Caledonia(1) vs Waterloo(4), Sutherland Cup Semifinals Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Golden Horseshoe Jr B Hockey

Moderator: RocketGirl

three dog night

Re: Caledonia(1) vs Waterloo(4), Sutherland Cup Semifinals Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Post by three dog night »

Caledonia beat out the Falcons but did not crush them in fact they should have lost the overtime game.
RocketGirl

Re: Caledonia(1) vs Waterloo(4), Sutherland Cup Semifinals Playoff Thread, & Predictions

Post by RocketGirl »

Yep, I said it. Don't deny that one either, or regret it. After I wrote my How Many Is Too Many article, I mentioned to our Convenor that I'd riled up all the Caledonia fans and do you know what his response was? What, all 3 of them?

I don't expect it will be a packed house in Caledonia tonight. I was there last year in the semi-finals and there was about 600 people there. Waterloo will bring a lot though, I expect they have a full fan bus to bring. I may not be welcomed, or wanted there, but I will be in attendance this evening. Feel free to come say hi!
:)
Queen of the GOJHL

Sometimes you just have to straighten your crown and remind them who they're dealing with.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

He must of been referring to titles.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Last time against St kitts we have near 1000 fans. That's a lot for us. For Waterloo winning tonight's game, I don't think so. Corsairs have shown no rust in any 1st game of a series after having awhile off. I think Cali will be a little slow in the first period than blow it open in the 2nd and third
GOJHLfan1

Post by GOJHLfan1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Last time against St kitts we have near 1000 fans. That's a lot for us. For Waterloo winning tonight's game, I don't think so. Corsairs have shown no rust in any 1st game of a series after having awhile off. I think Cali will be a little slow in the first period than blow it open in the 2nd and third
Most likely yes
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Call me a jealous fan or bitter I don't care. Will be there tonight. Cheering hard for Waterloo. I know there's no chance of Waterloo winning the series I would like them to win at least one game
Last edited by 15timechamps on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Great discussions on the Ontario JR-B Hockey Form and The Golden Horseshoe Hockey Forum. The last few days, things are heating up.
Keep it up. A lot of people read these forums. Love to hear from some differ people. Remember these are young men, and it's all about the hockey.
Cheers people
Beehive

Post by Beehive »

jfvoll wrote:
Cali vairs! wrote:I think their gonna need more than just motivation. Cali is a whole different beast than Kitchener. If people they think Stratford is physical than they better keep their heads up or their gonna drop like flys. I hope Waterloo can make the games close but I'm not counting on it if they play like they did against stratty
Yeah I think the same as well. I've only seen 2 Cali games this year (against Pelham and St. Catherines) and Caledonia reminds me of a steam roller just crushing everything in sight. I think Caledonia will take it in 5, Waterloo could take game 1 from a well rested Corvairs team
They are the steam roller and the opposition is the asphalt!
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Vairs61 wrote:RocketGirl
(Login RocketGirl16)
Re: Can the Siskins test the Corvairs?...No score for this post April 13 2016, 9:31 AM

When Pawley was 16, he was signed by the London Nationals and they traded him to Lambton Shores Predators where he finished his season before jumping to the OHL.

In my opinion, this 'Caledonia Thing' is about more than how many 20 year olds they have on their roster. It's who those 20 year olds are and how and why they are playing for Caledonia. I've heard from different people the incentives the players have received this season. I've also heard what they're reward is if they complete the 3-peat. All of Caledonia's fans, there's about 5 of them, believe that they will continue to be a powerhouse even with the new rules because success breeds success. We'll see how mighty they are if/when their owners scale back the money they've been spending.

This was on the OJ forum today from the "objective" Rocketgirl.

This is from the "objective" Rocketgirl
Interesting... Compulsive liar?... :lol:
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
jfvoll

Post by jfvoll »

Port hockey1 wrote:
Vairs61 wrote:RocketGirl
(Login RocketGirl16)
Re: Can the Siskins test the Corvairs?...No score for this post April 13 2016, 9:31 AM

When Pawley was 16, he was signed by the London Nationals and they traded him to Lambton Shores Predators where he finished his season before jumping to the OHL.

In my opinion, this 'Caledonia Thing' is about more than how many 20 year olds they have on their roster. It's who those 20 year olds are and how and why they are playing for Caledonia. I've heard from different people the incentives the players have received this season. I've also heard what they're reward is if they complete the 3-peat. All of Caledonia's fans, there's about 5 of them, believe that they will continue to be a powerhouse even with the new rules because success breeds success. We'll see how mighty they are if/when their owners scale back the money they've been spending.

This was on the OJ forum today from the "objective" Rocketgirl.

This is from the "objective" Rocketgirl
Interesting... Compulsive liar?... :lol:

This fourm has it's own Godwin's law, instead of talking about Nazi's the conversation always goes towards Caledonia's roster.
three dog night

Last time against St kitts we have near 1000 fans how many were from St.Catharines.
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

RocketGirl
(Login RocketGirl16)
Re: Can the Siskins test the Corvairs?...No score for this post April 13 2016, 3:46 PM

I haven't said anything that isn't true. The facts are the facts. They have 17 players born in 95 on their current active roster. They have an additional 2 that are affiliated players. By the admission of Corvair fans, they have done what they have done to ensure that they capture the Sutherland Cup for the 3rd straight year, because it's never been done before and they want to set history.

They've found a loophole in the rules, doesn't mean it's right, in my honest opinion, it goes against the spirit of competition, but they've found one and have used it to their full advantage.

And GOJHL Guy is right. How many of those 1000 that were supposedly at that last game were in fact Corvair fans? How many were Falcons fans? How many were fans of the other teams in the Shoe? How many were just people, such as myself, who enjoy going to a hockey game?
Vairs61

Post by Vairs61 »

"Spirit of competition"

Wow Rocketgirl, Queen of GOJHL.

Is this not junior hockey? You make it sound like novice house league. What next, a vote not to keep score?
Is your next rant going to be the Corvairs are to tall. Limit the size of players?
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Careless penalty costly for Waterloo

I thought Waterloo played a great game. But a selfish penalty early in the 3rd period led to Caledonia making a 3-2 game into a 4-2 game, as they scored just seconds into the power play. The penalty was for taking out Caledonia goalie M.Sinclair's skates as he was coming back from behind the net. If that player doesn't take that penalty, maybe we see a different result.

Caledonia finished the game off with an empty net goal. Waterloo made both St.Catharines & Niagara Falls look like a bunch of girls. That's how you play in important playoff games! And they did this by using mostly two lines, with a defensemen playing the wing on their top unit. Boy did they make the Golden Horseshoe teams look weak. :lol:

Waterloo opened the scoring but Caledonia tied it up late in the 1st period. Like I said, it was 3-2 in the 3rd when that selfish penalty put the dagger in Waterloo. This was probably their best shot at winning a game. They will be worn out soon, as they use 3 lines for most of the game, including their top two units repeatedly at times. They also use the same 4 defensemen repeatedly, occasionally double shifting one of them with their 5th D.

The shots were 38-32 in favor of Caledonia, Waterloo out-shot them in the 3rd period. C.Pawley & M.Hore led Caledonia with 2 goals & 2 assists each, while M.Fitzmorris added a goal & an assist. B.Luscombe had a pair of assists. A.Pullicino & L.Gazzola scored Waterloo's goals.

Looks like the 6th seed skated with the big bad Corvairs pretty good. Even more impressive when you consider the Corvairs got M.Graham & J.Schaefer back in the lineup for the first time since the first round of the playoffs, and Waterloo was without top 6 G.Mantz.

This game made those whining about all that talent on Caledonia's roster look kind of ahem, out of touch. :smt005 :lol: :smt006

I believe A.Brown is now the only injured Corvair. Here's hoping he's able to get back in the lineup!(Ratchford also out) :D
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Howard Stern Of The GOJHL. Those who like my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next, Those who dislike my posts: Wan't to see what I'm going to say next. :smt033 :smt029 :smt083 :smt102
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Pretty impressive game tonight from waterloo. They played hard and never gave up. But they just couldn't keep up near the end of the second and third. Cali played pretty bad tonight. Slow skating, no effort. But the power play was deadly for Cali tonight. Waterloo is gonna have to learn quickly that they can't head to the box. But Waterloo got absolutely pounded tonight, especially lane. Every time try turned they got decked. Lane is gonna feel pretty bad tommorow. Gonna be a long series for him.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Ratch Ford is out too port with a separated shoulder
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

A Look At The Lines:

Caledonia:

Fitzmorris, Pawley, Hore,

Hill, Luscombe, Jake Brown,

D.Brown, Maksimovich, Graham,

Seguin, McCartney, Punkari,

Jordan Brown, Bauman,

Schaefer, Zottl,

Bianchi, Moran,

Waterloo:

Jean, Schnarr, Slegers(D),

Pullicino, Goodman, Bentley,

Bodnar, Gazzola, Lindsay,

Kipke, Lane,

Hirst, Robbins,

Hirst, Haffner,

Note: They were also winging Schaefer on the top line with Jean & Schnarr at times tonight.
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

Also remember Volpe will be back next game too for Caledonia. I'm assuming their sitting graham next game
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:Also remember Volpe will be back next game too for Caledonia. I'm assuming their sitting graham next game
I'd say Punkari...
Cali vairs!

Post by Cali vairs! »

No punkari is way better of a player than graham. You can put punki into any situation and he would be a great player. My bets on graham sitting
15timechamps

Post by 15timechamps »

Porthockey1. Wrote. ICaledonia finished the game off with an empty net goal. Waterloo made both St.Catharines & Niagara Falls look like a bunch of girls. That's how you play in important playoff games! And they did this by using mostly two lines, with a defensemen playing the wing on their top unit. Boy did they make the Golden Horseshoe teams look weak. :lol: Waterloo would not beat st cath or Niagara Falls in a 7 game series. Niagara Falls got carried away and fell into Caledonia trap of trying to match physicality. I am not saying st cath or nf is much better. But they would both beat them in a 7 game series
three dog night

The Falcons have come the closest to beating Caledonia with a tough over time loss after blowing a two goal lead with 12 min to play. The blew a two gaol second period lead in Caledonia the next night.
Hattrick73

Post by Hattrick73 »

Port hockey1 wrote:Careless penalty costly for Waterloo

I thought Waterloo played a great game. But a selfish penalty early in the 3rd period led to Caledonia making a 3-2 game into a 4-2 game, as they scored just seconds into the power play. The penalty was for taking out Caledonia goalie M.Sinclair's skates as he was coming back from behind the net. If that player doesn't take that penalty, maybe we see a different result.

Caledonia finished the game off with an empty net goal. Waterloo made both St.Catharines & Niagara Falls look like a bunch of girls. That's how you play in important playoff games! And they did this by using mostly two lines, with a defensemen playing the wing on their top unit. Boy did they make the Golden Horseshoe teams look weak. :lol:

Waterloo opened the scoring but Caledonia tied it up late in the 1st period. Like I said, it was 3-2 in the 3rd when that selfish penalty put the dagger in Waterloo. This was probably their best shot at winning a game. They will be worn out soon, as they use 3 lines for most of the game, including their top two units repeatedly at times. They also use the same 4 defensemen repeatedly, occasionally double shifting one of them with their 5th D.

The shots were 38-32 in favor of Caledonia, Waterloo out-shot them in the 3rd period. C.Pawley & M.Hore led Caledonia with 2 goals & 2 assists each, while M.Fitzmorris added a goal & an assist. B.Luscombe had a pair of assists. A.Pullicino & L.Gazzola scored Waterloo's goals.

Looks like the 6th seed skated with the big bad Corvairs pretty good. Even more impressive when you consider the Corvairs got M.Graham & J.Schaefer back in the lineup for the first time since the first round of the playoffs, and Waterloo was without top 6 G.Mantz.

This game made those whining about all that talent on Caledonia's roster look kind of ahem, out of touch. :smt005 :lol: :smt006

I believe A.Brown is now the only injured Corvair. Here's hoping he's able to get back in the lineup!(Ratchford also out) :D
It was an interesting game. Waterloo came out with speed and passion tonight. Caledonia's McCartney line came out banging and ready.....after that the rust showed i would say on the rest of Caledonia's squad. Waterloo outplayed the home team, but Caledonia weathered the storm after a couple questionable goals allowed by Sinclair, but he held waterloo to 2 going into to third. Pawley came out ready to step up and win. He along with Hore, led the Vairs to the victory and Sinclair stepped up his game in the third.

Graham still looked 'off' but ACTIVE. Volpe was out for his second of 2 gm suspension, Ratchford, INJ-OUT, A. Brown...?? INJ-OUT.??

Caledonia turns it UP in game 2! Volpe in for Graham.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Cali vairs! wrote:No punkari is way better of a player than graham. You can put punki into any situation and he would be a great player. My bets on graham sitting
Well I guess Graham's a little rusty. Punkari is a gutsy player. If he plays, he's earned it!
oldtymer

Post by oldtymer »

Porthockey1 : Caledonia finished the game off with an empty net goal. Waterloo made both St.Catharines & Niagara Falls look like a bunch of girls.
Its really too bad that you have so much hatred towards SC and NF as you make some valid comments then spurt out these types of comments. I don't know if it comes from the fact that Port 's team left or that they consistently lost to SC and NF but you really need to get over it.
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Caledonia and Waterloo on CTV Kitchener sports. Who do a great job of covering the Mid West.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/sports
Caledonia Fan

Post by Caledonia Fan »

Good read on Caledonia and Waterloo last night. Good game last night I'm glad it wasn't a blow out. Like a lot of people thought it was going to be.

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6 ... al-opener/
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

oldtymer wrote:Porthockey1 : Caledonia finished the game off with an empty net goal. Waterloo made both St.Catharines & Niagara Falls look like a bunch of girls.
Its really too bad that you have so much hatred towards SC and NF as you make some valid comments then spurt out these types of comments. I don't know if it comes from the fact that Port 's team left or that they consistently lost to SC and NF but you really need to get over it.
What are you talking about. I gave a little bit of light humor. I forget how politically correct this forum is at times... I'm over it! :smt006
Last edited by Port hockey1 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Port hockey1

Post by Port hockey1 »

Caledonia Fan wrote:Good read on Caledonia and Waterloo last night. Good game last night I'm glad it wasn't a blow out. Like a lot of people thought it was going to be.

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6 ... al-opener/
Good read, but the way they butchered the spelling of Pawley's name was comical... He's only the the GOJHL scoring champion, not a household name or anything. :lol:
Sunnydays

Post by Sunnydays »

Rocketgirl your posts make me sick, I'm really not surprised that you had to bring up that rule change again I mean you had to find some way of bashing the corvairs because you really wouldn't know good hockey if it was right in front of you... Can't blame you though for having to watch that god awful team in Strathroy year after year. But you're right about one thing. You're not wanted or welcome in the HCCC.

As for the series Waterloo is a young hardworking team who has nothing to lose and just got a second chance at the Sutherland cup. Of course they're going to come out flying against a strong Caledonia squad.