 am

Thorold had such a promise start to the season. Talking tough to. I liked it .
Port Hockey and myself were waiting for them to break out. Sadly this never happen.
Injuries, deals that never worked out and just plan bad luck. But they hung in there
9 games lost by one goal. Played the top teams tough took Caledonia to O/T twice
Beat St Kitts and lose by a goal Beat N.F. twice and lose by a goal.They were in most games even with the season they were having.
Then why trade the nucleus of your team. They lose Cal Davis Icedogs traded him to Kingston this happens.
But D Agostino(98) Roubos (98) Buch (98) and Lloyd (96)
Maybe I could see Lloyd going being a (96) But the other three with two years of JR left.
Want kind of message are you sending your fan base. I mean D Agostino top three in scoring.
Your two top defencemen and Buch 16PTS in 17 games.
You have to wonder how safe Brain Kelly job is. Or if he has the passion left.
After such a promise season gone bad.

Cali vairs!
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Cali vairs! » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:51 pm

They did look to have promise to start the season. They were in games though mostly because of Fraser Kirk there goalie. He played really well but I beleive was released after the game vs Caledonia. But if you look at how many of the games they were in they likely should of won quite a few of them. Once they got to the third they just tried to defend the lead. That likely caused 5-6 losses. Once they started slipping you had to figure this was coming. Idk why there trading all there players but there certainly must be getting a ton of money back in return. Maybe there saving up for a run in a year soon. Idk what else there could be. You have a young promising goalir. Wait a year or 2 and he might be able to carry the team and you can make a run for a championship then. Idk just a idea

Caledonia Fan
Posts: 883
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Caledonia Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:43 pm

I believe Fraser is or was hurt for awhile. But he has struggle this year by his standards.
And Blattenberger just didn't work out. They release him.
Feel sorry for Slobodzian this Sat. in Caledonia. Thorold don't have much left.
There will be a lot of call ups from JR-C.in the line up. Slobodzian coming from Mt. Hope probally have a lot of family there.
But maybe Fraser will play. Just wondering if there thinking of putting the team up for sale.
That's why all the movement sell your assets than sell the team.
Nick Sacco is 20 next year. I could see him going to JR-C.

Article of better times in Thorold.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016 ... ff-canucks

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Caledonia Fan wrote:Thorold had such a promise start to the season. Talking tough to. I liked it .
Port Hockey and myself were waiting for them to break out. Sadly this never happen.
Injuries, deals that never worked out and just plan bad luck. But they hung in there
9 games lost by one goal. Played the top teams tough took Caledonia to O/T twice
Beat St Kitts and lose by a goal Beat N.F. twice and lose by a goal.They were in most games even with the season they were having.
Then why trade the nucleus of your team. They lose Cal Davis Icedogs traded him to Kingston this happens.
But D Agostino(98) Roubos (98) Buch (98) and Lloyd (96)
Maybe I could see Lloyd going being a (96) But the other three with two years of JR left.
Want kind of message are you sending your fan base. I mean D Agostino top three in scoring.
Your two top defencemen and Buch 16PTS in 17 games.
You have to wonder how safe Brain Kelly job is. Or if he has the passion left.
After such a promise season gone bad.
I heard D'Agostino wanted out. Guessing that Roubos & Buch wanted the same. Not sure about those two, just speculating. This is sad though, a step back for a Thorold team that looked to be heading in the right direction.

Well said Caledonia fan, I was waiting for this group to come together. I thought adding the goalie from St.Catharines was a great sign. I'm sure they'll regroup a bit next year though. Hope they do, not that long ago they were the team to beat in the Shoe.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

Canuckalhead
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Canuckalhead » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:45 pm

They are for sale if you've got enough cash.

BeenThereDoneThat
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by BeenThereDoneThat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:11 pm

For sale makes sense now. Sell off all of your valuable assets, get as much cash in hand as possible and then sell the team at the end of the year. Rumor has it that their top 3 players brought in more than 30 grand in total.

GOJHLfan1
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by GOJHLfan1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Well they lost to Pelham tonight with 16 skaters, going to be a long 2 months in Thorold I think.

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 pm

To be fair Pelham has gotten great goaltending this season. Two recent pickups at forward might make them good enough to beat a few of the bottom teams.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

Canuckalhead
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Canuckalhead » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:14 am

Pelham is also for sale...............but they have been sale for the last 10 years!! lol Heard the league has a $150,000.00 minimum if a team wants to sell. St. Catharines and Niagara Falls might be worth half that, but the rest aren't worth a dime. Won't be long before players will be paying 3-5k to play (like they do in the OPJHL) or else teams will be folding.

Vairs61
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Vairs61 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:55 pm

There are to many teams in the Niagara region, wouldn't be worst thing if a few folded.

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Canuckalhead wrote:Pelham is also for sale...............but they have been sale for the last 10 years!! lol Heard the league has a $150,000.00 minimum if a team wants to sell. St. Catharines and Niagara Falls might be worth half that, but the rest aren't worth a dime. Won't be long before players will be paying 3-5k to play (like they do in the OPJHL) or else teams will be folding.
Toffolo is in real Estate... :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks like he needs a refresher on how to make a sale. 8)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Vairs61 wrote:There are to many teams in the Niagara region, wouldn't be worst thing if a few folded.
Ya but this division has always been Niagara based.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

User avatar
jfvoll
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 am
Location: Kitchener
Contact:

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by jfvoll » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:53 am

01/22/17 Kelly, Bryan () placed on league suspension for Indefinite games
On Saturday's game:
Thorold - Bryan Kelly - (Abuse of Officials) (Game Misconduct) (GM21), 0 MIN, 0:00
Thorold - Bryan Kelly - (Travesty of Game) (Gross Misconduct) (GRM60), 0 MIN, 0:00
I wonder what happened?

GOJHLfan1
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by GOJHLfan1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Frustration boiling over from ownership selling all his players at the deadline? 14 skaters that night. Do not think they have had a full lineup since. Was only a matter of time I guess.

User avatar
Port hockey1
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Maroon's

Re: Thorold Blackhawks

Post by Port hockey1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Kelly is good coach who does a remarkable job holding back his temper on the bench. When he was in Port, you could see him boiling over at times, but he would have this half smile on his face. Really good at setting examples for his players. I thought he had great restraint, especially when he had a few fans hollering at him all night from across the rink.

But he's human... When he feels the refs aren't doing a good job, he'll start to talk to them. If they just laugh and keep it up, explosion waiting to happen. And I don't blame him one bit.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102

Post Reply