More on the Caledonia Rule

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

Caledonia Fan

More on the Caledonia Rule

Post by Caledonia Fan »

https://ohlwriters.me/2016/04/14/the-pr ... od-or-bad/

From the OHL writers. Remember they have there problems too. They want the GOJHL as a farm team like the CCHL2 is to the CCHL.
We have know problem competing with the CCHL2. What a mess that league is. They still have 21 year olds. Some of there teams were loaded with 20 year olds and 21 year olds. There trying to get rid of the 21 year olds but some fans and owners not to happy about it. So just remenber what your reading and who's writing it. There's people on this forum that makes more since.
He does have some good ideas on the 16 year old but that's not as easy as he makes it seem.
Port hockey1

Re: More on the Caledonia Rule

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:https://ohlwriters.me/2016/04/14/the-pr ... od-or-bad/

From the OHL writers. Remember they have there problems too. They want the GOJHL as a farm team like the CCHL2 is to the CCHL.
We have know problem competing with the CCHL2. What a mess that league is. They still have 21 year olds. Some of there teams were loaded with 20 year olds and 21 year olds. There trying to get rid of the 21 year olds but some fans and owners not to happy about it. So just remenber what your reading and who's writing it. There's people on this forum that makes more since.
He does have some good ideas on the 16 year old but that's not as easy as he makes it seem.
I like how the writer pointed out the GOJHL made a rushed decision on this rule based on one season. He pointed out that Caledonia has won back to back Sutherland Cups with less than 10 20 year olds on those teams.

These knee-jerk reactions only makes the league look worse. This rule will impact teams like Leamington, Chatham, Kitchener, Guelph, Elmira, St.Catharines, Stratford, etc. But the funny thing is that it won't hurt Caledonia.

The league just capped how many 20 year olds Caledonia's competition can have. Caledonia has already proven they can win it all with a bunch of 17, 18 & 19 year olds. The teams above haven't.

So there's something to think about. Will the above teams be able to get as many younger skilled players as Caledonia can? I guess we'll see.

btw: Had this rule been in place this season, several of those 20 year olds would only take one card. Pawley, D.Brown & others have played in the GOJHL before. So I'm pretty sure the Corvairs won't have a problem finding 5-7 OHL veterans who've played in the GOJHL before.

So there's something else to think about. I personally think the league just handicapped the other top teams. Because we all know Caledonia can attract the right players. 8)
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Caledonia Fan wrote:https://ohlwriters.me/2016/04/14/the-pr ... od-or-bad/

I like how the writer pointed out the GOJHL made a rushed decision on this rule based on one season. He pointed out that Caledonia has won back to back Sutherland Cups with less than 10 20 year olds on those teams.

These knee-jerk reactions only makes the league look worse. This rule will impact teams like Leamington, Chatham, Kitchener, Guelph, Elmira, St.Catharines, Stratford, etc. But the funny thing is that it won't hurt Caledonia.

The league just capped how many 20 year olds Caledonia's competition can have. Caledonia has already proven they can win it all with a bunch of 17, 18 & 19 year olds. The teams above haven't.

So there's something to think about. Will the above teams be able to get as many younger skilled players as Caledonia can? I guess we'll see.

btw: Had this rule been in place this season, several of those 20 year olds would only take one card. Pawley, D.Brown & others have played in the GOJHL before. So I'm pretty sure the Corvairs won't have a problem finding 5-7 OHL veterans who've played in the GOJHL before.

So there's something else to think about. I personally think the league just handicapped the other top teams. Because we all know Caledonia can attract the right players. 8)
Its appears you really like Caledonia
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

I do, they treat their players like kings. They've developed countless young players and are the role models of how to develop players, and win championships at the same time.

How can you not like an organization like that? We need more clubs like Caledonia, Leamington, LaSalle, etc.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
keepcalm

Post by keepcalm »

[quote][/quote]How can you not like an organization like that? We need more clubs like Caledonia, Leamington, LaSalle, etc.

Port Hockey - thank you for identifying some of top teams that are deserving of recognition in the league. Junior hockey is a business. Successful hockey businesses flourish as a result of a number of crucial factors - leadership (coaching), management (GM, assistant GM), stable financial positioning (ownership), highest quality available resources (players), support staff (trainers, equipment managers, team helpers), and volunteers (including billet families, fans). Successful hockey businesses are those who win. Winning teams are a combination of all the afore-mentioned factors - not only one or two alone. Credit well-deserved to those teams who have achieved success based on astute hockey business management - look no further than the top teams vs the bottom teams in the league to identify the teams who have achieved success based on dedicated and intelligent business management - their success is based on countless, never-ending hours of nothing short of hard work.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Port hockey1 wrote:I do, they treat their players like kings. They've developed countless young players and are the role models of how to develop players, and win championships at the same time.

How can you not like an organization like that? We need more clubs like Caledonia, Leamington, LaSalle, etc.

Treat them like Kings .. ok if that is the euphemism for what they are doing... I remember when Niagara Falls treated their players like Kings in the mid-90's as well. At the time they were even bringing in players from Russia. I guess in that case he was treating him like Czars. I guess if you have the resources and really want to win .. you can
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

So this was a big topic last season. The so-called 'Caledonia rule'. Well here we are with the new rule that caps how many 20 year olds teams can have and it seems to have done wonders. :wink:

There was also a rule that said any 20 year old who's never played in the league before, would count as two imports. It was said that this rule would stop Caledonia from, well let's just be honest here... Being the best organization in the GOJHL. It was a witch hunt, one that I found very amusing.

People were saying how these rules would help even the playing field... Even though I had pointed out most of Caledonia's 20 year old's had played in the league in the past, meaning they only took one import card, if the player wasn't already from the area. I kept saying that the rule was a joke for several reasons.

- The Corvairs are the role models of the league when it comes to developing young talent and sending players to higher levels, including tonight's AHL All-Star game.

-Other teams that have rebuilt will have a contending year where a lot of their players are 20. The new rule was a slap in the face to those teams, who will now be unable to retain their core.

-Caledonia is great at more than player development, they're a dynasty when it comes to winning and elite players come calling often.

Due to my last point, these new rules wouldn't matter. I said they would simply sign & recruit elite 19 year old's that are just as good as the 20 year olds.

Well I hate to say I told you so... But look at their best players this season. They have a '97 with more goals scored(37), than games played(34). Their top D'man is also a '97, and he's having an amazing season. They signed a few 20 year olds to get that needed experience, but have put their bets on the 19 year old's for the most part.

When you look at the season's a few are having, it won't be that hard of a choice to make when it comes to who makes the team next year(as a 20 year old).

This rule has helped the great teams like Caledonia, St.Catharines, etc. more than anything. Now they can load up with talent while other team's that are supposed to be in their contention year will be forced to move some of their 20 year old vets. Look at the kids Caledonia added towards the deadline. Yeah, that new rule really crippled them. :lol: 8)
They simply went out and found several elite 19 year olds.

Looks like the league really thought this through. :lol: :smt020 :smt043 Again, told you so! :) Go Caledonia!!! :smt003
Hockeyhead1

Post by Hockeyhead1 »

You mean went out and found some 19 year olds to "treat like kings"....and we all know what that means.
BillyTheKid

Post by BillyTheKid »

Hockeyhead1 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 am You mean went out and found some 19 year olds to "treat like kings"....and we all know what that means.
If you had money and loved the game like they do I'm sure you would do the same thing I know I would.. I would want to put a team together every year that could win it all
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Did people actually think anything would change? It was pretty obvious it was gonna happen. Plus u keep on taking shots at the team and how they aren't gonna be able to beat everybody anymore because of the rule. U just added another reason to try and beat everybody. Teams like Caledonia, st kitts, Niagara Falls will find ways to win around the rules. We were all saying it last year that they were gonna just pick up the best 19 year olds from thr O and then the next year they only count as 1. 20 year old card. So keep trying to find ways to handicap them cuz this was a nice little try. Always will be a top team if they want to be.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:45 pm Did people actually think anything would change? It was pretty obvious it was gonna happen. Plus u keep on taking shots at the team and how they aren't gonna be able to beat everybody anymore because of the rule. U just added another reason to try and beat everybody. Teams like Caledonia, st kitts, Niagara Falls will find ways to win around the rules. We were all saying it last year that they were gonna just pick up the best 19 year olds from thr O and then the next year they only count as 1. 20 year old card. So keep trying to find ways to handicap them cuz this was a nice little try. Always will be a top team if they want to be.
Yup, all they did was handicap the smaller markets. :lol:
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Port hockey1 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:37 pm
Cali vairs! wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:45 pm Did people actually think anything would change? It was pretty obvious it was gonna happen. Plus u keep on taking shots at the team and how they aren't gonna be able to beat everybody anymore because of the rule. U just added another reason to try and beat everybody. Teams like Caledonia, st kitts, Niagara Falls will find ways to win around the rules. We were all saying it last year that they were gonna just pick up the best 19 year olds from thr O and then the next year they only count as 1. 20 year old card. So keep trying to find ways to handicap them cuz this was a nice little try. Always will be a top team if they want to be.
Yup, all they did was handicap the smaller markets. :lol:
You are correct in that it does handicap the smaller markets but it also handicapped Caledonia as they are not the dominant team they had last year. They are still the best in the shoe as they can buy the best talent but they are no where near as strong as last year.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

But no team is as strong as they were last year. Pretty sureness if u put this years rosters against last years roster the only team that would win would be Pelham. The rule overall made the league a lot weaker so really the rule handicapped the league
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

http://www.sachem.ca/sports-story/71386 ... -40th-win/

Even if Caledonia wins the last 4 games that will give them 89 pts.
That's the same as last year 89 pts.
2016/2017 - GP-46 W-40 L-5 T-1 OTL -0 PTS - 81
So far
2015/2016 - GP - 50 W-43 L-4 T- 1 OTL - 2 - PTS - 89
So much crying last year on 20 year olds, OHL players Caledonia not playing far ect, ect, ect. on and on.
So much for the Caledonia Rule it was all bullshit.
Here's even a better one 2014/2015 and 2013/2014 they won the Sutherland Cup.
They had better records those years.
2014/2015 GP-49 W-44 L-3 OTL-2 PTS - 90
2013/2014 GP - 49 W-45 L-3 OTL - 1 PTS- 91
And for the record 9 - 20 year olds 2014/2015 7 - 20 year olds 2013/2014
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

Caledonia Fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:50 pmSo much crying last year on 20 year olds, OHL players Caledonia not playing far ect, ect, ect. on and on.
So much for the Caledonia Rule it was all bullshit.
Here's even a better one 2014/2015 and 2013/2014 they won the Sutherland Cup.
They had better records those years.
2014/2015 GP-49 W-44 L-3 OTL-2 PTS - 90
2013/2014 GP - 49 W-45 L-3 OTL - 1 PTS- 91
And for the record 9 - 20 year olds 2014/2015 7 - 20 year olds 2013/2014
Well, I won't argue whether a good rule or not, but I believe it's kept the games much closer than the past.

Here's a bit of a tell. 2016 numbers are to date, so more to come.

2016/17 season, goals for/against 335/95 for a +240 (with Buffalo and Pelham to light up)(115 goals to date, have been against Buffalo)
2015/16 season, 294/98 for a +196 (no buffalo to light up)
2016 playoffs, +111
2014/15 season, 242/74 for a +168
2015 playoffs, +67
2013/14 season, 243/101 for a+142
2014 playoffs, +56

I think the tell tail sign, as whether the rule has helped, is the playoff goals for and against this year (also have to consider, no first round for Corvairs this year).
Caledonia very well may go undefeated to their 4th Suthy in a row. But it, in theory, should be more difficult for them (more competitive games)

If their goals for/against in playoffs are better this year, than last...then you have a valid point/argument.
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

I am not sure anyone indicated that the "Caledonia" rule would impair the Corvairs to the point where they were part of the pack. With their resources they simply adjusted and went out and got the best 18, 19 and limited # of 20 year olds that they could acquire

Even if the league changed the rule to having no 20 year olds, Caledonia would still be able to put a dominant team on the ice.

The point of the rule was to reduce ( not eliminate) their dominance. Some of the top teams at least have a chance this year to pull off an upset over the Corvairs. That being said they are still the favorites to win another cup.
StCathFalcons

Post by StCathFalcons »

oldtymer wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:48 am I am not sure anyone indicated that the "Caledonia" rule would impair the Corvairs to the point where they were part of the pack. With their resources they simply adjusted and went out and got the best 18, 19 and limited # of 20 year olds that they could acquire

Even if the league changed the rule to having no 20 year olds, Caledonia would still be able to put a dominant team on the ice.

The point of the rule was to reduce ( not eliminate) their dominance. Some of the top teams at least have a chance this year to pull off an upset over the Corvairs. That being said they are still the favorites to win another cup.
I'd agree with most of what you've said. Favoured to win, for sure! In dominant fashion, maybe not as much so.

I don't think they got the best 18 and 19 year olds. Maybe the best of the 18 and 19 yr olds available, that couldn't cut it in the O. The best 18 and 19 years olds are still in the O. But that doesn't make them dominant Jr B players. We've seen that with every team.

When they could get unlimited 20 year olds from the O, they were OA's being released. Meaning players so good, that teams kept them (for a period) as their choice of 20 year olds. HUGE difference. You can't compare the unlimited access to OHL OA's Caledonia could pursue last year, to the 18 and 19 yr olds they went after this year. Not even close, IMHO.

And THAT's why, the games will be closer. They're not loaded up with OHL OA's. They just have a very solid team, with OHL throw aways, for a lack of better terms. Not to demoralize those players, but they pale in comparison to the players Caledonia sought after last year.

Again, with that all being said...they're still the favourites. I would just be surprised if they went undefeated in the playoffs. And I'd be surprised if the games weren't more like 5-3, 6-4, instead of 6-0, 5-0, 8-0.

I digress...
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

by StCathFalcons » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:47 am

I'd agree with most of what you've said. Favoured to win, for sure! In dominant fashion, maybe not as much so.

I don't think they got the best 18 and 19 year olds. Maybe the best of the 18 and 19 yr olds available, that couldn't cut it in the O. The best 18 and 19 years olds are still in the O. But that doesn't make them dominant Jr B players. We've seen that with every team.

When they could get unlimited 20 year olds from the O, they were OA's being released. Meaning players so good, that teams kept them (for a period) as their choice of 20 year olds. HUGE difference. You can't compare the unlimited access to OHL OA's Caledonia could pursue last year, to the 18 and 19 yr olds they went after this year. Not even close, IMHO.

And THAT's why, the games will be closer. They're not loaded up with OHL OA's. They just have a very solid team, with OHL throw aways, for a lack of better terms. Not to demoralize those players, but they pale in comparison to the players Caledonia sought after last year.

Again, with that all being said...they're still the favourites. I would just be surprised if they went undefeated in the playoffs. And I'd be surprised if the games weren't more like 5-3, 6-4, instead of 6-0, 5-0, 8-0.

I digress...
I think I get what you're saying. Caledonia does have several young players who've looked really good, and are getting great exposure. But I personally don't think that has anything to do with the new rules. Last season was a one-off. The team was loaded with the hopes of making league history, and winning a third straight cup.

The two years before that, as Caledonia fan stated, they had(I think) 9 & 7 20 year olds. They also had a great season with a 16 year old leading them in scoring. That's mostly why I thought rushing these rules in was a bad move.

But saying the 19 year olds aren't as good as the 20 year olds of past seasons might be a stretch though. My best examples are #44, a forward with another year left. He has 42 goals & 43 assists in only 38 games. I know he put up a lot of points against Buffalo, but he would've likely done the same last year against Pelham. My other example is their top D'man. #21 has another year left too, and he has 48 points in only 32 games. And that includes missing the last two 28 goal games they played.

But I do agree that these rules could be a good thing, as no team can ever do what Caledonia did last year again. Better to learn from the past then to do nothing I suppose. I agree with you that this team is night & day compared to last years team though. Lot's of good younger players getting great exposure on that team.

This is a good debate to have for sure. :)
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Good post Port and StcathFalcons. Lots of great pts by both of you.
Another thing we are forgetting is how much better St Kitts, N.F. and Ancaster are this year.
Talk about 19 year olds and 18 year olds these three teams are full of them just check there line ups.
Add Caledonia and these teams are looking good for the next two years not just next year.
Should be a great playoff if it goes as I think it will. With Caledonia, St Kitts , N.F. and Ancaster in the top four.
I don't see any four game sweeps here. I won't be surprise to see some of these serious going 6 or 7 games.
Same with the final . Should be some great hockey.
Is this because of the Caledonia rule I don't know. But want I do know is Caledonia makes the other teams better.
St Kitts, N.F. and Acaster have done a great job of putting a team together to compete with Caledonia.
Thorold had the right idea to at the beginning of the season. It's to bad want happen there they were close.